Aalborg
Anorthosis Famagusta
Bate Borisov

ezee ryder
28-08-2008, 12:35 PM
What are the chances that we will get Roma again? :lol:

SharkSkin-Man
28-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Hoping for Munich, Zenit and Fiorentina for some nice away trips - would be a tough draw though.

hudson
28-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Or an emotional Atletico tie?

Kongster
28-08-2008, 02:02 PM
What are the chances that we will get Roma again? :lol:

Quite high I'd say. Back in the day, we kept getting drawn with Juventus or Bayern Munich in the group stages. :D

SharkSkin-Man
28-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Or an emotional Atletico tie?

Yeah, I always cry when I go to Madrid.

But yeah, it would be nice to see Luis and Pongolle again. Not a massive fan of the City though really.

Kongster
28-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Just found out that John Terry got won the Uefa Club Defender of the Year award and Frank Lampardhas won the UefaClub Midfielder of the Year. LOL!!

The draw so far

A: CHELSEA, Roma, Bordeaux
B: Internazionale, Werder Bremen
C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon
D: LIVERPOOL, PSV Eindhoven
E: MANCHESTER UNITED, Villarreal
F: Lyon, Bayern Munich
G: ARSENAL, Porto
H: Real Madrid, Juventus

Number45
28-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Celtic in with United. Nice.

Kongster
28-08-2008, 04:43 PM
THE GROUPS (third pot)
A: CHELSEA, Roma, Bordeaux
B: Internazionale, Werder Bremen, Panathinaikos
C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Basel
D: LIVERPOOL, PSV Eindhoven, Marseille
E: MANCHESTER UNITED, Villarreal, CELTIC
F: Lyon, Bayern Munich, Steaua Bucharest
G: ARSENAL, Porto, Fenerbahce
H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St Petersburg

hudson
28-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Shouldn't ladyboy of gotten Lumpalard's award?

Hey Kong, don't knock Villarreal. No mugs.

Kongster
28-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Ronaldo got the Uefa Club Forward of the Year award LOL

I wasn't knocking Villarreal - I just copied and pasted the text from the Guardian Football website (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/aug/28/championsleague), honest! I deleted the "Easiest" word out of respect :D

Number45
28-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Not an easy group for United I don't think. Aalborg should be weak enough to guarantee six points for the other three teams.

hudson
28-08-2008, 04:50 PM
haha, don't like Liverpool's chances. Wonder what Torres thinks about playing his old club?

Kongster
28-08-2008, 04:54 PM
So here's how the draw finished:

A: CHELSEA, Roma, Bordeaux, Cluj.
B: Internazionale, Werder Bremen, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis.
C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk.
D: LIVERPOOL, PSV Eindhoven, Marseille, Atletico Madrid.
E: MANCHESTER UNITED, Villarreal, CELTIC, Aalborg.
F: Lyon, Bayern Munich, Steaua Bucharest, Fiorentina.
G: ARSENAL, Porto, Fenerbahce, Dynamo Kiev.
H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St Petersburg, Borisov

I'm fairly confident that Man United can qualify from Group E, though the away ties against Villarreal and Celtic will be difficult games. There should be quite an atmosphere at Parkhead , I'd imagine :D

Number45
28-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Group F's a toughy, blimey.

Kongster
28-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Whereas Group C is Barcelona's to lose. Good for them.

abigsmurf
28-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Chelsea have a nice easy group. Only Roma should prove tough.

Liverpool's group is pretty tough but no doubt they'll squeeze through with goals in the 89th minute when they're on the verge of going out.

Arsenal should go through but may be second.

Man U and celtic should go through but villareal could take Celtic's place.

ezee ryder
28-08-2008, 06:04 PM
So here's how the draw finished:

A: CHELSEA, Roma, Bordeaux, Cluj.
B: Internazionale, Werder Bremen, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis.
C: Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon, Basel, Shakhtar Donetsk.
D: LIVERPOOL, PSV Eindhoven, Marseille, Atletico Madrid.
E: MANCHESTER UNITED, Villarreal, CELTIC, Aalborg.
F: Lyon, Bayern Munich, Steaua Bucharest, Fiorentina.
G: ARSENAL, Porto, Fenerbahce, Dynamo Kiev.
H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit St Petersburg, Borisov

I'm fairly confident that Man United can qualify from Group E, though the away ties against Villarreal and Celtic will be difficult games. There should be quite an atmosphere at Parkhead , I'd imagine :D

Yeah I think we will get through but the games at Celtic and Villarreal will be tough. Aalborg? Never heard of em. :s

The other English teams should also get through, I can see Arsenal having a tough time though. Away games at Fenerbahce and Kiev won't be easy!

