PC Joypad for Retro Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Joypad for Retro Gaming

I'm desperately trying to find a good PC USB Joypad - for my retro gaming.

I came across Ebay sellers - selling these Saturn style pads.

EBAY SATURN PAD

Are these any good - and like the real thing, or rubbish?

Any suggestions appreciated. I need a good simple pad - that has a very good d-pad for playing Street Fighter, platformers, shooters etc...

Help me!

Those pads are great and worth buying, very much like the real thing. I recall reading something about new old stock on a beat em up or shmups forum somewhere, possibly to do with NCSX attempting to stock them. I was skeptical but the build quality is perfect and those brand new Mega Drives turned up in Thailand last year so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the pads may be real.

Friends of mine have bought them from eBay in anticipation of SFIV on PS3. Going to a Saturn from a 360 pad for Cave Story and emulators was a revelation.

Comment

I have one of them (if it's the official Sega one) in grey. Came in a proper Sega box, I originally bought mine from Play Asia about 5-6 yrs ago...

Identical to the Saturn pads in build quality, expect with a USB plug on it. I use it on my MacBook Pro and Asus EEE for gaming.

I'm a big Megadrive slut, so it's perfect for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wackbmx View Post
        I have adapters - and find that they have issues. It may just be me - but when I use mame, I sometimes get issues with it messing up my joypad settings.

Basically, I find that USB pads work perfectly.

Comment

I know at least 3 people with those Saturn pads (I have one at home myself but not tried it cause I'm at uni), so they sound like a safe bet. Apparently they're just generic HID devices too, so not only do they work without drivers, but they also work on PS3.

Comment

I've got two of those eBay Saturn pads. They are identical to my official Saturn pads (even down to the plastics used, and the rough feel of the dpad) although the L/R triggers are more solid and clicky.

Initially I was worried but after a few posts on forums stating they were as good as the real thing I took the plunge and am very glad I did.

Nice to see they're not selling for ridiculous prices anymore. I got my pair for £20 altogether.

I probably shouldn't have to mention this but these are all wrong:

Compatible with SEGA system
            Digital and Analog
            Slow Motion Function
            Finally, a PS3 controller with Rumble (although it does work with PS3)

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
              I've got two of those eBay Saturn pads. They are identical to my official Saturn pads (even down to the plastics used, and the rough feel of the dpad) although the L/R triggers are more solid and clicky.

Initially I was worried but after a few posts on forums stating they were as good as the real thing I took the plunge and am very glad I did.

Nice to see they're not selling for ridiculous prices anymore. I got my pair for ?20 altogether.

Digital and Analog
              Slow Motion Function

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll buy a couple of them.

Comment

I either use my PS3 controller via USB cable or Wii classic controller via bluetooth. Both work great really.

Comment

Nice to see they're not selling for ridiculous prices anymore. I got my pair for ?20 altogether.

Digital and Analog
                  Slow Motion Function

Are these what you use in 2DF then?

Comment

BTW are these pads genuine sega ones?

This auction ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting ) suggests that they are made by an "SLS" ? Note the packaging..

Comment

Originally posted by kyo_244 View Post

This auction ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting ) suggests that they are made by an "SLS" ? Note the packaging..
                      That's the same packaging as the ones PlayAsia used to sell.

Never bettered as a pad for 2D games, apart from the button layout probs for playing emulated SNES games.

Comment

Originally posted by kyo_244 View Post

I bought mine from the same seller a few months back. SLS are Sega Logistic Service. I'm pretty sure these are legit pads, I remember reading somewhere that Sega had confirmed this as well.
                        Last edited by Phar; 05-11-2008, 19:09.

Comment

Yeah I heard similar reports, we're all pretty sure they're genuine. The box printing looks good, too. I was a bit worried when I tried visiting the url on the box when I first received them and it didn't work. Maybe it does now, though.

Seriously, get them, you'll be glad you did!

Comment

Yeah I heard similar reports, we're all pretty sure they're genuine. The box printing looks good, too. I was a bit worried when I tried visiting the url on the box when I first received them and it didn't work. Maybe it does now, though.

Seriously, get them, you'll be glad you did!
                            Yeah I remember seeing pictures of the boards inside and they look pretty much the same as the ones that are genuine. I think these may be revisions of the originals as the serials printed on the pads were something like ISS-5001-01 and the original batch from Playasia etc were ISS-5001. Overall it seems like a lot of effort to go to if they were knockoffs really.

The main site works http://www.sls-net.com just not the http://www.sls-net.com/crm/ one on the box, probably because the pads are discontinued.
                            Last edited by Phar; 05-11-2008, 19:38.

Comment

Working...
                            X