Double Dragon on Retro Comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Dragon on Retro Comp?

Hey Retro-dudes. Please help me to get a quality fix of old-school arcade action!

One of my favourite coin-ops when I was a kid was Double Dragon. I've since had the Spectrum conversion and the Gameboy version, and a demo of Double Dragon 3 on the Amiga. So you can see I now really need to play a spot-on aracde conversion of Double Dragon on any of the recent consoles. Ideally it would be on the PS2 generation, but I am probably going to buy an XB360 or PS3 soon anyway. Is there a decent conversion? (please let there be one!)

I was playing Rainbow Islands on the Taito comp on PS2 last night, but missed the 'somewhere over the rainbow' theme tune. Is is possible to get a patched version? I also need an Arcade-perfect Outrun and Chase HQ (I used to play this on the ferry). I'm thinking the Saturn is the way to go here? was the Saturn version of Chase HQ any good? Just one more thing - Is Rad Mobile available in a perfect conversion anywhere?

Thanks guys.

Double Dragon is, i think, on xbox marketplace, so you can download it to a xbox 360. Chase h.q/s.c.i on the Saturn is a fantastic conversion, Chase h.q is also on one the japanese ps2 tatio memories collections (japanese version of tatio legends) Rad Mobile is avalible on the Saturn but is far from perfect.

Comment

Oh forgot about Outrun, Saturn version is the best conversion, also on Dreamcast.

Comment

Thanks SuperDanX . Do you know if Double Dragon on Xbox is the same as the original? - sometimes they 'enhance' the graphics and aply a smoothing effect.
        I will definitely go for the Saturn version of Outrun because they removed the Ferrari in the DC version I don't know if this is true, but I heard they were worried that Taito were also concerned about re-releasing Chase HQ because many of the cars are obvious copys of Porsche, Labourginis etc

Thats what was annoying me about Rainbow Islands - because they no longer had the licience to 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow'. Can you run MAME on Xbox 360 or PS3?

Thank you

Comment

Theres a first play thread for the xbox 360 version of Double Dragon that will answer all your questions. As for Chase hq, yeah it didnt make the western Tatio legends retro pack due to trademark licencing issues. Dont know about Mame on ps3/x360? Good luck

Comment

Avoid Outrun on the Dreamcast, it doesn't have the Ferrari license.

Saturn Outrun is the best version i've ever encountered. Its arcade perfect, simple as that. And there is a Japan mode with the different Japan coin op (altered track layout). But I believe you should get the standalone Japanese version over the Sega Ages version, I think stuff was altered in SA.

Chase HQ, I owned that Criminal investigation game on the Saturn... well its also easily the best version of Chase I've ever seen. Its damned perfect, and especially the first Chase HQ is one hell of a game. I don't know if the game still commands a high price (others like Gekirindan lowered big time, when released on compilations) but its a damned fun game. EDIT: seems to be lowered, 30 USD BIN.

Double Dragon on XBLA is arcade perfect too from what I've played, that is if you turn the filter off.
            Last edited by saturn-gamer; 23-08-2008, 22:28.

Comment

get yourself a PSP with Mame or the GP2X with Mame and you will be sorted for all manner of retro goodness

the Rad mobile on the Saturn or Gale racer as its known is not an arcade port of rad mobile, so stay away

also i have a spare chase HQ/SCI for the JPN Saturn if you want it
              Last edited by buster_broon; 23-08-2008, 23:18.

Comment

I don't know about the PSP,GPX. I don't like playing games on small screens. Mind you I think you can connect the GP2X to the TV, so perhaps not a bad idea. I think I may be able to get a copy of Saturn Chase HQ off a friend. I am really looking forward to playing it! With that and Double Dragon I would be in Retro Heaven!
                I am thinking of buying a XB360, but I may have to wait a few months to play DD I saw the new version of Chase HQ in Namco world (next to London Aquaruium), a few months back. It didn't look particularly outstanding - I couldn't play on it because I had to get going to meet a friend. I did get a go on Tekken 5 though, and it was noticable that the graphics were a fair bit better than the PS2 version (I played on the PS2 version when I got home). There seemed to be more polygons per character.
                Thank you for the help!

Comment

Double Dragon Advance on GBA is by far the best version of DD out there - it's an enhanced version that keeps the same levels, enemies and 'feel' but adds oodles of new stuff and plays great (so playable). I played the XBLA version of the original on my friend's son's 360 and it was pretty shat. Though I loved the arcade original as a kid, the gameplay feels really stilted and juddery these days. Trust me, get it on GBA.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    Double Dragon Advance on GBA is by far the best version of DD out there
                    Not a chance, the original NES version of DD is the best. Even the music is better on the NES version.
                    Last edited by Ajay1986; 26-08-2008, 18:42.

Comment

^Nah, it's not.

Comment

I'll chip in with a controversial (and very cheap) option... go for a soft modded Xbox and MAME. You can play games without filters like you wanted or add filters/scanlines if you change your mind. Soft modding is so easy to do and Xboxes go for what these days, ?20 odd?

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
                          Not a chance, the original NES version of DD is the best. Even the music is better on the NES version.
                          The first DD on the NES isn't really that good, especially not the 'infinite scrolling stage' on level 3 if you don't go into one of the holes Abobo comes out of.

The first DD on original gameboy is my personal favourite of the first game, partially because it's a bit similar in some ways to DD2 on the NES (my favourite DD game).

Quite liked the GBA one as well, i think it's a bit long though and i didn't really like having to use L or R buttons.

Comment

Working...
                          X