X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Speed Racing - Dreamcast

Format: Dreamcast

Year: 1999

I remember that this game didn't receive a very positive reception back in 99 - so... I didn't bother with it. ... I should have given it a chance, seeing I had just bought a Dreamcast and love racing games, but... I must have had other things on my mind at the time.

Anyway, I recently got my hands on a copy, and was surprised to discover how good it is.

First off, the visuals are very effective - with a vibrant, sharp, colourful game world. It looks very much like a Sega Arcade game( think Virtua Racing ) ... It's refreshing to play a game that isn't trying to look like grim reality.

It plays well, too. The controls are smooth and easy - and it's fun. Yes... there are gripes: hitting other cars results in just a strange shunt, and going on to grass slows you down too much.

One last thing that I must mention is the music: it's very upbeat and infectious(the sort of music all good arcade games should have)

Overall, the game has a lot of content to enjoy, and it's well worth playing. 8/10

Anyone else a fan, or not?
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-10-2008, 20:50.

did you get a PAL or NTSC version? Looks cool Never played it, but love racing games.

Comment

This game was never released over here AFAIK.
      I used to have the Japanese version. In the US it's released as "Flag to Flag CART Racing", it is the American equivalent of the F1 and F3 racing.
      Fond memories...gonna boot it up again now to look how it's aged. Quite nervous controls IIRC

Comment

Wow, thinking back, I remember reading some previews back in the day - completely forgot about it! So is this worth picking up for someone who loved Sega racers?

Comment

It's not made by SEGA, but by ZOOM .

I remember getting this on import when the likes of Blue Stinger, HOTD II, Marvel Vs Capcom were all coming out at the same time (Happy Days) I was quite impressed it was smooth as fast as hell and I liked the little touches like the dirt on the screen ect, play's quite well with the wheel too . Does get a bit boring though given the choice of sport (poor man's F1) .

I would only get it , if you see it going dirty cheap , it is fun though

Comment

I remember playing Flag to Flag somewhere. It took a while to get used to the controls which weren't very good (sorry I can't describe that better - it's been a while), but once you worked around them it was quite fun.

Comment

I never really though much of this game to be honest. Like all American motor sports the tracks are dull beyond belief. The controls were also a bit iffy from what I remember.

I'd buy Video System's Formula One for Dreamcast II. Now that is a good F1 game even if it does have a bit of frame drop at very busy times. Loads to do and customise in that game plus official licensed drivers that you'll know rather than the names in Super Speed Racing.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                I'd buy Video System's Formula One for Dreamcast II. Now that is a good F1 game even if it does have a bit of frame drop at very busy times. Loads to do and customise in that game plus official licensed drivers that you'll know rather than the names in Super Speed Racing.

Yakumo
                Yakumo, do you mean F1 World Grand Prix 2 (not sure what is was called outside the UK): http://www.amazon.co.uk/F1-World-Gra...3306099&sr=1-1

Seem to remember that was fairly decent for an F1 game, although I haven't played it for some time. Might give it a spin this evening

Comment

I have it! Might also give that a spin this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinebi View Post
                    Quite nervous controls IIRC
                    The control is quite twitchy - and far from great, but... in a strange way, it feels nice.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    It's not made by SEGA, but by ZOOM .

I remember getting this on import when the likes of Blue Stinger, HOTD II, Marvel Vs Capcom were all coming out at the same time (Happy Days) I was quite impressed it was smooth as fast as hell and I liked the little touches like the dirt on the screen ect, play's quite well with the wheel too . Does get a bit boring though given the choice of sport (poor man's F1) .

I would only get it , if you see it going dirty cheap , it is fun though
                    Yeah.. it's not made by Sega, that's why I said "It looks like a Sega Arcade game" ... though Sega published it.

The visuals are very nice; my brother commented on how good it looks, and he's very hard to please. It does have a nice colourful arcade look.

I wouldn't say it's boring. It has around 20 tracks - and a good mixture of types.

It's worth getting for any price. Luckily... it's cheap.

I never really though much of this game to be honest. Like all American motor sports the tracks are dull beyond belief. The controls were also a bit iffy from what I remember.

Yakumo
                    I thought you'd like it, Yakumo. It still looks nice - and isn't some dull western simulation

I was playing Video System's game as well - and it looks poorer imo. Super Speed Racing looks sharper and the framerate feels better.

Originally posted by sonic_shuffle View Post
                    did you get a PAL or NTSC version? Looks cool Never played it, but love racing games.
                    I have the Japanese version. I looked - and it doesn't look like a Pal version exists. The American version is called CART Flag to Flag.

Anyway, it's not a game without issues, but.. I think a lot of racing fans will be surprised at how much they enjoy it.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-10-2008, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by BearBoy View Post
                      Yakumo, do you mean F1 World Grand Prix 2 (not sure what is was called outside the UK): http://www.amazon.co.uk/F1-World-Gra...3306099&sr=1-1

Seem to remember that was fairly decent for an F1 game, although I haven't played it for some time. Might give it a spin this evening
                      yep, that's the one. I really did enjoy that more. I'm not a fan of Formula style racing games anyway to be honest but I did find this quite packed. Maybe it's just me but I'd rank this as the best Formula style game on the DC.

Yakumo

Comment

yep, that's the one. I really did enjoy that more. I'm not a fan of Formula style racing games anyway to be honest but I did find this quite packed. Maybe it's just me but I'd rank this as the best Formula style game on the DC.

Yakumo
                        F1 World Grand Prix 2 is a simulation. I was playing it the other day - and it's pretty good, but... as a fan of Virtua Racing, I much prefer Super Speed Racing, because it looks like an arcade game - and feels like one.

The music suits the arcade atmosphere, too. I would think most Sega fans would be up for some arcade style racing. Everyone should give Super Speed a try; it really is a nice game.

Comment

maybe I should dig it out again and take it for a spin? Maybe this weekend I'll find time

Yakumo

Comment

I thought bar the graphics F1 World GP II was pretty dire, much like any console F1 game to be honest (bar F1 BTL, and the ok EA title) It is still a shame that no console every got a F1 racer from Geoff only he can do justice to the sport

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              I thought bar the graphics F1 World GP II was pretty dire, much like any console F1 game to be honest (bar F1 BTL, and the ok EA title) It is still a shame that no console every got a F1 racer from Geoff only he can do justice to the sport
                              I'm not an F1 fan at all - so I never bother with the games; which always seem boring to me.

Virtua Racing took the whole F1 concept - to a level that made it fun to play. The arcade handling and gameplay - plus the bright colourful visuals, made F1 style racing appealing to me.

I wish there was a market for VirtuaRacing2; or whatever it would be called.

I just don't think the mainstream - or magazines, would accept an F1 style game, that isn't a simulation( with all the dullness of real life)

Mainstream gamers and journalists - just don't like the arcade fantastical style anymore. It's really depressing.

Super Speed Racing isn't close to being as good as Virtua Racing( it lacks colour, and polish ) It is pretty good though - and worth playing.

I was playing Le Mans 24hr on my Dreamcast yesterday - and that is up there with FerrariF355, as a graphical marvel. It's feels great to play, too.

maybe I should dig it out again and take it for a spin? Maybe this weekend I'll find time

Yakumo
                              The game has around 20tracks. Some look better than others. There's one that is city based - which looks the best. It's not graphically brilliant - but the overall effect and feel of the game is pretty satisfying.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-10-2008, 08:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X