Group H is a bit of a corker though eh? Juve and Madrid with the surprise team from last year, Zenit. Borisov will the the whipping boys though!

hudson
28-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Haha, you're such a bitter gimp.

Liverpool's group is pretty tough but no doubt they'll squeeze through with goals in the 89th minute when they're on the verge of going out.

Kongster
28-08-2008, 06:26 PM
^ LOL What's this? NTSC-uk's version of Mourinho vs Benitez?

In all seriousness, although Liverpool have the toughest group out of all the English teams, I reckon they'll qualify from their group.

Liverpool have played Marseille and PSV before and will know what to expect. And Benitez knows all there is to know about Atletico Madrid considering his knowledge of Spansih Football.

hudson
28-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Sorry, I just can't stand Abigsmeg and his constant Liverpool bitterness yawn talk. He seems so hurt by us for some reason. Concentrate on your team of Pokemen.

SharkSkin-Man
28-08-2008, 06:46 PM
We wont even concede a goal, piece of piss.

Kongster
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
The draw for the knock phase for the last 16 is a week on Friday. So until then, let's speculate on the possibilities!

LAST 16 QUALIFIERS
Group winners: Roma, Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Porto, Juventus.
Others: Chelsea, Inter Milan, Sporting, Atletico Madrid, Villarreal, Lyon, Arsenal, Real Madrid.

Manchester United
Possible opponents:Inter Milan, Sporting, Atletico Madrid, Lyon, Real Madrid.

Liverpool
Possible opponents:Inter Milan, Sporting, Villarreal, Lyon, Real Madrid.

Chelsea
Possible opponents:Panathinaikos, Barcelona , Bayern Munich, Porto, Juventus.

Arsenal
Possible opponents: Roma, Panathinaikos, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus.

Adrock
10-12-2008, 09:56 PM
On current form you'd be happy to go with anybody but Inter Milan for Liverpool really.

Sporting, Villarreal and Lyon are all decent enough teams but ones that Liverpool are eminently capable of dealing with and moving on to the next round. Same goes for United really.

Chelsea and Arsenal have tough teams apart from Panathinaikos I suppose. Looking like finishing top definitely has helped. Lets hope Inter get drawn against United first out of the hat, leaving Liverpool to scoop up Sporting.

abigsmurf
11-12-2008, 07:53 AM
A draw against anyone other than bloody barcelona would make me happy.

VR46
19-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Come on UEFA, get on with it. 11.09 and they're still waffling on.

VR46
19-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Chelsea v Juventus
Villarreal v Panathinaikos
Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid v Porto
Lyon v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Arsenal v Roma
Inter Milan v Manchester United

Pretty tough games for all us English teams.

ezee ryder
19-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Bloody Mourinho! :lol:

2 ties stand out there:

Inter Milan vs Man Utd
Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Mouth watering prospect of some tasty football there. (Probably end up 0-0 now that I said that)

EJG1980
19-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks good for the big guns who survive their matches as at least a couple of the "lesser" clubs will be in the quarters. Some cracking ties there, Ranieri back to the bridge and Mourhino against Fergie.

I was expecting Arsenal vs Roma as, having a soft spot for Roma, Arsenal are the team I would least like to knock them out :) Roma are back in good form recently though, if they can beat Chelsea I think they can knock out Arsenal.

SharkSkin-Man
19-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Happy with that. It's always seemed a bit wrong that Real have never played at Anfield.

