Super Play magazine..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Play magazine..

Does anyone have any old issues of the best magazine made they wanna sell?

Man I loved SP. Was the first main link to RPGs and Anime for me. Loved the game music features too.

Great mag. I have the complete set in binders. I got hold of Morts scanned DVD which works well. You can probbaly torrent that as its no longer available for sale.

Comment

I have a stack of these sitting around somewhere. Are there any particular issues you want or already have?

Comment

Best computer mag ever IMHO - nearly got a complete set...

Comment

Well i had pretty much the first 25 issues and stupidly binned them.

Comment

It is one of the greats without a doubt. It got me into manga and anime, as well as opening my eyes to have PAL versions were butchered.

Comment

Indeed... got a full set in binders and Mort's scans as well (though that was free as I helped out on various bits for it!). Imo the spiritual successor to Zzap!64 and best magazine of the 90s...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Well i had pretty much the first 25 issues and stupidly binned them.
                Yeah, I had pretty much all the issues (bar the last 2 or 3) and the 'gold' one, but binned them all in a Prozac-induced 'motivation haze' back in 2001.

Even my Crashes, Zzaps, Zeros, Maximums, ACEs, Edges, Your Sinclairs, etcetera etcetera etcetera. All binned.

Comment

Mine are in my parents loft somewhere. I'd love to dig them out and find the import greats that they recommended back then.

Comment

The only magazines I have a full collection of are: Super Play, Maximum, EDGE.

I binned about 3000 magazines a while back. I had everything from C&VG to Zero etc... Just had too many, and paper smells after soooo long.

Super Play is my favourite magazine, though, so I would never get rid of them. Maximum is a legend, and didn't have many issues, so it's easy to keep.

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                    It is one of the greats without a doubt. It got me into manga and anime, as well as opening my eyes to have PAL versions were butchered.
                    Yep.. got me in to Anime/Manga. I bought Fist Of The North Star, Urotsukidoji, Ultimate Teacher etc.... It's a magazine that inspired me in sooo many ways. The people that made it were intelligent, nice, fun, interesting, and simply great.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-12-2008, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                      Yep.. got me in to Anime/Manga. I bought Fist Of The North Star, Urotsukidoji, Ultimate Teacher etc.... It's a magazine that inspired me in sooo many ways. The people that made it were intelligent, nice, fun, interesting, and simply great.
                      Nah, they were stinkers, all of 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                        Nah, they were stinkers, all of 'em!
                        So.. it was all an act? ... They're probably working at EDGE now

Seriously, they were part of a games journo generation that genuinely loved videogames with a passion. They were people who inspired others with their enthusiasm and brightness.

These days you have EDGE, which is far too cold and serious. Then you have other magazines that are stupid and forgettable. Retro Gamer is the only current magazine that has a lot of the warmth and positive qualities that was found in the likes of Super Play & Mean Machines.

I personally enjoy reading magazines far more than internet sites. I use the internet to share and read opinions, but when it comes to reading about reviews, previews, articles, a good mag is my first choice. I'd buy more magazines if there were actually some good ones to buy.

The only reason I buy EDGE, is because I started collecting it in 93, and feel some stupid compulsion to continue. RG actually deserves my money. I have more money to spend, if someone wants to make another good magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                          So.. it was all an act? ... They're probably working at EDGE now
                          His name not a clue?

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo View Post
                            His name not a clue?
                            Yep, I and others have discussed Wil's brilliant artwork. I was talking about the general writing style and vibe of the magazine.

Wil, you were obviously a very important part of the magazines greatness. Sooo many great covers to enjoy.

How I discovered the magazine was funny. A friend of my brothers came round our house, and had this magazine I hadn't seen before. He then said, " I don't like this, wanna buy it off me? " .... I had a look, and instantly realised how good it was - so I gave him the money, and so began a love affair with the best mag ever made.

That kid was always a bit of a loser.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-12-2008, 18:56.

Comment

Well, if nothing else it's nice to be associated with something a few folks have nice memories of. They were good times

Comment

Working...
                              X