Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a display cabinet for games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a display cabinet for games?

If so, how many people have actually looked at it, and what were their reactions?

I've sometimes wondered why I bother collecting. Sure, there's a certain amount of pleasure in the ownership, but it would be nice if people came and appreciated the fruits of all those hours in game shops an on the internets. As it is, only a few people have peered into the games room, and they tend to recoil in horror, rather than saying "Wow, you don't often see and Oven de Cookie".

Have you actually displayed your display cabinet to anyone?

Not me Tarquel.

99% of vistors to my house either don't like games, cannot read Japanese or don't like games and cannot read Japanese and so wonder why the hell I have games that are not even from the UK.

Besides they're my games, to play. I'm not a museum/shop and I don't want them on display purely for people to look at. They're kept in a shelving unit as it's functional for the design of their boxes, no other reason. I've always found it rather laughable when people have display cabinets for games myself.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

So do you not have any "collectables" as such then?

Comment

I did once buy a display cabinet for all my games and that was the sole reason I sold my collection. It looked more like a bloody shop window than a body of games.

Now I've got one 1m long shelf for the games I play and two large shoe box sized, clear plastic boxes for my retro stuff.

Although some display collection cases looked nice on here, in reality they will become part of the furniture and a bit too much really.

Comment

I fancy one for my gba collection. Maybe?

Comment

In my case, a whole room. And yeah some people's reaction to it has been WTF
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I have a games room too. Half the stuff is in drawers, but I do have a large corner unit where you can see the spines of the games. Most people think it's a bit barmy, but I have some friends that appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                So do you not have any "collectables" as such then?
                I've got a pretty special PS2 set-up, which admittedly would be hard to come by without lots of time and great difficulty, but it to gets regular usage and so is considered to be a regular set-up by myself. It's just next to a TV as any other console would be found in Joe Gamer's house.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a display cabinet. I've been rounding up a fair number of retro consoles for modification over the last few months and due to price I've been buying them unboxed. It would be good to have somewhere to store them and gaze at them from time to time without them getting all covered in dust.

I would love to run a computer/console museum.

The rest of my games just sit on the shelf. I like spines, I do.

Comment

Pictures Please!

Comment

i have one and it was bought for my Neo Geo games

they were all sold and is now used primarily for my N64 stuff

The Neo games did look pretty spesh in there

Comment

Add me to the games room list but I just have shelving units from ikea to store my games no cabinets as such

Comment

I have a Games storage room. I don't call it a games room as i don't actually play any games in there. I keep my games and consoles on shelves in console/alphabetical order for ease of finding them. I always do my gaming in the lounge away from my stacks of games for two reasons:

a, I tend to put more effort into a game. I used to play games in my storage room at my old house, but if i got frustrated with a game i would just start playing another. Now i persevere because i'm too bone idle to go upstairs and get another game

b, It stops me from becoming a hermit, hiding away in my games room for all eternity.

I do not have any display cabinets, although i was considering one for my LE's and favourite items. They are the kinds of things I only bought for collection purposes so i suppose it would be kinda nice to look after them.

Comment

This thread needs more Importaku, that man's setup is tight. He has proper glass cabinets and everything.

Myself, I don't have a dedicated games cabinet but I do have a shelf unit thing in my living room, which is currently buckling beneath the weight of my collection, and all my current-gen stuff is stacked up on the shelves of my entertainment unit. So it's pretty much there to see, although each shelf has two or even three layers worth of stuff so you'd have to actually look under the shelves to see it all.

Comment

I don't really have a display set-up, but my wife & I are currently moving to a new, bigger house. I've been working a lot to renovate it (or at least the part we're going to use the first year) and it's really been tiring, but I'm going to have my own games room - all PC, console and arcade stuff goes in the same dedicated room. I don't intend to buy a lot of extra stuff (and definitely not for display purposes), but I do need new, more functional, shelves

I hope it'll be great when it's finished - fingers crossed, only one more week to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X