Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XBOX Emulation: How good is it? & Which emu's are the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX Emulation: How good is it? & Which emu's are the best?

Ok so ive had a bit of a change of heart on emulation and bought myself a chipped xbox 1, as i figure this is the best way to enjoy retro games on a HDTV if your not happy to keep a fat crt around just for games (which im not)
    So just how good is emulation on teh xbox? And which emu's are the best? Im looking at emulating SNES/MD/Neo Geo/PCE/NES and arcade stuffs, but would be happy to get your views on others too. Cheers,
    Dan

Emulations spot on for all the systems you mentioned, the ones I use are

Snes Zsnesxbox
    MD NeoGenesis
    Neo Geo FBAXXX
    PCE Mednafen-PCE
    NES Mednafen-Nes

Theres quite a few settings on those emu's to stop them looking like arse on an HD display as well. Theres also a Mame emulator for the arcade stuff called MAMEoX but it's based on an old build so some of the more recent things emulated in Mame won't work.

Comment

Mostly pretty good.

For cps and neogeo, kawax is meant to be slightly better than final burn, although I can't tell the difference.
      Even the N64 emu is good (not perfect). Surreal64 is a front end for 3 different emulators and it knows the preferred one for each game.

Comment

Wah! thanks for the info, sounds great! looking forwards to the 'box arriving. Would you recommend a hdd swap as it only has the standard hard drive? Or just run it off dvdr's?

Comment

I'd swap the hard disk personally, easy to do with a chipped xbox.

Comment

Does anyone have a most recent NeoGenesis, i cant set up the buttons properly in the old one i have rendering it useless?

Comment

Did you ever get that Nuby sf2 pad Baseley?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                Did you ever get that Nuby sf2 pad Baseley?

Never did in the end after hearing bad things compared to the PS2 ones. The S pad isnt too bad imo, not ideal but not a 2d game ruiner.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  For cps and neogeo, kawax is meant to be slightly better than final burn, although I can't tell the difference.
                  Woah! It's been a few years since I've heard anybody mention either of those emulators! Honestly, FBAxxx Pro wipes the floor with the pair of them.

And for controller goodness, go for one of these babies:

I went for the 6-button classic design. The guy that makes them is right helpful - I could choose the assignment of the buttons and everything! He supplied it with a PSX>Xbox adapter and I got it made with an AES cable as well. Cost a bomb to ship over to here though

Comment

What's so much better about FBAxxx? I thought it was Final Burn lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                      I'd swap the hard disk personally, easy to do with a chipped xbox.
                      I wouldn't bother personally if your xbox is always on a network, just ftp as and when. The standard 8/10gb drive is plenty for emu's, and the odd tv show.

Comment

If you have your xbox on a network, is it possible to boot games, roms, music etc from your PC HDD or whatever storage your network points too?

Comment

Several (but not all) of the emulators allow for ROMs to be read from network shares (I used to have some PlayStation ISOs on my PC for this purpose).

As for booting actual games and .XBE files, I'm pretty sure they have to be on the XBOX HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            What's so much better about FBAxxx? I thought it was Final Burn lol.
                            Speed and compatibility. Also much better GUI and more options. There are several versions of Final Burn for Xbox: Final Burn Alpha, FBAxxx and FBAxxx Pro, of which FBAxxx/Pro are regarded as the best. Final Burn Alpha is the oldest version and hasn't been updated for centuries.

Comment

Ah. Thanks. Where does KawaX 0.11 fit into that list in order of goodness?

Comment

Working...
                              X