Cash in the attic...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash in the attic...

Anyone here sold anything retro and got an unexpected fortune for it? I was selling some stuff on t'eBay recently and when my girlfriend saw me taking a photo of a couple of old ZX81 tapes, she jokingly asked me how much I was expecting for them. I thought I'd be cheeky and start the bidding at 99p (usually I start tapes at a penny) and, f*ck me, I was never expecting them to sell for what they did. I picked them both up at a car boot sale in the late eighties. One stall was selling five tapes for a quid so I got two Speccy games and three ZX81 games hoping that they might work on my Speccy 48k. Needless to say they never worked and at the time I was pissed of for buying three completely useless games. Until today, that is. My only regret is that I can't find the Silversoft release of 3D Monster Maze I also had...

What about you guys? Have you got more that you ever imagined for a game or two?

Well, I recently got ?751 for a game that cost me ?14.90

Comment

Which game was that, pray tell? And did you know its worth when you paid that price?

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama View Post
        Well, I recently got ?751 for a game that cost me ?14.90
        That's a bit different though as it was always pretty likely to go for a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
          Which game was that, pray tell? And did you know its worth when you paid that price?
          Check out the "shocking ebay prices" thread - going back about six weeks.

Comment

Yep - you knew the rarity and people who wanted World Championship Soccer 2 so it was always going to end high. Thats pretty cool though - hoping you'd get a quid and ending up with a niiice amount.

I have rarely had anything end way over what I expect, but I have been bummed a few times with games ending way below their worth!

Comment

I sold a copy of Sonic Jam 6 for Mega Drive on Yahoo Auctions and got 148 pounds for it ! It only cost me a tenner !! The Japanese LOVE Chinese originals so much, especially when it's based upon Mario.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                Yep - you knew the rarity and people who wanted World Championship Soccer 2 so it was always going to end high.
                True, but it was still about 3x what I was expecting

Comment

A good few years ago i found two unreleased Amiga CD32 games at my local boot sale.
                  'Camel Racer' and 'Gangster Pursuit', both were games used on a hybrid CD32/A1200 Karaoke machine for hire. They were basically graphic versions of Arabian Derby that you just watched...

More info here:
                  http://www.kwizoke.co.uk/16.html and http://www.kwizoke.co.uk/15.html

I picked them both up for 50p and sold them to a private collector for £100
                  This then went on to get me a DS on release which i was pleased about!
                  I had no intention of keeping them as they were pretty useless and unplayable...

So if you see the ISO/Cue lying around, hopefully it still has 'ripped by Cauterize' attached to it

Also, i regret selling this find instead of keeping it for my (if i have any) future kids...

*cries*

Comment

Not an ancient one, but I sold Animal Crossing PAL on the GameCube on E-Bay and that went for £41 - great considering I only paid £8 for it originally. Couldn't believe it.

Comment

Only moment of surprise value was recently with the original MGS on PS1. Discovered that the game - which I only picked up because of a BOGOF at GS - (featuring the SH demo disc) was worth ?15. I sold that on eBay and then came across a similar-condition copy in my local indie, which I promptly bought and sold.

Spend: ?3
                      Total Sales: ?29
                      Profit: ?26!

I usually can't be bothered with profiteering, but it had to be done this time!

Comment

Lol, quality humour, "quadruple your collection with one single auction!"

There really weren't many ZX81 games were there.. I have one kicking about somewhere, maybe I should auction it.

But yeah I think the Silversoft games were quite rare, correct me if I am wrong but were they not sold only via mail order in some magazines?

Thing with eBay is it's strange. I had a piece of Spectrum software "Monitor and Disassembler" quite hard to find, had it on eBay a few months ago didn't sell for 99p, put it on the other week and it went for over a tenner..

I've had a bunch of cassettes go for ?10 or so in the past. The most I ever got for one was around ?60 for "Johnny Reb" by Lothlorien.. on most formats not a very rare game, but it was for the Sharp MZ-700! Software for machines like that are pretty much hens teeth rare.

Comment

Working...
                        X