Game & Watch Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game & Watch Gallery

Anyone else a fan of the Game & Watch collections that were available on the Game Boy? I played them to death in the past but have only just got back into them having picked up G&W Gallery 2 for 50p.

They're amazing. Loads of quality retro action, often remade and re-imagined using Nintendo mascots and featuring loads of easter eggs and Achievement style score attack goals.

Also: I'd love to see a new one on DS. I know there was the Club Nintendo cart a few years back but it was very bare bones. They could do one with all of the twin screen games on. Just the thought of the Zelda one done using sprites from Link to the Past et al makes me all giddy.

So, anyone else like these collections? Which do you think is the best? What are your favourite individual games? And which old G&W handhelds do you love that haven't made it to a collection yet?

I prefer the actual game and watches myself, 'cos I like the chunky outdated designs more than the games. Having said that, I did like the juggling game from Gameboy Pocket Camera. Also the four game and watches hidden inside the Kanji Sonomama rakubiki jiten dictionary got me through some tiresome lectures in Japan, although I doubt anyone would have noticed if I'd brought in a full on gamecube + tv setup. I caught one professor trying to slyly sleep through his own lecture at the back of the class. They really do work too hard. No wonder they all go insane and kill people/play mahjong

Comment

Keep you eyes on the next issue of Retro Gamer if you're into all this G&W tomfoolery...

Comment

There was a game and watch collection for the gba, in case you didnt know. After a copy myself..

Comment

I love the Game & Watch galleries myself.

I've got all 6 of them actually. 4 GB ones,the GBA one and the DS one.
          My favourite would have to be G&W Gallery 4 on the GBA due to the sheer amount of games included.
          And also since it has both Donkey Kong and especially Donkey Kong JR, which is my favourite.

The game I most want to see appear on a future compilation is probably Popeye.
          It was the very first videogame that I could call my own. Got it for Easter when I was about 8 or so I think.
          But when we moved several years later it was one of the thing that got lost.

Didn't the G&W4 game say something like To Be Continued... when you unlocked everything?

Oh and I even got 13 original G&W systems in new/mint condition many years ago.
          Don't want to sell them or anything, but I'd rather get doubles to play instead of opening these up and playing around with such immaculate copies.
          Zelda's in there as well.

Comment

I never played the GBA one. I'd like to but I fear the minefield of pirated carts on eBay.

You're right about Popeye (the coin-op's good too) It's a shame that none of the licensed games (Popeye, Snoopy, Mickey & Donald) will never make it off the original hardware.

Oh and then there's Fire Attack... Probably not politically correct enough to ever see the light of day again.

Comment

Aye, more love for the gba gallery here, it sure keeps me from re-buying my old g&w's that I foolishly sold. And I can play climber for hours! its just brilliant, still

Comment

Working...
              X