Game Gear troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Gear troubles

My game gear seems a bit hit and miss with some of the games it's wanting to play.

I've cleaned some of the problem carts, but there still not all working fully. FoR some games I'm finding that I need to lift the game out of the slot and tilt it slightly. As one of these games is Shining Force Gaiden it concerns me due to the battery backup. As it's taking two or three attempts to get the games to run.

Ninja Gaiden on the other hand I have only managed to get the game to work once and I'm wondering if the cart may now be dead.

I'm wondering if it's the internal connector but there proving a pain to clean. Sonic runs fine every time pushed all the way in, the same can't be said for some of the other games.

Any advice would be welcome.

It's probably the internal connector's gone a bit flat. I think it relies on a bit of springiness to make contact with the edge connector on the carts. You could try dismantling the unit and pull up each contact with a small pin (or precision screwdriver) to restore it to its former glory.
    Also be careful if operating the Game Gear with the cover removed as the backlight generates a high voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgamingfart View Post
      It's probably the internal connector's gone a bit flat. I think it relies on a bit of springiness to make contact with the edge connector on the carts. You could try dismantling the unit and pull up each contact with a small pin (or precision screwdriver) to restore it to its former glory.
      Also be careful if operating the Game Gear with the cover removed as the backlight generates a high voltage.
      Cheers for that the connectors do look a bit flat, only problem is I don't have all the screw drivers needed to unscrew it.

Comment

Oh yeah I think there's one 4.5mm 'Gamebit' type security screw, the same type that you find on Nintendo consoles (SNES/ N64 etc). You might be able to twist it carefully with pliers, or make your own screwdriver for the task.

Comment

Working...
        X