Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoshi's Island - the last great Nintendo 2D platformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshi's Island - the last great Nintendo 2D platformer?

After the post the other day about Yoshi's Island having borders even on the SFC I've spent the last few lunchtimes playing this again (in glorious pin-sharp CRT RGB ). Whether or not it trumps Super Mario World is just personal preference but I'd forgotten just how stunning it is, throwing in idea after idea and with a completely fresh graphical look. And it leads me to wonder if this is the last truly great Nintendo 2D platformer? I can't think of anything after it that's better.

Nah, I don't even like this game, its ok and looks nice, i dont like the yoshi mechanic and would rather play any other mario platformer. Opinion of course.

Comment

I played this through and wasn't a fan, lovely presentation (mostly) but the mix of super FX 3d and lovely 2d art doesn't fit, also some pre rendered parts. blech. Mario annoyed the hell out of me when crying, and to call it super mario world 2 was just wrong wrong wrong.

good, but overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
        and to call it super mario world 2 was just wrong wrong wrong
        Rule of thumb - never ever, ever, take any notice of anything NOA do or say. They're just a bunch of marketing suits, that's all. They're about as far away from true Nintendo as you or I.

Still, whether or not you think it's great or ****e can anyone think of a later Ninty 2D platformer that tops it?

Comment

Another for the camp of "looked great, but didn't enjoy the gameplay much" here, never grew on me at all and remember looking forward to it so so much.

Comment

Loved this game just from borrowing it from other people, even though I never owned it on the SNES. Finally picked it up when it came out on the GBA and completed it 100%. I think I might even prefer it to all the 2D platformers before it (apart from maybe Donkey Kong Country) so I certainly can't think of any that were released after it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
              Still, whether or not you think it's great or ****e can anyone think of a later Ninty 2D platformer that tops it?
              No, but I'm hardly the biggest nintendo fan nowadays, I used to love them.

Comment

Didn't like it. Lacked everything that I like about Mario games. I much prefer NSMB (later 2D platformer)

Comment

Was Kirby 3 later? Thats just too amazingly amazing the hamster and cat are sooooo cute its turns me gay inside.

Comment

Well, I loved it to and I've even occasionally said it was better than mario world, although that depends what day you catch me. The art direction is perfect from the crayon backgrounds to the chirpy music. Also it was probably the last fairly hard platformer from nintendo too. Who can forget the first time they touch fuzzy and get dizzy? Awesome game.

Comment

Better than mario world, oh my god *explodes*

nothings better than mario world! I might just play it now to spite everyone

Comment

The DS version is pretty good too.
                        I liked the SNES one better than SMW. And I'm not sorry.

Comment

Another nod to Yoshies Island from me to ! !

Who's winning now ?

Comment

Yoshi's Island is absolutely fantastic!

Number 11 in the edge bible

Comment

haha edge

Comment

Working...
                              X