Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast 10 Years

On November 27.

I think I'm going to give Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge, Jet Set Radio, Le Mans 24 Hours, Rez, Samba De Amigo, Cosmic Smash and Under Defeat a spin this weekend and celebrate the best machine SEGA ever did.

The Dreamcast was and is a special console. When i first saw the likes of VF3 and Sonic Adventure ruuning on the Dreamcast for the first time I was like, "wowzers"! And from 1999 until 2000 top qaulity games were coming out all the time - it was like gaming heaven. When the Dreammcast died it was like gaming hell for a time.

Whether it's the best ever machine from SEGA is debatable. I used to think that the Dreamcast was SEGA's best console. But after seeing the machines best games, for want of a better word, whored out onto other consoles (Samba Di Amigo on the wii being the latest) I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Kongster; 25-11-2008, 13:40.

Comment

Let's go make some CRAZY money!

yeah, I'll be playing a bit to celebrate 10 years of the DC. I really enjoyed the DC.

Comment

Happy Birthday Dreamcast. You should have lived longer but it wasn't to be. It may have not have been Sega's best console ever (that's the Saturn) but it sure as hell brought gaming to a new level. No other console game has taken as much of my personal time as Phantasy Star Online & Ver.2.

Dreamcast, the innovator in many ways only to be ruined by idiots in power and money bags competitors.

Yakumo

Comment

Agreed - the Saturn was Sega's best ever console but the DC was probably the biggest wasted opportunity (some triple A titles but it could have achieved so much more) and IMHO absolutely the very first console to truly do arcade perfect.

Time sure does fly, the DC was also the first and only console I bought in Pal version and on UK launch day too. Now happily have one of the early 'water cooled' (sort of ) orange box Japan models.

Comment

Loved my Dreamcast, so many great memories playing it.

Playing Phantasy Star Online over a 56k modem and it was pure gaming bliss, how SEGA pulled that off i dont know.

Cant believe its been 10 years though, wheres the time gone

Comment

10 YEARS?

But... but... the Dreamcast is a new, or at least new-ish platform. Isn't it?

To me it feels like it barely just came out. I must be getting old.

Comment

10 years? Oh ****!

My favourite console of all time. What a shame that Phantasy Star Online is just a memory for the most part now.

Comment

Originally posted by elektronhjarnan View Post
                  Tell me about it. Ten years eh? Where the f**k does the time go! I can still remember playing the demo pod in WH Smith's
                  It was way ahead of its time when it came to online features, and the VMU interaction was a nice touch. It's a shame we ended up with the PS2 and its greeny screeny DVD playback, oversized clunky design, and third-party drivel. I kind of think Sega would've done it better given the chance.

Comment

I played Blue Stinger so much - still love it

and Yakumo lets not use the past tense when its birthday is due

A game has just been released and the mighty Dux is just around the corner

Comment

10 YEARS?

I thought it was nine years from memory (my friend got one for Christmas in '99), but I double checked and indeed the DC was released in Japan ten years ago. Have to go and have a read through some of my old Edges from the period.

Comment

Love goin back to read old magazines. Did the DC feature in "Arcade" much? Should be about that time right? Just got Silent Scope for the DC yesterday, think i'll give it a blast later.

Comment

10 YEARS?

You said it all there!

10 years!? mental! The graphics still hold out well now!

Comment

Indeed. Soul Calibur, in particular, looks stunning through VGA.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                              Love goin back to read old magazines. Did the DC feature in "Arcade" much?
                              Fairly sure it did, but not to a great extent, as the magazine closed before the DC was launched over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X