Humax HD Freesat PVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humax HD Freesat PVR

Looks like this is out soon. It'll be ?299 though.... eeep.

320GB HDD
    HDMI slot for transmission of amazing high definition pictures and surround sound audio to an HD-ready TV
    Low power consumption less than 1watt in standby and an automatic standby function triggered by inactivity
    Parental controls access codes prevent children watching inappropriate content
    Audio description services for the blind or visually impaired and one-touch subtitles
    Two scart sockets for connecting other equipment such as a DVD recorder
    Dolby digital audio output
    Connecting leads and controls including HDMI cable, scart cable, and remote control
    Twin receiver

It all sounds pretty nice but after getting used to a Topfield PVR I don't think I could go back to Humax. I will wait for the inevitable Toppy HD, using MyStuff with a Toppy is a unbeatable user experience, user generated software FTW!

Comment

Not come across that. Any more info dude?

Comment

Best place for info is here: http://www.toppy.org.uk

I have owned two Humax's in my time. The 8000t and later the 9200t which added in the dual tuner. They were both great machines but limiting it what you could do with them.

Now I have the Topfield TF5800. It offers me a much better experience as recordings can be files in folders like Windows, text searches can be made to record against the EPG like Sky+ series link. Everything can be changed practically with the user created TAPS.

The newest model is the TF5810 which supports HDMI, but it won't do the HD channels however. If you are in the market I would recommend picking one of these up over the Humax personally.

Comment

yeah another vote for the topfield here. had the TF5800 for a couple of years now and its a fantastic machine. I have it setup so I can FTP to it from my pc, which comes in handy and the user created software really makes a big difference.

Comment

Sounds great. I'll have to wait till they bring out a freesat HD version though.

Comment

how exactly does it detect inactivity?

Comment

Got one of these bad boys this week and well impressed with it.

Firstly after being used to Virgin Media TV (never again), navigating through the menus seems well quick. There's absolutely no delay at all.

The record functions don't really compare any different to Sky Plus, but for subscription free TV recording you can't go wrong. Simply navigate through the TV guide and press record for the program you want to record. Again like Sky Plus you can pause and rewind live TV.

Picture wise it's a massive improvement compared to the Grundig Freesat HD box. BBC HD looks amazing on it. On par with the latest Blu-Ray releases. I think it has the edge over SKY HD. The picture on SD channels look good too, again better than the Grundig Freesat HD box. Recordings look as good as the live broadcast, no pixilation.

Easy to set up. The house I've just moved into had a dish already up and it was set pointing to Astra 2 (the reception Sky and Freesat runs off of). So I just put a quad LNB onto the dish and ran two feeds from it (like Sky Plus you need one feed for the veiwing and one feed for the recording)

My only concern is when you preset to record ITV HD. As to access ITV HD you have to press the red button when the HD content is available, and if I'm away from my box I can't do that.

Freesat just need to get their arse in gear and get us some more channels now.

Comment

Oooh that looks interesting.

Do you mind me asking how much & where from??

Also does it do component out??

I'd like HD but unfortunately SKY only do HDMi boxes now & my TV can only accept Component for High Def

Thanks

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    Oooh that looks interesting.

Do you mind me asking how much & where from??

Also does it do component out??

I'd like HD but unfortunately SKY only do HDMi boxes now & my TV can only accept Component for High Def

Thanks

Neil
                    HDMi only I'm afraid. I got it from here http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/HUMAX_FO...ORDER_1061.php
                    Last edited by MarioMark; 19-06-2009, 14:40. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                    X