"Let's start over"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Let's start over"

I'm starting afresh. Last-night I went through each of my game-saves and deleted every half-played RPG/Adventure/Platform game. Why? Because I've decided to take it one game at a time.

Currently, I have Metroid Prime, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dark Cloud 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Xenosaga, Tenchu to name a few that I've played for around a couple hours and returned to the shelf. These games deserve better than that. I want to maximise my enjoyment out of these games and to do this, I have to play through one game at a time.

I did it with Halo. Played nothing but Halo, when I eventually sat down with it and played it through till the end. Ditto with Metal Gear Solid 2. And both the aforementioned titles I now hold in high-regard.

If I end up starting, say 3 RPGs and 2 Adventure/Platform games, I'd soon end up forgetting:

- The plot
    - What I'm supposed to be doing
    - Where I go next

And then I'd start another game. And then another.

It's a vicious circle.

Other titles that don't fall under the RPG/Adventure/Platform bracket I'll continue to play as usual in sporadic bursts. But, it's the Metroid Prime's and Dark Cloud 2's of this world that need my full attention to maximise my enjoyment out of them.

Has anyone else felt that they've started one game too many and just got overwhelmed with it all and started another?

Kudos to you

I usually have difficulty getting rid of my save games even when I've finished playing a title

I may take a leaf out of your book, as I find games more enjoyable when I'm not jumping from one to another. You've got more time to analyse the plot and I feel a little more able to appreciate the `little` things in the game

However I might ty and limit myself to only two games at a time instead of one, just incase I get hideously stuck ( hey, it happens ) on one or get a little bored with it

Comment

Last night I began to rerun through Onimusha 2, which is a game I love, however Id spent most of my gaming time in the last 3 weeks playing through Xenosaga. You are right that it doesnt take long to forget the storyline and plot, as well as character developments and status, and I too decided to stick to the one game, Xenosaga only. Im often guilty of starting games I dont finish, and at one time I feel my apathy towards gaming was partly due to havig too many games to play and too little time. Now I tend to only buy games I am really interested in, and play them to completion where possible before moving onto the next.

Comment

Agreed.
        And I decided to start with Eternal Darkness. I am sure I enjoyed it more because I played it straight through (albeit only once - Adamstone made me realise you have to play it 3 times to see the full ending )

Comment

I used to buy games as soon as they were out and have tons of them on the go at once undergoing exactly what you described above. This just lead to frustration with not having enough time to play the mounting games and never finishing anything off.

Now I operate on a one in one out system , I dont buy anything unless I've completed something, it also makes trading in games easier (Im a terrific hoarder) which further eases the cash situation.

Eg. Last week
          Out - Metroid Fusion, RTCW, NwN, Unreal II
          In - Metroid Prime, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Monkeyball 2

I find I get much more out of each purchase rather than the 'dabbling' I was previously doing.

Comment

I have the exact same 'problem' as you guys, and it was really getting me down last night. I just picked up Steel Battalion yesterday, but i couldn't bring myself to open it and start playing. I want to dedicate all my gaming time to it.

I might try putting all my games away, except for the one or two I'm playing currently.

I know, I know. It's a glamourous problem.

Comment

The problem with you folk, and yes it is a problem (you can't all be perfect like me) is you don't play games, you collect them. Personally I limit myself (try to) 5 games per console, for instance I only have 2 games for my PS2, and only 1 I play. The GameCube on the other hand is a slightly different story, but I am trying to get rid of the deadweight there, got about 10 games, 5 of which I don't want.

Back in my 3do days I had about 5 games a week, and never played any of them, took me about a year to complete Killing Time, Captain Quazar never got completed, managed to do Need for Speed I think. So every time I looked at my 3do, I had this mountain of games, and instead of an exercise in entertainment it was a chore, so I said to myself, bugger this, got rid of the whole cherbang, picked up a Saturn and my fun started there.

Comment

Yup, more times than I care to remember.

Currently I am playing Metroid and Resi 0. I am not buying a new game until they are finished. That game will be Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Comment

Jibber is right. I was doing the same up until Animal Crossing came out. Then I tried to stop. Since then I have only bought about 3 games (Sonic Mega And Kinniku for quick game bursts and Ikaruga). Ordered Zelda just to get the Pre Order Bonus. The only other games I will buy until I finish the ones below are bargains that I spot on my wanted list or Soul Caliber 2.

This is my outstanding games list. I am not restarting them all but I will finish them from where I left off!

Eternal Darkness (all 3 times - Currently 5 and a half hours into red route)
                  Mario Sunshine (49 shines so far plus 67 blue coins)
                  Resident Evil (Both times. Up to the snake with chris)
                  Rogue Leader (Up to the Academy Heist I think!)
                  Battle Houshin (Final boss)
                  Tony Hawks 3 (Final mission)
                  Smash Bros (My aim I guess will be to unlock all characters!)
                  Super Monkey Ball (Will I ever finish it anyway?)
                  Pikmin (played through once but failed to fully finish)
                  Ikaruga (Can only get to Chapter 2 boss)

I try to complete each game - Then one day I'll go back and 100% it (Still want to play Luigi again and get an A and finish the 4 extra Doshin levels).

I think thats enough to last me the rest of the year! I'll be playing Metroid Prime when everyone else is on Metroid Prime 2!

My problem is I can't bare selling games once I've bought them - And I want to fully enjoy and complete every game I own - Yet I only get to play for about 2/3 hours a WEEK

Comment

Yeah, I have Shenmue 2, Monkey Ball 2, Ghost Recon, Deus Ex, Resi Code Veronica, Moto GP, Mario Sunshine, Wave Race, , Rogue Leader, Winning Eleven 6:FE, Splinter Cell, JSRF, Sega GT 2002 and Zelda on its way... (and probably more I haven't thought of).

Writing it down like that makes you realise just how stupid it is. Man I've been greedy!

Comment

One exception to my new rule will be the Dreamcast. I still have about 10 or so titles that I want to complete my collection, and some of them are getting a bit thin on the ground (i.e. Project justice).

Comment

I'm currently playing Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness on the GC, Shenmue and Grandia 2 on the DC and Planescape Torment and Freelancer on the PC.

Good idea btw... I've decided that when Zelda arrives I'm not gonna play anything else until i've finished it... then I'll go back and finish Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness etc. I'll play the PC games when my sis is watching the TV. Wether I stick to the plan is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by davejm
                          I've decided that when Zelda arrives I'm not gonna play anything else until i've finished it...
                          Me too - and i'm not buying another game till I've finished at least 2 others.

Comment

Zelda is the one I am waiting for at the moment. That will be my first game I intend to go through from beginning to end ^_^

Comment

Zelda is tricky for me. Because of my list of games to complete it will have to slip between Resident Evil and Rogue Leader. And I also want to play through OoT and Master Quest. Maybe I'll save time and just play through the MQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X