PC Engine, blank screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine, blank screen?

I got around to modding my original white PC Engine for RGB yesterday. I had no way of testing the machine before doing the mod as my TV didn't like the Japanese RF signal.

So, I finished the mod, I double checked the continuity of my soldering and I've tried getting the RGB and Sync signal from both the chip and the expansion bus and I get the same. When I switch it on I only get a white screen, no sound at all. My TV does switch to 60hz mode.

I've got a handful of games and they all do the same, so then I tried it without a game inserted and it's still a white screen so I guess the PC Engine displays a white screen with no hucard inserted?

I cleaned the contacts on all my games, and wrapped a piece of tissue around 2 old bank cards, soaked it in isopropyl alcohol and inserted it into the card slot to clean the contacts in there (it was unplugged!!).

I double checked the continuity on the ribbon cables that links the cart slot to the mainboard and that was fine.

I'm using info that was supplied to me from Saurian on here years ago, he did loads of these mods so I've no doubt the info is good. I haven't built an amplifier yet, but I guess I shouldn't need to as without it the picture would just be too dark rather than completely white!

I found this http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbturbo.htm that says you need a 100ohm resistor for scart pin 16, Saur said to use a 75ohm, I'm about to go and have another look at my soldering to check it all out and try the other resistor.

I'm currently waiting to be registered at pcenginefx.com so I can post this on there, but thought I would check on here also to see if anyone has any ideas?

I was hoping to be playing Pac Land today, and updating my website with guides on RGB modding and building a simple Amp for the PCE

ta
    Pete

Yes when you have no card in the pce & you turn it on you get a white screen, which means if your seeing that your at least getting a signal.

However i only got that when my cards were dirty & wouldnt play but you have cleaned those, maybe the slot on the console is pretty dirty & needs more cleaning?

Try inserting & removing a hucard in & out lots of times, the act of the 2 sets of contacts rubbing against each other used to fix it for me.
    Last edited by importaku; 31-08-2008, 10:30.

Comment

Cheers for the reply. I just concentrated on the contacts in the slot and cleaning them.

I've tried inserting a business card first, then the hucard ontop of that so that the business card pushes the hucard up onto the pins - that didn't work. Inserted and removed it a few times, that didn't work.

I even added a tiny bit of solder to each contact on one of the hucards (I got for free and itsmeant to be rubbish). I thought it would make a better contact or at least clean the pins in the slot but that didn't work.

Comment

I'm sorry that I can't offer anything that hasn't been suggested already. The only time I had a whte screen was due to dirty contacts on the HuCard. But you've already stated you've looked at that.

I was a bit anxious to read that you were inserting the HuCard with a business card underneath, wouldn't that be forcing the pins in the console to bend the wrong way? Making for a weaker contact. :unsure:

I really hope you get it sorted.

Comment

The business car was thick paper/thin card, after I had it all in pieces it was clear that something underneath the HuCard would push it up and put more pressure on the pins. I'd read something similar here http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...cehuportrepair

It's not looking good though Time to look for another PCE, probably have to save the pennies and buy a premodded one just to be sure it's working....

Comment

Were all the HuCards from the same source?

I could post you one of mine to try out, I know all mine are working.

Comment

6 cards from 3 different sources. So I'm hoping they would be okay, I would be extremely unlucky if they were all duffers.

Although - how are you meant to clean them. I did use an ever so slightly damp sponge to clean the white bits of the card, and a pencil rubber to clean the contacts - that should be fine shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by hellbelly View Post
                6 cards from 3 different sources. So I'm hoping they would be okay, I would be extremely unlucky if they were all duffers.

Although - how are you meant to clean them. I did use an ever so slightly damp sponge to clean the white bits of the card, and a pencil rubber to clean the contacts - that should be fine shouldn't it?
                Sounds fine to me, I always use a wet wipe on the white parts of the HuCards I acquire and on the one stubborn card I had used the same method of a pencil rubber to clean the contacts.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

I would go easy in pushing a 'cleaner' with too much width in there - easy to overdo it.

There was a topic I posted some while back with an RGB link if you need to double check the connections:

Link to solder points:

I'm in no way techie enough to make the amp so someone here did it for it - it fits inside the Scart plug. Picture without it is ok but dark with loss of detail. However. I think the amp took away a little sharpness.

EDIT - link looks the same as your - sorry about that. Good luck with it though. One thing - I never used a resistor as it made no difference and I did not get a blank screen as the guide said.
                  Last edited by Max P.; 01-09-2008, 07:09.

Comment

Hmm sounds broken you should probably chuck it and forget about any guides.. nobody on the Internet is interested in that kind of stuff anyway..

Joking

Can't think of much from what you've described.. could be a faulty IC? Will have a think and maybe come back later..

Comment

sobs, i think i've resigned to the idea of having to buy another one and probably sell this for parts

Comment

Working...
                      X