Megadrive Video Modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megadrive Video Modes

UPDATDE - Actually, just found this - http://assemblergames.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=27 which states it's the equivalent of 480i, can anyone confirm?

Can anyone point me to any info regarding the video mode(s) the Megadrive supports?

I've just got a JS Technology RGB to Component convert to try and improve the picture quality on my Samsung LCD. Whilst it works when my MD is in 50hz mode my TV says Mode Not Supported when in 60hz mode.

although to be honest, the picture quality of the MD through the converter isn't that much improved. I was thinking of of trying a component to VGA upscaler next to see if that worked.

Over the weekend I will try my other retro consoles out using the converter to see how they appear through it.

Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by mmmonkey; 28-08-2008, 20:10.

PAL: 256x240 and 320x240
    NTSC: 256x224 and 320x224

The 2 player mode in Sonic 2 had a bizzare interlaced mode which doubled the number of lines. End result shimmery 320x480 in the PAL version.

Comment

excellent, cheers

Comment

Some tips here as well: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Comment

Probably the Samsung LCD I'm afraid mmmonkey, I have a Sammy myself and retro looks absolutely toss on it, if it even works.

I've tried RGB to Component converter and even XRGB.

Mine's a Samsung "Bordeaux" 32".. this may not help, but you may be fighting a losing battle.

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAargh, it's a beauty for modern stuff, absolute pants for retro. I tried it all on my brothers cheapo LG and it actually looks pretty good.

I thought the XRGB series were the bees knees?

Comment

they are but they have problems with some LCD screens. I have trouble with my XRGB2+ on my Mitsubishi TFT monitor but it works like a dream on my mates Sharp Aquos. Use the XRGB on a CRT screen though and you'll get fantastic results every time. I'm after a 20 inch plus CRT PC monitor now just for Retro gaming.

Yakumo

Comment

I see, cheers for the info

Oh, and CMcK - very interesting link

Comment

A while back I was so close on buying a new flatscreen TV, however I made one last check up online that Retro would work fine on it before buying.
                  As it seems like such a grey area right now, im holding back until there is a solid information base on which TVs work the best etc.
                  From reading this thread and a few others, it sounds like there are alot of disapointed people out there!

Comment

Even on my HD CRT (1080i) Retro still looks ****ty. Anything lower than a Saturn is piss poor. And what's more crazy is that a Mega Drive or SFC look better through crappy composite than S-Video on this TV. MAD!

Yakumo

Comment

I forgot I had posted this a while back. I'm now running 60hz only retro consoles on my Samsung I got hold of an XRGB2 (not the plus model) from another member, after a bit of tinkering just to get the box to work I'm pleased with the results

If I'm sat too close to the TV then I can see a wobbly shimmering effect, but sat back on the sofa it looks fine. Obviously not as good as a CRT, but much more convenient than trying to play games on the portable CRT upstairs though!

Comment

Does the XRGB match your monitor's resolution, so it's "pixel perfect"?

Comment

Mine (XRGB2+) looks very good but again there is that very light shimmering effect. But what I found is that you can fine tune the image (not sure if you can do it on the normal XRGB2) that will alter the shimmering effect. I have it shimmering at the bottom of the screen so that 80% of it is rock solid. YOu can't even notice the shimmering to be honest unless you look for it. As for matching my monitor's resolution so it's "pixel perfect", I don't know. My monitor resolution infor says it's running in 640x480 mode so I guess it's upscailing the image to that.

Yakumo

Comment

I did a bit of messing around to reduce the shimmering, can't remember the options off the top of my head - I think it was DTC settings. It reduced it a lot, but not eliminated it totally - I'm happy with it though.

I think the XRGB2 only outputs at 640x480, as far as I know it's the XRGB3 that lets you select different outputs (but I think some of the higher ones introduce lag)

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              Even on my HD CRT (1080i) Retro still looks ****ty. Anything lower than a Saturn is piss poor. And what's more crazy is that a Mega Drive or SFC look better through crappy composite than S-Video on this TV. MAD!

Yakumo
                              Agreed! I have bought Sonic on MD originally,the all 3 games on Gameboy Advance & finally the recent Xbox Live offers, but the best version to play by FAR is the GP2X F200 emulation. The small screen is perfect for MD games and it's no surprise that commercial handhelds are now available for MD. (No counting the orignal MD Handheld that shat batteries).

If you own the games, then I feel the GP2X is the best way to enjoy them at the present time.

Comment

Working...
                              X