Mega Drive by Samsung ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mega Drive by Samsung ?

With the Mega Drive having it's 20th anniversary a week ago I thought it would be very cool to get this.

Known as the Super Aladdin Boy in Korea (as far as I remember), the Mega Drive was branded and Sold as a Samsung produced item due to the law that was present back then in Korea that stopped Japanese companies selling their goods within Korea. Samsung also produced their own version of the Master System and Saturn as well. Of course in cheap ass style, the Samsung made Saturn had no reset switch even though the button was present. It also has a few other cheap design falls.

Back on to the Mega Drive, Not only did Samsung deal with the hardware but also the software. In the below picture you can see Korean versions of Fatal Fury, Rolling Thunder 2 (Needs a new label), Sonic 1 and Sonic 3.

I'll be posting more and better images on my site in a week or so. Please keep an eye open for them as well as the Japanese version of the 32X.

Yakumo

What's with the characters under the "16 BIT" lettering?

Also, did JPN machines have a cartridge lock ala the SNES, to stop cartridges being removed while the console was on?

Comment

The text is Korean and says Super Aladdin Boy. As fir the cartridge lock, yep, Japanese Mega Drives had that.

Yakumo

Comment

That's pretty tasty Mark! Now just bag yourself a Samsung Saturn
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          Samsung also produced their own version of the Master System and Saturn as well. Of course in cheap ass style, the Samsung made Saturn had no reset switch even though the button was present. It also has a few other cheap design falls.
          Yakumo
          One of the funniest things for me in regards to that law was when Samsung released the Saturn and left all European languages on the bios options, but went to the effort of removing the Japanese one, they didn't even bother to swap it for Korean, they just left a blank space. At times Japan and Korea really do seem to despise each other, although I suppose they do have a long history.

Comment

Korean text looks like it came off a UFO or something. I like their version of the NES too

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
              One of the funniest things for me in regards to that law was when Samsung released the Saturn and left all European languages on the bios options, but went to the effort of removing the Japanese one, they didn't even bother to swap it for Korean, they just left a blank space. At times Japan and Korea really do seem to despise each other, although I suppose they do have a long history.
              Koreans are arse holes in many respects though (NOT ALL KOREANS) and I'm not just saying that because I live in Japan. I've been to Korea a few times and I still can't get over the way they have no comprehension of how to wait in line or how to drive without constantly beeping the horn or even how to be polite in general.

Yakumo

Comment

that's the by-product of speeding up of condensing what other countries took half centuries of development in a couple decades...
                -__-;
                Many unimportant things(?) ignored along the way - like human rights, common manners, civil obedience, abiding by law, and etc.

Comment

I do know many cool Korean people, well I say many but I mean 4. However, when I went to Korea I couldn't believe how rude people were. I remember asking one guy where the Japanese Embassy was in English (I had to go there for a Visa stamp). He had no idea what I said which was fair enough. So I asked if he understood Japanese (I speak no Korean) to which he said yes. I then repeated my question only for him to grab me by the collar and drag me a few meters. I was about to smack the guy in the face when he pointed to where the Embassy was. I couldn't believe that was his idea of showing the way to someone.

yakumo

Comment

Ha Ha!

Comment

I keep meaning to pick one of those up, I much prefer them to the model 2's, and i would kill for a boxed one .

At the moment i have a Korean model 2, 3 official 3 button pads, an unofficial 6 button pad and 6 Korean MD games, 1 of which is in a Japanese case:

Comment

Working...
                      X