EJG1980
19-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Bloody Mourinho! :lol:

2 ties stand out there:

Inter Milan vs Man Utd
Liverpool vs Real Madrid

Mouth watering prospect of some tasty football there. (Probably end up 0-0 now that I said that)

Barca vs Lyon and Arsenal vs Roma should also be pretty tasty. Four teams that all like to play good football (especially with Barca playing such amazing stuff this season). It's going to be a nightmare choosing what match to watch! I'll probably end up flicking through most of them on the Sky multiscreen :blink:

Pilotwings
19-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Inter have to get whipped!

All the games look interesting.

Kongster
19-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Inter? Bring 'em on! If we want to win and retain the European Cup, then we're gonna have to beat the very best Europe has to offer. Yes, we could have got an easier tie but if a tie against Serie A's finest doesn't bring out the best in us then nothing will.

It'll be tough against Inter and Mourinho has a good record against us. But this tie gives us a chance to set the record straight.

hudson
19-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah Inter are easy. We waltzed through last season.

Pilotwings
19-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Inter are crap in the CL.

Kongster
19-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't underestimate Inter - they are a better team under Mourinho.

And yes, Inter may not have been at their best in the group stage. But your form in the group stage counts for nothing in the knock out phase and they'll be a totally different proposition against us. Plus they got the advantage of playing the 1st leg at home.

Anyway, hopefully Ibrahimovic will go missing on the big stage once again :D

yesteryeargames
ah we will win :) cant wait to make mourinHo cry

chelsea vs juve the cheats tie ;)

VR46
Shame we have to wait about nine weeks for the first leg matches. We could all be playing very differently by then.

Most January transfers will be CL tied I guess so don't suppose they'll come in to the equation.

ezee ryder
19-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Anyway, hopefully Ibrahimovic will go missing on the big stage once again :D

Quite possibly the most overrated striker in the world, I despise him just as much as I despise Drogba! (That's the cue for him to score now against us)

Kongster
19-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Don't worry if Rio is on his game, he won't get a sniff. ;)

I'm gonna try and source a ticket for the 1st leg of the Inter game - I'd love to go to the San Siro. :D

abigsmurf
19-12-2008, 09:17 PM
no easy draws for any English side but I'm chuffed we avoided Barcelona. I'd be suprised if every team made it to the next round.

ezee ryder
08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Barcelona are 4-0 up against Bayern, stunning scoreline!

C'
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Barca have to be favourites to win it this year. They look absolutely phenomenal.

abigsmurf
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Would've still rather drawn them than Liverpool mind.

EJG1980
08-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I've been switching between the two matches. Amazing stuff from Barca. I think I'll watch that in the second half and see if they can run up a cricket score! Plus Andy Gray was getting on my nerves on the other match, it's been good compared to previous Liv vs Che matches, but he's talking like it's the best match he's ever seen!!

abigsmurf
08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Andy Gray is usually unbearable talking about liverpool, especially when talking about 'his boy Stevie G!'. I've had the sound off (I miss crowd noise only).

hudson
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I've had the sound off (I miss crowd noise only).

Oh dear.

abigsmurf
08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I dislike most football commentary, I only keep the Setanta commentary on in matches because it's so amusing. Too much punditry, not enough talking about what's going on

C'
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Andy Gray is usually unbearable talking about liverpool, especially when talking about 'his boy Stevie G!'. I've had the sound off (I miss crowd noise only).

I thought his laughing off of Lucas' blatant push on Ivanovic in the penalty area quite amusing. Didn't at all brush over the fact it should have been a blatant penalty :lol:

Kongster
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
With the exception of Barcelona, the home teams haven't made the most of playing at home in the first leg of the quarter finals.

ezee ryder
08-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Hope the trend continues so we manage to get past Porto! :D

C'
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Suddenly needing to beat Porto by one goal doesn't seem too bad :lol:

Kongster
08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
After what I saw at Anfield tonight, I don't feel so bad now about drawing 2-2 with Porto last night! We still have it all to do though.

EJG1980
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Which is why nearly every manager seems to prefer having the away leg first, so if you cock it up you've at least got a home tie coming up to sort it out. I saw some stats about it recently (can't remember where) and the team who plays the away leg first goes through quite a bit more often than those playing at home first.

saturn-gamer
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Barca have to be favourites to win it this year. They look absolutely phenomenal.

Maybe. Not to bring down their performance, but Bayern DID miss its whole defensive lineup. Also, they ARE in horrible form also losing 5-1 to Wolfsburg.

