XBOX University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX University

Glasgow based university set to study videogames thanks to Microsoft's deep pockets

The latest UK university to take a keen interest in videogaming is Glasgow's Caldeonian University, which has announced the opening of a game research centre on its campus dedicated to studying videogame design.

The centre, which has mostly been paid for out of Microsoft's coffers, will complement the university's new masters course in Game Technology, which has also just been launched. It's thought that the university will shortly announce plans to offer undergraduate courses in the field.

Microsoft has also supplied research materials relating to the Xbox to the game research centre. Publishers and platform holders getting involved in game courses at universities is not a new thing by any means; several universities across the UK are already in cahoots with games industry companies and bodies, most notably the University of Abertay in Dundee, whose videogame related courses have been supported by a variety of companies including Sony itself.

Nice!

EA are doing one too, but i forgot the URL. They have posters all over my uni.

Comment

Doesn't the University of Abertay suck donkey balls?

That's good news, but will you be able to get a job at the end of it is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by rep

several universities across the UK are already in cahoots with games industry companies and bodies, most notably the University of Abertay in Dundee, whose videogame related courses have been supported by a variety of companies including Sony itself.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but will they do GT3

..but seriously, has anyone seen what the syllabus will cover?
        And will it hold any relevance to the "real world"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
          ..but seriously, has anyone seen what the syllabus will cover?
          And will it hold any relevance to the "real world"?
          It can't be any less relevant than a normal Computer Science degree (e.g. mine, naming no names but it was one of the best universities in the country for CS, and I would hazard a guess that a rough percentage of the work I did that I have since found relevant in an actual job = 0%)

Comment

Relevance in a university degree? Doubt it
            I think that this is a good move by MS. It seems that their strategic planning (in the UK anyway) has improved. The XB live rollout seems to have been carried out well and this is a long term plan. Interesting that the evil corporate entities in the console market are the ones providing grassroots support. Admittedly this does allow them to keep it on their terms.
            The thing with this support is that most universities are unwilling to move forward particularly quickly and I am sure gaming is considered quite lowly in University circles.
            An XBesque Yaroze would be nice.

PS I'm sure University of Abertay does "suck donkey balls" but we cannot all be such genii as yourself.

Comment

Working...
            X