8bit/16bit Conversions with improved music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8bit/16bit Conversions with improved music

Been going through a bit of a sidplay phase and have noticed some stunning soundtracks on C64 conversions which actually improve on the arcade.

So was thinking, was other notable examples are there of this:

C64
    Ghouls n Ghosts - some of the tunes are the same but the title tune is a masterpiece
    Bionic Commando - title tune sounds like a load of milk bottles and saucepans being hit but somehow brilliant
    R-type - title music is stunning - arcade doesn't have any. Chris Hulsbeck was behind this and it's up there with Turrican 2 (Amiga) as one of the best
    Arkanoid - ditto, Martin Galway

Amiga
    Ghouls n Ghosts - Follin again. Level 1/5 music totally different to arcade but amazing.
    Last edited by jnm23; 20-09-2008, 17:36. Reason: typos

C64 again but
    --------------
    Commando - good lord, :bow hubbard :bow2
    Hyper sports - okay, so it was just the loader+opening

Comment

You are so right about C64 R-type music:

The legendary Irem game from 1987. Mainly uploaded for the amazing intro screen music that always gives me such a nostalgic feeling.

PS: For ROb Hubbard fans...

C64 orchestra (Commodore 64)Music of Rob Hubbard and Jeroen Tel performed by C64 orchestra.A co-production by Micromusic Netherlands and productiehuis Oost-N...
      Last edited by capcom_suicide; 20-09-2008, 17:25.

Comment

Do you guys know that there's a SFC / SNES C64 music compilation rom out there that features perfect reproductions of the SID Chip tunes! If you want it I can send it over to you. It features that R-Type title theme as well.

Yakumo

PS: Just remembered that there's one for Dreamcast as well but that also plays original ST and Amiga audio files.

Comment

Area-88 / Un Squadron had much better music on the SNES than the arcade, which had a really harsh shound.

Comment

I always preferred the music in the MD version of Strider to its arcade brethren.

Also, at the risk of flaming fanboys, I was none too keen on the SID R-Type soundtrack - it has to be the arcade/PCE version for me. The SID version is just a little too - how can I describe it - plinky plonky?
            Last edited by samanosuke; 20-09-2008, 18:09.

Comment

Originally posted by jnm23 View Post
              Bionic Commando - title tune sounds like a load of milk bottles and saucepans being hit but somehow brilliant
              I'll have to replay the arcade again to check but most of the music in-game are covers of the arcade tracks... but better!

(jives down to the level 4 craziness)

And yeah R-Type title music is one of those classics... worthy of a number of excellent covers on RKO.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I prefer the MD tunes on Forgotten Worlds over the arcade version. It's never really mentioned when 'great gaming soundtracks' are discussed, but that game has ace tunes, and they sound even more grandiose and doom-laden when filtered through the Megadrive's sound chip.

Comment

You'll find that pretty much and Capcom SNES conversion has better music than the arcade big brother. The CPS board had really ****ty sound IMO.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                  X