IDK where Barca truly stands. They did not have the hardest group, and faced Lyon before. Their position play is impressive, seems to be influenced by JC's total football. Their strike force is sickening, with Sammy, Messi and Henry. It can be good enough to beat anyone but I have yet to see if they can combine so freely against a team like Chelsea.

The semi's will be their first formidable opponent in this CL. I am looking forward to that clash.

Kongster
09-04-2009, 04:10 PM
If we [Man United] were to play Barca in the final, I'd be bricking it everytime Messi has the ball - it'd be open season for him especially with the way we have been defending lately!

fatbatch
28-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Very disappointing so far - hope Barcelona find their cohesion second half.

abigsmurf
29-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Predictions for tonights game?

I can't see it being an especially exciting game. There may be a one or two out of the blue chances but Arsenal won't want to risk getting demolished by playing too offensively and Man U will go for a goal but will make sure they don't commit so much as to be hit by counter attacks, they won't want an away goal.

It's been hyped even more than the Barcelona vs Chelsea tie but, like that, both teams are probably going to aim to cancel each other out.

Not sure who I'd like to get in the final if we get through, possibly Arsenal because I know fewer fans and the "ITS A REMATCH!!!!" hype by the pundits would be tiresome if Man U get through.

toythatkills
29-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Arsenal will absolutely play offensively. They don't have the defence to try and play for a clean sheet, especially against United, so they'll attack. An away goal is essential, too, since you'd fancy United to score at the Emirates, again, Arsenal's defence is far too weak - even weaker with injuries.

VR46
29-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Yeah I think we'll see a goal or two tonight, depends if Man U are on top form how the game will pan out. My prediction, they'll be well up for it, so 2-1 to Man U.

jezzace
29-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Yep, Arsenal will definately be banking on taking an away goal into the next leg. Man U will definately want to score, but Ferguson has said he doesn't want to concede. 2-1 to man u sounds a safe bet but I can see this going all the way to pens next week.

arcnas
29-04-2009, 02:55 PM
i dont arsenal will score at old trafford they dont have enough up front to trouble vidic and ferdinand i dont think, with no van persie or arshavin , utd should go for it and ronaldo and rooney up against gibbs and silvestre will have a field day.

ezee ryder
29-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I think we should go for it, like we did after going 2-0 down on Saturday. Play Tevez and Berbatov up front with Ronaldo on the right and Rooney playing from the left. I don't think Fergie will do that but I think that is the way we should go and really test the Arsenal defense.

abigsmurf
29-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm still going to go for a 1-0 or 0-0. Wenger should be going all out but he hasn't got the squad to be able to afford to do so.

abigsmurf
29-04-2009, 06:58 PM
absolutely shocking defence by Arsenal for that goal.

abigsmurf
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Predictions for tonight's game?

If Arsenal put out a display like they did the last game, the players (and manager) deserve a slap. They should be stronger in attacking but they're still going to be cursed with a weak defence.

I think Man U will attack strongly for the first 10 minutes to test Arsenal then sit back on the single goal if they haven't scored by then. If Man U get an Away goal, it'll be all over.

C'
05-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Arsenal were shockingly poor last week and any repeat of that will put Man Utd through to the final no problem. I honestly think Utd will score at least one goal tonght and that gives a massive task to Arsenal. Should we score 2 goals, it's all but over I think.

EJG1980
05-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Score draw I reckon. I think Arsenal will go for it and put Man U under a lot of pressure, but the leaky defence and Man U's counter attacking ability will keep pegging them back. 1-1 or 2-2.

abigsmurf
05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
*slaps arsenal*

poor showing from them.

ezee ryder
05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
*hugs United players*

Great showing from them :D

EJG1980
05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Well my prediction was way out (hurrah! :D ), never expected Arsenal to show so little fight. I suppose the earliness of the two goals completely demoralised them but you'd think that you'd go even more all out attack when it looks like an impossible task. At least try and grab a draw for some pride!

abigsmurf
05-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Arsenal never recovered from that mistake that lead to the goal. They started strongly but their resolve collapsed after it. They've been bad for both legs

tom-nook
05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
That's a real shame for Darren Fletcher.

