Retro Gamer #58 - The Christmas Issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gamer #58 - The Christmas Issue!

Shining Force, SWIV, Atari ST, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Bounder, Atari ST...

Discuss!

Bah. I still havn't had mine delivered yet. Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home.

Nice cover though. I like it when an effort is made for the festive period

Comment

Well I got it yesterday and it seems like a great issue.

The cover is really nice. Looks even better in 'real life' than it does on here. Nice 'twilight zone' feature, and 12 games of christmas. Even a two page spread on turles in time

As usual, it's the magazine highlight of the month for me, and I apprecaite the nice festive touches to the mag.

Comment

You mentioned Atari ST twice

Comment

And you know why!

Comment

Atari ST lol.

Comment

Can't say I'm overly excited about the contents in this issue..

I think the mag is in need of a makeover, both regarding the content and the layout, it's had the same look for 3 years now. Actually I preferred te layout in the old Retro Gamer. Content wise I'd like some more articles about obscure stuff, weird hardware, in depth articles. The "new" RG has been going downhill since John Szczepaniak left. (runs and hides)

Comment

Originally posted by Nazca View Post
                The "new" RG has been going downhill since John Szczepaniak left. (runs and hides)
                Hardly, you probably just like the same amazingly obscure stuff that he likes. RG is always about personal preference, with people rating the issue based on what they used to be interested in (or still are). One day I'll hear things like RG is not very good this month as the editorial is shockingly poor, but it always comes down to It was great/poor this month because it covers stuff I love/hate.

You're right though the mag is in dire need of a remake (were working on it right now). And Szczepaniak? Well providing all goes well you'll hopefully seem a return some time next year...

Oh and I say you're the real JS as you're the only person I've seen to ever spell his name right

Comment

Hey, some of us like amazingly obscure stuff. Those articles Shep (as he shall now be known!) did on Assemblergames and the high-tier collecting world were some of the most interesting articles I've ever read about videogames.

Comment

Could someone print a few more details on this issue, please? Someone (I can't remember who, sorry,) used to print up all the info in threads here in Retro Gaming and it was most appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by Nazca View Post
                      Actually I preferred the layout in the old Retro Gamer.
                      I think you might be in the minority there, chum.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                        Oh and I say you're the real JS as you're the only person I've seen to ever spell his name right
                        Googled him

Comment

I'd like to see articles like those that were in The Gamer's Quarter. They had some very interesting and enjoyable stuff, by talented writers.

To sum it up; more depth, less pixelated screenshots.

Comment

Hey if we made four issues a year we could do ridiculously in-depth articles as well. On the other hand no one would probably commit to the magazine as you'd need to make it at least 10 pounds as it would have to a massive mag to justify those lengthy gaps...

Sorry mate, your heart is in the right place but you don't seem to understand the full ramifications behind making a monthly magazine like Retro Gamer. If you do have the secret then let me know as I'd love to hear it

Comment

Having read quite a lot of issues of GQ I'd agree there have been some great, in-depth pieces but I also think many of lengthier pieces are over-padded, rather fan-essay in nature and in need of serious editing. RG does well to keep things concise, factual and entertaining to read, and also tries to integrate as much developer input as possible, an area in which GQ is noticeably lacking. Personally I don't really think there's much comparison between the two. And for the record, I actually enjoy both magazines.
                              Last edited by MikeB; 03-12-2008, 22:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X