The Operative: No One Lives Forever PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Operative: No One Lives Forever PS2

I think this qualifies as retro - anyway just finished it and all I can say is never has a FPS(tealth) left me with such mixed feelings.

The main problem I had with it is inconsistency. It seemed to me that the AI and the shooting physics seemed to be tweaked not just from level to level but within levels too just to make them work as the designers wanted. The result: often try and die gameplay. Once you learn the level you can usually run through it unscathed in less than a couple of minutes but getting to that stage will have cost you 5+ attempts.

They mixed up stealth (of a difficulty and quality comparable to the much later Splinter Cell), pure exploration of the sometimes exceptionally well designed levels, puzzle tasks, special shooting tasks and more basic run and gun stuff.

Unfortunately whilst they're busy giving you all this variety it's often at the expense of consistency or logic. They even try to provide alternative routes or choices of approach at some points but then are just as likely to make any effort you've put into finding them totally redundant. Those disappointments stack up as the game progresses.

At it's best, and it is more hit than miss, it is up there with Deus Ex whose engine they share. But that game is far superior overall because it is consistent, mostly logical and provides several genuine alternative options at almost every stage.

TO: NOLF is undoubtedly a well above average FPS(tealth) game which deserves to be remembered but I think it's not surprising that the sequel never made it to console and with it the series died.
    Last edited by fallenangle; 16-11-2008, 18:58.

FYI, the game was VERY badly ported to the PS2 - if you ever get the opportunity to experience the first 2 games (and perhaps even the expansion pack like 3rd game) then you'd probably appreciate them alot more.

I personally loved them, and they nailed the austin-powers like atmosphere perfectly.

Comment

I know some of the options were removed in the PS2 version like pre-mission weapon selection. That would have made a difference to the way some levels played. But the PS2 version had some extra prequel levels, mostly rather feeble but the last was actually rather good one.

Apart from a few glitches the general technical failings for the PS2 version were not unexpected for me as Deus Ex suffered the same problems. Unpleasant slow down when more than two enemies started firing automatic weapons and some collision detection issues but that was about it.

I'd be surprised if the core game was that much different. The guide I read afterwards to try to find the answer to some of the questions I had was for PC and didn't seem much different.

Comment

I've only played the PS2 version (not much of a PC gamer TBH) and from what i remember it was glitchy as hell. When i first switched it on i found it quite enjoyable, but after a few hours i ended up just switching it off. If i remember correctly (it was a while ago) it was a level which involved parachuting that made me lose my rag with it, kept slowing down just as i was firing.

Give me Timesplitters any day of the week .

Comment

Like Daragon I loved NOLF and the sequel, but you really need to play the PC versions to enjoy them. The PS2 version of the original is awful.

Spot on with the Austin Powers reference. Especially the space station level. Plus you have got gun toting mime artists, a chase sequence on a tricycle and the hurricane in a trailer park which at the time looked amazing.

Great games as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

NOLF is a pretty good FPS series from Monolith. The woman and the atmosphere were really cool. I remember getting this game as a pack in with my Radeon 9700 Pro.

But as being said by others, only play it on PC. The Ps2 version is horrible.

Comment

Working...
            X