Fair enough that refs make mistakes but UEFA's inability to overturn these decisions is a joke.

ezee ryder
05-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Arsenal never recovered from that mistake that lead to the goal. They started strongly but their resolve collapsed after it. They've been bad for both legs

I know you will find it hard to admit but we have played our part in that, played the perfect game away from Europe.

abigsmurf
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Not exactly a huge difference from the way they played in the first leg. They just haven't been any good. It's been a fairly uninteresting tie because it just hasn't really been contested.

You just need to look at Wenger having his face in his hands most of the game, that's someone who knows his team have been incredibly not that they other team have put on something special.

ezee ryder
05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
:lol:

Like I said you will find it hard to admit (true) that we actually played well. I could say the Chelsea tie last week was extremely boring and only one team was trying to win but still can admit that Chelsea played well. They didn't pose an attacking threat at all but they stuck to their gameplan and fought out a 0-0 draw.

C'mon Barca!

glazza
05-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Like I said you will find it hard admit (true) that we actually played well. I could say the Chelsea tie last week was extremely boring and only one team was trying to win but still can admit that Chelsea played well. They didn't pose an attacking threat at all but they as they stuck to their gameplan and fought out a 0-0 draw.

C'mon Barca!

GO Ezee,Go Ezee..:):)

ezee ryder
05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Just find it funny when certain opposition fans can't admit United played well. Yes I know most football fans hate United (due to their success :p) but surely as a football fan sometimes you have to say "yeah they played well".

Yes, Arsenal were not brilliant over the two legs but is none of that down to United actually playing well?! It is not like Arsenal just laid down and died infront of us, we had to work for both wins. Yeah, you might say "oh the goals came from defensive mistakes" or "one goal was a free-kick" but our players had to do something for those mistakes to happen.

If Ronaldo didn't put that cross in then Gibbs wouldn't have slipped and Park wouldn't have scored. If a corner wasn't forced then O'Shea would have never scored that goal. As for the free kick, well Ronaldo still had a lot of work to do and boy did he do it in style.

Once again, C'MON BARCA!

Adrock
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I dont think you could ever say Chelsea played well last week. They did exactly what abigsmurf and myself have been bemoaning all season. They turned up to a team that was quite clearly better footballing technicians and set out to stop them from playing.

I've lost count the number of times we've both complained about teams getting plaudits for that. So lets stop being polite and tell the truth. What Chelsea did last week was poor. Lets hope tomorrow night is something better.

As for tonights game, I missed it. Looks like another United vs Chelsea final.

ezee ryder
05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm not being polite or anything, just telling it like I saw it. I can certainly (unfortunately) say Chelsea played well last week and I will. ;)

You're right about one thing though, Barcelona are the better footballing side and Chelsea played well to stop them playing their free flowing attacking football that everybody loves. What they did last week wasn't poor it was spot on tactics from Hiddink and he deserves praise for that. You only needed to watch the Barca vs Madrid match on the weekend to see what could have happened if Chelsea played openly.

You can complain about it all you want but no inferior footballing side (unless they wanna get hammered) is going to come out and play openly against a superior footballing team, it usually means defeat. You might get the odd occasion where the inferior team will come out to attack which could surprise the oppostion resulting in a shock win but that is very very rare. If one team is so much better than the other then their class should eventually shine through, if they are good enough that is :p

It's only sour grapes when people come out and say "why give <insert inferior team name here> credit when they clearly just wanted to stifle <insert superior team name here>?!" It also take a certain amount of skill and team discipline to stop the someone like Barca playing to their strengths, which is something Chelsea and Man Utd did perfectly hence they got the credit for it.

Yes it is great to watch end to end attacking football but there is also a certain amount of entertainment watching another team tactically outsmarting another, there are many facets to football and not just one.

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
I dont think you could ever say Chelsea played well last week. They did exactly what abigsmurf and myself have been bemoaning all season. They turned up to a team that was quite clearly better footballing technicians and set out to stop them from playing.

I've lost count the number of times we've both complained about teams getting plaudits for that. So lets stop being polite and tell the truth. What Chelsea did last week was poor. Lets hope tomorrow night is something better.

