Famicom question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famicom question

Hi, would a regular UK NES power supply work with a standard Famicom? I know it works with the US NES, so should it work with a Famicom?

Yes it will. I use a SNES PSU on mine but they are functionally identical.

You can also use a multi-adaptor (one of those with selectable voltage and changeable plugs etc) if you can set it to the following:

AC100V 50/60Hz 18VA
    DC10V 850mA
    + ------ C------- -

Comment

hmm, snes psu fit a pal nes too? (just asking)

Comment

Yes, they are basically the same thing only with a different logo on the top.

Comment

Thanks man I knew those two were the same. Though it's odd the PAL NES/SNES PSU fits the Famicom and NES, but not the NTSC SNES :P

Comment

That might be because the US uses DC but Japan and the UK both use AC. I'm pretty sure most countries use AC as it's safer, allegedly.

Comment

The US is always backwards...

Comment

I a MD2 power supply with my AV Famicom.

Comment

I dunno why the US SNES has that massive power connector either. No UK adaptors fit it, unless they're specifically made to work with it (rare as hens bollocks and probably expensive too).

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                  That might be because the US uses DC but Japan and the UK both use AC. I'm pretty sure most countries use AC as it's safer, allegedly.
                  They all use AC on the grid. DC current can't be stepped up or down using those massive transformers you see at the end of the street, so that's probably why (and yes it's more dangerous at high voltage).

Comment

I have a good power supply for my US SNES. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be used for.. it's pretty odd. It has a SkyTronic logo, looks like it could be for mobile phones (though I don't see how it'd fit really).

Comment

Ok, so I got my famicom today and tried the UK power supply... but then something went BANG and smoke came out from the famicom Bugger.

Anyone up for fixing it? lol

Edit: I took it apart to have a quick look, and it seems that the bang might have been from the video wire connected to the yelow RCA plug coming off (though it might have broken off during shipping, not sure...).
                      Last edited by honeymustard; 29-08-2008, 13:35.

Comment

If you open it up (if you haven't done so already) and post / PM me some pics of the innards I might be able to tell you what's wrong. It could be either a shoddy mod, something that broke in transit and shorted out (a loose wire ended up touching something it shouldn't for example) or it could be the RF / power board has blown. Depending on what exactly happened it may still be repairable.

I'll need a pic of the entire machine's innards with the underside cover taken off, a close-up of each of the two boards and also a close-up of any obvious work that's been done to it (FYI any components visible on the underside of the machine are part of a mod, photo them plz!).

Comment

I've got a bunch of pictures, but this seems to be most useful:

You can see there's a hole in that component (looks like the voltage regulator), which doesn't look like it should be there lol.

Comment

Looks like it got shorted out alright. Probably got touched by that loose wire you mentioned as it's burnt through more on the outside. I'll have a look at mine later and if it's the same version of the board I can let you know what the part number is. You should be able to order a new one from Maplin or RS or somewhere like that and replace it.

Comment

I figured it all out from a number of different sources. Famicom uses DC and NES uses AC, so the voltage regulator blew from the AC. I've bought a replacement off ebay, so it should be an easy swap. And the MD1 power adapter is said to work perfectly, as it is DC (the MD2 doesn't fit the original famicom).

Comment

Working...
                              X