wipeout games on ps1 ntsc versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wipeout games on ps1 ntsc versions

after getting rid of my ps1 games especially the wipeout games. i want to get them back and wonder did all the wipeout games get released on ntsc-j/u ?

i have seen wipeout and wipeout xl, which i think is wipeout 2097 over here, but did wipeout 3 and the special edition get released on ntsc ?

as i would rather have the 60hz speed ntsc version than a butchered 50hz pal copy

any recommended places that deal in retro games for my hunt for them ?

thanks

wod

wip3out was released in the US but I think Special Edition was a PAL only release.

Comment

Yep, SE was pal only.

And you'd be wrong in thinking that the pal versions were butchered. The pal versions were made first and are exactly as they should be. The ntsc versions were adjusted to match the pal versions and, whether through a conscious change or not, ntsc XL doesn't feel as good as pal 2097, though the difference is subtle.

Comment

All of them got a NTSC USA and Japan release, apart from SE.

...If you wanted an NTSC-J version, own it myself and love the boxart.

Comment

thanks for that is genki recommended as i will get that as i have think got wipeout and wipeout xl copies sorted

just fancy playing them again as i see wipeout hd is coming out soon for ps3 and wipeout fusion on ps2 was up to much

Comment

I recently played WipEout 3 SE on my laptop on emu. It supports widescreen natively anyway, it still looks gorgeous today.

Comment

You'll miss out on the licensed music in the original Wipeout if you go for the NTSC ver over the PAL one.

Comment

Originally posted by mezzanine View Post
                You'll miss out on the licensed music in the original Wipeout if you go for the NTSC ver over the PAL one.
                so i'm better off buying a pal copy of the game then as is the music much different in the ntsc versions ?

would prefer ntsc copy as the cases are much smaller and look better in my opinion

Comment

No, but if you played the UK game back in the day you'll just notice some of the music is missing. The cold storage tracks hold up okay.

Comment

arh so there isn't the underworld, orbital stuff on the ntsc version then but ive got on cd most of it anyway

Comment

You should go PAL anyway unless you only have an NTSC machine. Traditionally, we've bought NTSC games to play games as they were intended to be played... this time, it's a rare case where the PAL versions are the 'proper, as intended to be played' versions.

Comment

Yep, it's just missing three tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                          You should go PAL anyway unless you only have an NTSC machine. Traditionally, we've bought NTSC games to play games as they were intended to be played... this time, it's a rare case where the PAL versions are the 'proper, as intended to be played' versions.
                          interesting thanks for that i thought with the ntsc version that it would run at full 60hz and be better than the 50hz pal copy, so the pal copy are the ones to get as i can buy either as i have multi region machine well ps2

now to try and find mint copies as i there wont be any in game or gamestation

Comment

Well, the PAL games are full screen 50Hz, and the games were designed for that during development. They're developed in the UK after all, and WipEout was most popular in the UK at the time (hence 3SE, and possibly Fusion, never came out in the US).

Comment

Fusion did come out in the USA, as I bought a copy from a forum member on here a while back. Can't say I like the way the game progresses though... early on it's great, however as you progress through the game you start unlocking various weapons to use in future races. Great, except as soon as you unlock them the CPU ships get them in all future races too, which makes the game extremely frustrating as some of them are just downright deadly. Real shame

Comment

Working...
                              X