As for tonights game, I missed it. Looks like another United vs Chelsea final.

There's a difference between the way we played against Barcelona and the woeful performances we put in the first half of the season. We were actively playing for that result. Barcelona were on a roll, they have the most intimidating stadium and crowd in Europe (which also helps then when they dive left right and center). Stopping them from scoring was our intent and we did it well, outside of a couple of chances, they didn't look like scoring.

I'm not a huge fan of playing that style but in that atmosphere, if you let in a goal, it's next to impossible to get their spirits up.

Barcelona cannot deal with Drogba (he was aggressively marked last game) at all and he'll be fired up for this game.

We've put up good performances against Barcelona in the past when they've had supposedly the best side in the world, it annoys me we've not gotten credit for this and instead it's a Barcelona love fest (yet when other teams play against them it's "even the neutrals will be cheering on the English side".

SharkSkin-Man
06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
they have the most intimidating stadium and crowd in Europe

Not really sure that is true.

Matt
06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Other than for footballing reasons, I hope Chelsea don't go through. 2 English teams in the finals again will upset the Powers That Be. Then the final is at a rather notorious stadium where there are usually instances, anything happens they'll come down hard on English clubs regardless of it being caused by fans or locals. I'm amazed the stadium wasn't changed after the recent troubles. Had that been in England, the final would have been moved. But it's ok, because it's in Italy :s

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm not especially happy with another all english final (I'd much rather the final and this tie get swapped) but those are the cards you get dealt. Chelsea do seem to get very similar cards a lot of the time though.

I think this is strike 2 though, a third all English final and they'll reduce the number of places English teams get. It's not good for the competition and European football in general.

Flabio
06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Tough titties, if other countries aren't good enough then so be it.

Our allocation of places for next seasons tournament is different though. Instead of 2 into the groups and 2 into the prelims it's now 3 into the groups and 1 into the prelims.

C'
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I like how abigsmurf is talking as though the fact that we're having a second all-English final is already decided.

Seems to be forgetting his team still have to beat a very good Barcelona side this evening.

Barcelona don't even have to win to go through. A score draw is enough for them.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
We've put up good performances against Barcelona in the past when they've had supposedly the best side in the world, it annoys me we've not gotten credit for this and instead it's a Barcelona love fest (yet when other teams play against them it's "even the neutrals will be cheering on the English side".

Am I missing something here?! :s

Pretty much all footballing pundits gave Chelsea credit for going to the Nou Camp and stopping Barca scoring. Infact even many people on here (unlike some people :p) said Chelsea did a great job so I you're just seeing something that is not there.

Saying that though.....C'MON BARCA!

I'm not especially happy with another all english final (I'd much rather the final and this tie get swapped) but those are the cards you get dealt. Chelsea do seem to get very similar cards a lot of the time though.

I think this is strike 2 though, a third all English final and they'll reduce the number of places English teams get. It's not good for the competition and European football in general.

Oh and I don't get all this negativity towards English clubs doing well in the Champions League?! I said it before and I will say it again, did the Italian or Spanish fans complain when their teams were dominating the competition a while back?! I don't think so, it's only the English fans who complain when their top four start dominating the Champions League. "Destroying my love for Champions League football" or "Oh no them again", I just don't get it. It's like people are looking for something to complain about which is ridiculous. It is up to the other sides to up their game to stop the English clubs dominating, not the other way around.

arcnas
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I just cant see chelsea stopping barcelona scoring , but so will chelsea, but chelsea lack of trying to score last week could come back to haunt them, i would prefer utd to play barca mind you as they are so poor at the back. i would fancy us to beat them and what are the odds of rooney stopping messi on the wing if it is barcelona

Nu-Eclipse
06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
what are the odds of rooney stopping messi on the wing if it is barcelona

Considering that Messi danced past Utd players at will last season at Old Trafford in the 2nd leg of a semi-final tie that Utd were pretty fortunate to get through on their way to the trophy, I would imagine that the odds wouldn't be good at all.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Considering that Messi danced past Utd players at will last season at Old Trafford in the 2nd leg of a semi-final tie that Utd were pretty fortunate to get through on their way to the trophy, I would imagine that the odds wouldn't be good at all.

