Apple speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple speculation thread

I thought a thread for speculating about new Apple machines could be good since there are always various events and rumours going on and there's an event next Tuesday (9th September).

There are rumours of a redesign of the ipod range.

What I'd like to see is an eee pc beater based on the designs shown on Engadget a few days back. I'd imagine this to be tablet format machine based on the touch/iphone, just much larger and with more memory. I think this would be really cool and ideal for quick web surfing rather than prolonged typing, although this would be easier on a 10-12" screen. Linky: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/29/a...screen-tablet/
    Last edited by NW2013; 02-09-2008, 18:26.

it will be a low-key MacBook redesign, with an aluminium casing to bring it in line with the rest of the range along with the possibility of an update to the Air.

i can't see them producing a tablet-style machine, not so soon after releasing the 3G iPhone. it may come, maybe once the MacBook has run it's course.

Comment

I ****ing hope there isn't a new iPod, I just dropped 150 notes on a 16GB touch.

Comment

D'oh, I think there might well be. I have a touch myself and think they look great, don't need an update.

Bingowings: You may be right but I'm surprised they haven't jumped on the netbook market. With their branding they'd make an absolute killing.
        Last edited by NW2013; 02-09-2008, 18:27.

Comment

Apple don't want to sell low margin systems like a netbook. That end of the market is far too price sensitive. I somehow doubt they would sell a laptop without a full size keyboard either.

Comment

Think you're right, I see Dell are launching their netbook this week (in the States), tight margins is not what Apple's about.

Originally posted by mmcg View Post
            I ****ing hope there isn't a new iPod, I just dropped 150 notes on a 16GB touch.
            A good price, was it new ? (if so where from ) would like to see a couple of buttons added to the Touch, but since none were added to the 3G iPhone can't see they will change much.
            Last edited by VR46; 02-09-2008, 19:38. Reason: grammar

Comment

I don't think it's such a crazy idea. The margin would be barely any different to the touch/iphone if they used the same innards, in fact the margin might be even better as development costs would be comparatively low.

If on the other hand you think they might not operate in a low price point market you may be right.

Comment

With my yeeeeaaaars of experience as a Mac user , my eductaed deductions have established that some sort of TV Box will be announced which will be an evolution of the Mini & Apple TV.

A sort of upgraded Mini extra media capabilities and possibly a Touch style remote in place of the remote you get at the moment. You'll be able to do everything that you can on Mini on the home computer side of things which you aren't able to do on Apple TV at the moment.

Not sure what disc formats it will read as I'm guessing that Apple will possibly want to completely avoid blu-ray if possible. Maybe it'll use something along the lines of Toshiba's new CELL based up-scalers for DVDs instead?

The Mini may just be dropped completely or they'll drop the price to position it as an entry level model now that HD TVs are becoming more popular in homes.

EDIT:
                I'd never use the multi touch tablet as it seems to give you some sort of 'crazy fool' fingers type disease that turns you into a mutant amphibian.

Last edited by JP; 02-09-2008, 20:19.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                  A good price, was it new ? (if so where from ) would like to see a couple of buttons added to the Touch, but since none were added to the 3G iPhone can't see they will change much.
                  My brother bought it used from a guy over on hotukdeals, couple marks on the back but nothing noticeable, and still got the original screen protector on. He decided to upgrade to an iPhone so I bought it off him quicksmart.

Comment

A few weeks back we had a rather large POS delivery marking with the "new Ipod range available now" writing on posters with no pictures attached, we were just told to keep it safe until its officially announced and stocks will be strong for launch which by the seams of the above posts is next week.

Comment

It's September so there will be new iPods. The 4G Nano cases have been floating around the net, so we know that it will be taller than the 3G. The Touch will get an update I reckon as it's one year old. The Classic line might see a storage bump or redesign, who knows. We will find out soon.

Oh and the Shuffle is due for an update. If they could add a small screen, it wouldn't hurt Nano sales (now that it's going big screen). Could be great.
                      Last edited by Richard.John; 03-09-2008, 00:24.

Comment

My colleague's wife is an account manager for a global logistics company which handles movement of Apple's products out of China and other places where they manufacture. About 2 weeks ago, he asked me if I thought Apple were releasing anything new soon and I said that there had been rumours of new iPods and Mac laptops in the pipeline. He smiled back and said that his wife had received a new contract from Apple for a new mystery product which was under embargo until September... All signs point to yes!

Comment

I've been holding off buying a MacBook (or Pro) to see whether they'll give them a decent overhaul. I quite like the black MacBook, so a new version would push the price of the old one down a fair bit.

I've also read rumours of a tablet affair - like a double or triple sized iTouch - but I'm unconvinced that they'd reveal that just yet.

Comment

I soo hope the new ipod touches will be out! I have been holding out from buying one for a month or so now!

Comment

Touch is probably the Apple item that interests me most, rumours seem to be ..

64gb model
                              Bluetooth compatibility
                              Slimmer/smaller design
                              Built in speaker
                              Another colour or two
                              And of course maybe cheaper prices
                              Last edited by VR46; 03-09-2008, 10:13. Reason: memory just started working

Comment

Working...
                              X