Games That Use An Internal Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games That Use An Internal Clock

As is mandatory this time of year I'm about to break out the old Saturn and play me some Christmas NiGHTS, which got me to thinking, what other games make great use of a systems internal clock, doesn't really matter what system or how old. Discuss.

Pokemon Gold and Silver were fantastic with it, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl use a clock too, but I haven't played them enough to comment on them. I always loved the idea of internal clocks for some reason. Obvious one would be Animal Crossing of course, which is probably the best use of time in a game ever.
    Last edited by noobish hat; 30-11-2008, 20:33.

Comment

Well, here's one that many people wouldn't have guessed. Dreamcast Marvel VS Capcom 2 has a big clock on one of the stages that tells the real time. In fact weren't the Saturn and the Dreamcast the 1st two systems to use an internal clock? Nice, yet another first for Sega

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        Pokemon Gold and Silver were fantastic with it, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl use an clock too, but I haven't played them enough to comment on them. I always loved the idea of internal clocks for some reason. Obvious one would be Animal Crossing of course, which is probably the best use of time in a game ever.
        Yeah pokemon made great use of the clock, loved the way only some could be caught at certain times of day. Animal Crossing made good use of it as well, any game that pisses you off because you forgot to play it the day the market came to town and now you have to wait another week is genius in my book.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        Well, here's one that many people wouldn't have guessed. Dreamcast Marvel VS Capcom 2 has a big clock on one of the stages that tells the real time. In fact weren't the Saturn and the Dreamcast the 1st two systems to use an internal clock? Nice, yet another first for Sega

Yakumo
        Is that the clock tower stage? does that one change to snow as well near Christmas, I'm sure it does although my minds a little bit hazy on that one. But yes most of the good ones I can remember were on Sega systems, Original NiGHTS with the flower bed clock and Nuclear Winter when you set your clock to a certain date. Sega Touring Car has a Christmas themed track as well iirc.

Comment

Phantasy Star online had changes to the lobby on certain days as I recall, a giant heart on valentines day or some ****. Completely superficial though.

Comment

Phantasy Star online had changes to the lobby on certain days as I recall, a giant heart on valentines day or some ****. Completely superficial though.
            Yeah, Christmas Tree and an Easter Egg along with different tunes playing, I love stuff like this, I just wish more games would make use of it.

Comment

Might be a bit of an obvious one, but Animal Crossing did! There were a few easter eggs in Shenmue, too.

Comment

If you played Little Computer People on the C64 on Christmas day, your little computer person would play christmas tunes on his piano and record player.

Comment

Sega Touring Cars on the Saturn used an internal clock thing, as there was a Sega Challenge thing, 3 dates, cant remember them of the top of my head, there was Aprils Fools for one, were you had to race round the track the wrong way to the rest of the pack and set a fast time. Another date had you knocking over red and yellow codes, red cone was worth a second, yellows 5 seconds, you had to set another fastest lap as such. There was another date, cause it was a 3 pronged thing, but I cant remember what you did during it.

Of course M-SR on the Dreamcast used the internal clock and thus world clock incredibly well too, with certain events only open at certain times of day. Great fun, though I as I played in the evening, it was always Tokyo at night and San Francisco in the morning.

EDIT: Maybe the third was that Christmas day race then, and the cones challenge might of been Valentines day, but I cant remember.
                  Last edited by Holio; 30-11-2008, 20:05.

Comment

Oh yeah, what about rogue leader on gamecube, if you played some levels at night it would be night in the game. Nice touches.

Comment

Metal gear solid 3 - your food would rot, and the end would die of old age if left long enough, you'd 'rest' and get your health back too

Comment

seaman?

Comment

I remember when I first played Pokémon Silver and the clock (and day of the week) was the best feature ever.

Comment

Pokemon Gold and Silver were fantastic with it, and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl use a clock too, but I haven't played them enough to comment on them. I always loved the idea of internal clocks for some reason. Obvious one would be Animal Crossing of course, which is probably the best use of time in a game ever.
                            might not have been a big thing but this added so much to the game for me. silver and gold are by far the best pokemon games in my opinion, i just loved the idea of going out at night to catch an owl pokemon! sure you can do it in diamond and pearl too but it doesnt quite have the same charm.

Oh yeah, what about rogue leader on gamecube, if you played some levels at night it would be night in the game. Nice touches.
                            didnt know that, ill have to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                              Is that the clock tower stage? does that one change to snow as well near Christmas, .
                              Yep, that's the one. Steep Slope Sliders also uses the internal clock for night, evening, early morning or day time looks to the courses.

Yakumo

Comment

Working...
                              X