At will?! Nah not really, he had a couple of good runs (remember he twisted Scholes inside out) but he had no end product at all hence Barca didn't score. Infact I don't really remember Barca having many clear cut chances over the two legs, we dealt with them pretty well.

Obviously he is quality player and you can only restrain him so much but I would back our midfield/defense to do that pretty well. :)

glazza
06-05-2009, 07:13 PM
At will?! Nah not really, he had a couple of good runs (remember he twisted Scholes inside out) but he had no end product at all hence Barca didn't score. Infact I don't really remember Barca having many clear cut chances over the two legs, we dealt with them pretty well.

Obviously he is quality player and you can only restrain him so much but I would back our midfield/defense to do that pretty well. :)

At will my arse ..i was there and he did 2 at most and like Ezee already said he had no end product and besides Messis little curler that went a good yard wide and a tame header by Henry that was about it for Barca that night.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Well that comment did come from a Liverpool fan, last thing they want is for United to win another European Cup ;)

As for the match going on right now, well Barca have been poor and Messi has done absolutely nothing. That has nothing to do with Chelsea playing well though, it is all down to Barca playing poor :p

glazza
06-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I dont think any of them are playing well at all Ezee just they are seperated by a wonder strike..:)

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Chelsea are playing more to their game plan than barca are though.

Ajay1986
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
The game is pretty much a carbon copy of last years semi final, once again all the stats point to Barca except the one that matters. In my opinion again showing that Barca are just used to walking through very poor defenses in Spain.

Kongster
06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
English teams have Barca sussed out, eh?

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah I said that last week, the English teams have the discipline to defend well over two legs against sides like Barca and stifle their creativity. What has Messi done? What has Eto'o done? What has Iniesta done? I think the answer to all three questions would be not much at all.

C'
06-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Barcelona seem to be knocking on the door here. Totally dominating the game and gaps in Chelsea's defence seem to be appearing.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Iniestaaaaaaaaa!

C'
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
LOL

Conspiracy Therories incoming in...

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
They did not deserve that. Ref was an embarassment to his profession.

Sorry, I've never seen so many clear, blatent penalties not given.

glazza
06-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Iniestaaaaaaaaa!

Lols Ezee bet you sat there with your barca shirt on..hehehe..:)

glazza
06-05-2009, 08:42 PM
They did not deserve that. Ref was an embarassment to his profession.

Sorry, I've never seen so many clear, blatent penalties not given.

Agree with you Smurfy but you havre to be honest mate despite all the free kicks and pens you should off had untill you got that second goal at 1-0 there was always a chance Barca would register one shot at goal and they did and has proven to be the killer blow.

Matt
06-05-2009, 08:44 PM
LOL

Conspiracy Therories incoming in...

Absolutely perfect timing :thumb:

Pilotwings
06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Credit to barca, they kept chugging away with 10 men and got the goal.

amazing final awaits!

fatbatch
Shame Mourinho isn't the Chelsea manager now - would be an good press conference after that ...

merf
good, i can't stand chelsea and their negative ways, problem is Barca have no defence for the final now with Abidal and the overated Alves banned and Marquez injured

you set out to play negative anti football and you are asking for something like that to happen

oh and Malouda looked like a Pikmin with that hairstyle

Hellrun
That was a complete abomination of football. That referee ruined the match completely. I haven't seen so many blatant penalties denied in any match, Abidal's sending off was a complete disgrace and to be honest I'm a little lost for words on how it's being allowed to happen. Something needs to be done about how football is referreed because the current setup is clearly not working.

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I agree with Drogba

"It was a ****ing fix"

Pilotwings
06-05-2009, 08:49 PM
I agree with Drogba

"It was a ****ing fix"

What about the red card barca got. Huh huh huh huh?

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Lols Ezee bet you sat there with your barca shirt on..hehehe..:)

Have you got a camera watching me?! ;)

Should be a nice final with Barca, all the players they have missing and all.

I agree with Drogba

"It was a ****ing fix"

Nah, it is just football. :)

Kongster
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
What about the red card barca got. Huh huh huh huh?

Blinkers lol

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah you didn't see Barca players running around like thugs and abusing the referee for what was a shocking decision.

