X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gamer ISSUE 54 "The Outrun issue"

In all good newsagent with initials WHS on Thursday:

The Making of: OutRun
    It?s easily one of the best known arcade racers of all time, but what makes it so special? Creator Yu Suzuki has all the answers.
    Retroinspection: Intellivision
    Discover how Mattel nearly beat Atari at its own game.
    Retro Shamer: Bionic Granny
    This is quite possibly the worst game you?ll ever, ever play. You have been well and truly warned?
    Developer Lookback: Konami Part 2
    The final part of our Konami retrospective looks back at how the company?s past has helped shape its future.
    The Greatest Arcade Games Ever
    With so many arcade games available it was virtually impossible to choose our favourites. That didn?t stop us from having a good go though?
    The Making of: Cannon Fodder
    Jon Hare takes time out of his busy schedule to discuss the creation of one of Sensible Software?s most popular games.
    The Making of: Q*bert
    Discover how an orange blob with a penchant for swearing and isometric levels hit the arcade big time.
    Arcade Inspection: Neo-Geo MVS
    It?s one of the oldest running arcade boards of all time and launched SNK into the big leagues. Meet the MVS.
    The Making of: New International Track & Field
    Pat Phelan or Sumo Digital explains how the company resurrected Konami?s arcade classic for a brand new audience.
    And much, much more including; Toobin, Joust 2, Jaws, Bucky O?Hare, Forgotten Worlds, Crime Fighters, Salamander Deluxe Pack, Ruff 'n' Tumble...

^Wow, looks niiice.

Why is OutRun so sexy?

Comment

I wish we got magazines like that here in Australia

Comment

I just love Retro Gamer cover artwork

Comment

Great issue. I love the direction the mag has taken in recent months.

Interesting that the homebrew section is going to be made bigger... I just hope it's interviews with creators talking about tools and techniques rather than more 1/2 page reviews... which i'm not interested in at all really.

Odd that there wasn't a picture of Yu Suzuki to go with the article on him!

Comment

Nice issue again. Outrun feature was nice and the cover is top notch. Pity my other half didn't share my enthusiasm, as when I excitedly showed her the brilliant Outrun artwork she mearly shrugged
            Again there is a good balance of eras in the mag despite what the whinging 8 bit crew may think. I love the way that since Retro Gamer was 'relaunched' it's more like the classic era of mags, rather than a fanzine, but without losing the personal feel to it.

Comment

Great issue. The quality is getting higher each time as is the balance between 8-bit and 16-bit. My only niggle is too much DC/PS2/Xbox stuff - they're too recent IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                ^Wow, looks niiice.

Why is OutRun so sexy?
                Ferrari. Blonde Babe. Blue Skies.

What more could a man want? ... What a dream - and the music .... just makes it perfect.

I pray every night - for Outrun3.

Comment

Just got back from whsmiths with my copy, (bought it for the mvs and arcade articles)
                  bit dissapointed with no double dragon in the top 25 arcade games. Or golden axe even!

BTW in the collectors corner, that collection looks like i've seen it on these boards somewhere before?? Can't remember exactly whose though, Mayhem maybe ?

Comment

Originally posted by KusoGaki View Post
                    BTW in the collectors corner, that collection looks like i've seen it on these boards somewhere before?? Can't remember exactly whose though, Mayhem maybe ?
                    Yep, our Mayhem.

I also really like the way the mag has been going. I was considering cancelling the DD but not anymore.

Comment

Glad to hear people are starting to enjoy the content now. As I've said in the past, it's a delicate balancing act that we don't always get right, but we do listen to feedback and try and respond as quickly as possible.

I'm sure certain people won't enjoy next month's cover, but there's still going to be some great content inside.... Oh and wait until you see the massive coup (well massive in that you'd expect Edge or gamesTM to feature him) we have in issue 56.

He's not exactly shy when it comes to publicity, but I'm pretty sure that some of the stuff he's told us about his personal life may not be common knowledge to a lot of gamers.

Oh and it's not Matthew Smith...

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                        Yep, our Mayhem.
                        Ahhh I thought those SNES boxes looked familiar

Comment

Originally posted by KusoGaki View Post
                          Ahhh I thought those SNES boxes looked familiar
                          The Gamesmaster Golden Joystick jumped out at me when I first flicked through.

That bugger should have gotten a centerfold for all of his preciouses.

Comment

If anyone is interested in the rest of the shots I took that weren't featured, you can grab them here if you so desire...
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Some very lovely stuff in those photo's Mayhem.

Comment

Working...
                              X