Boxed snes in cash converters today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxed snes in cash converters today.

My eyes lit up when I saw a streetfighter 2 boxed snes in our local pawnies today for a tenner.

She opened the box though, and I know some snes's are prone to yellowing, but this one was piss coloured. Utterly disgusting.

I'm down to my last ?20 right now (I get paid for a job in a few days) so I wasn't for buying it. But maaan. I'd love to have taken a picture just to prove how gross it looked. People really need to wrap their junk in plastic :P

Heh. Even though it might be ugly, I can tell you that's not a bad price compared to eBay atm!

My US SNES is pretty damn near piss-yellow. Luckily it doesn't fall on the logo sticker. I'm gonna spray that b***h up good and proper. If only piss was grey

Comment

I actually was tempted, but I hate buying stuff "for ebay". Someone out there will appreciate it.

Did run into a bargain though. I sold guitar hero for the ds (bought a second copy for £12 from morrisons) for £22 trade in blockbuster. I got MGS4 for a quid extra.

Comment

I had a Street Fighter SNES boxset, and it too was unbelievably yellow, it looked like a giant piece of cheddar. I couldn't stand looking at it so I gave it to the guy who installed my Virgin media thing.

Comment

Originally posted by squishyfishy View Post
          I actually was tempted, but I hate buying stuff "for ebay". Someone out there will appreciate it.
          I didn't mean that, just that it's cheaper than some of the prices on eBay.

I had the SF2 Turbo SNES until this time last year. Was in beautiful condition. Anyone know if that particular bundle console had gold controller numbers? I seem to remember noticing them on it before I sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
            I didn't mean that, just that it's cheaper than some of the prices on eBay.

I had the SF2 Turbo SNES until this time last year. Was in beautiful condition. Anyone know if that particular bundle console had gold controller numbers? I seem to remember noticing them on it before I sold it.

I know you didn't mean that but that's all I would've bought it for hehe.

Was there other consoles that yellowed like that? (I know earlier ds lite SCREENS yellowed. Which is pretty awful).

Comment

Didn't the original GameBoys go yellow too?

Comment

It's to do with the type of plastic they used. I think at some point they changed it, but they had to use up a bunch of snes bottoms or something, so that's why you sometimes get SNESs that are yellowed only on the top or bottom

Comment

There are very little yellowing SNES consoles down here in Australia.

I myself got that massive red box set that came with All-Stars + Mario World cart. I bought that brand new a couple of years ago for I think $130 AUD or there abouts.

Comment

I want to know why they used that ****ty yellowing plastic in the first place. The light switches in my home's kitchen are the same too. They are made out of two parts of plastic with one part being the cheap ****e that goes yellow. Why oh why didn't they just use the good stuff for the whole switch?

At least Sega Saturns (the white ones) don't yellow as bad as the SFC/SNES does. They still can of course but no where near as bad.

Yakumo

Comment

Super Famicom/Nintendo - has very strange plastic. I heard that Nintendo used a new "Flame Retardant" chemical, that unfortunately... had the side-effect of making the plastic turn yellow over time.

Read this quote from NOA

Message(#6851-000101-5635\1015635) Hi!
                      Thank you for contacting us. That?s an interesting question! For the Super NES, this is a normal condition and no cause for alarm. Cleaning or handling the system will have minimal impact to change or revive the original color.
                      The Super NES, as well as our other systems, are made with a plastic containing flame-retardant chemicals to meet safety guidelines. Over time, the plastic will age and discolor both because of these chemicals as well as from the normal heat generated from the product or exposure to light. Because of the light color of the plastic of the SNES and NES, this discoloration is more easily seen than with other darker plastics such as on the N64 and the Nintendo GameCube.
                      Thanks for your email!
                      Nintendo of America Inc.
                      Casey Ludwig
                      Go here for a very comprehensive summary

Adventures in vintage computers and retrogaming. Includes articles on classic games and obsolete computers.

From reading that - it says that newer Super Nintendos don't turn yellow. It mentions that old computers - turned yellow, so... I would say that by the late 90s, the problem had been resolved.

The best bet - is to make sure you find a console that was made late 90s, early this decade.

Comment

I have a first edition UK SNES (made in Japan) and that hasn't gone yellow. I think it's best to keep the console away from heat and UV light sources (sunlight and strong fluorescent lighting), as this is what causes the reaction in the plastic.

Comment

My PC Engine core is horribly yellowed as well

Not sure on the state of my PAL boxed Action pack in the loft at the parents.
                          Hasnt seen the light of day for about 6 years so probably not that bad I hope.

I hate to think what they paid for tha boxed Street Fighter one if their selling it for £20 then I'm guessing Crime Convertors probably gave the poor seller about £5 for it...I'd have kept it myself.

Neil

Comment

I bet it's turned yellow due to the heat in the loft space. It gets very hot up there during the summer (even during the crap one just gone). Keep the box up there, but take the system out and store it somewhere cooler. Even better, hook it up permanently to the TV!

Comment

My Dreamcast was white then it went into its box for storage for a few years and came out yellow. I also have an Acorn A3010 computer thats gone yellow. And a yellow snes. Doesn't say much for the plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X