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah Barcelona were really hard done by with the decisions in that match...

Matt
06-05-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't have Sky Sports at home, and didn't go out tonight, so I missed it. Are their highlights on regular TV tonight? Though from what's being said, "highlights" may be too strong a word....

Kongster
06-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Don't worry it's only a matter of time before it appears on youtube....

abigsmurf
06-05-2009, 08:57 PM
They could fill the highlights with penalty shouts not given.

James Mc Fadden
06-05-2009, 08:58 PM
All I can say right now is LOL @ Chelski.

Hellrun
06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Or they could use the highlights to make a video demonstration titled " How not to referee".

Pilotwings
06-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Only bad thing about this, is not being able to laugh at Terry sob in the final again!

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Or they could use the highlights to make a video demonstration titled " How not to referee".

or "Football player or Football hooligan? Starring Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack"

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Only bad thing about this, is not being able to laugh at Terry sob in the final again!

I was kinda scared at the prospect of him getting his own back had Chelsea got to the final lol. He would have loved nothing more than a bit of revenge after all the stick he has taken :D

EJG1980
06-05-2009, 09:05 PM
or "Football player or Football hooligan? Starring Didier Drogba and Michael Ballack"

True, if it was a foreign team that had acted the same way the Sky pundits would be giving them a right pasting. Although I'm not watching anymore so maybe they are, but Souness seemed to be excusing them :)

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Look on the bright side, those people complaining that an all English final would have "destroyed their love for European football" have got what they want. ;) :p

Looking forward to May 27th, we have a great chance of retaining the Champions League.

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
To be honest I didn't really fancy playing Chelsea in the final lol.

Hellrun
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM

I was disappointed they didn't stove his head in tbh, that probably would have been more apropriate

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
To be honest I didn't really fancy playing Chelsea in the final lol.

Thanks to Iniesta's stunner we won't have to. :D

I was disappointed they didn't stove his head in tbh, that probably would have been more apropriate

Maybe but it would've been but it still wouldn't have got them a place in the final.

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh aye, I'm just as chuffed about that :D

Ajay1986
06-05-2009, 09:31 PM
I hope Man U win it now just so we can still stick it to Platini, can't stand the man and his total distain towards English football.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Well even if we lose clearly we can cry "That game was fixed! It was fixed the moment the referee sent off Fletcher!". Platini asked Guardiola which United player he wanted to miss the final and he identified Fletcher as a key player, so they ordered the referee to send him off at some point in the game.

This is all true. Trust me.

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I trust you ;)

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I trust you ;)

Now only if I could get the FBI, MI6 or Santa Claus to believe me.

Kieran76
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Does this now mean that Hiddink is not as good a manager as Grant?
Grant took them from not as high in the league to a better posistion and to two cup finals didn't he?

Get Avram back in! Hidddink Out!

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Now only if I could get the FBI, MI6 or Santa Claus to believe me.

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Does this now mean that Hiddink is not as good a manager as Grant?
Grant took them from not as high in the league to a better posistion and to two cup finals didn't he?

Get Avram back in! Hidddink Out!

Yeah bring back Uncle Fester.....I mean Avram Grant.

http://www.carolinawatercooler.com/fester.jpg

Kongster
06-05-2009, 09:48 PM
He was the ref tonight and lost a few pounds, too.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45743000/jpg/_45743184_ballackpa.jpg

ezee ryder
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM
I think you're onto something. Maybe I was wrong and Avram Grant was the referee, he came back to get his revenge for Chelsea sacking him! Platini tapped him up!

Anpanman
07-05-2009, 04:34 AM
Bugger, had to have an early night to get up for an early start (already been up over an hour) so missed all this, wish I'd stayed up now now.

Some of the banter over in the Chelsea thread is priceless.

Much prefer Barca in the final, if we were to lose much rather have Barca doing it over us with pure football rather than Chelsea playing the boring stuff and their players beating people up just because they didn't get a particular throw-in etc.

abigsmurf
07-05-2009, 05:53 AM
yeah... 4 blatent penalties, some of which stopped clear goal scoring chances. That's the same as not getting a throw in.

Every other attack Barcelona fouled or came close to fouling a chelsea player.