Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNK Arcade Classics PS2 out in UK PAL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNK Arcade Classics PS2 out in UK PAL...

...for those who care.

Went into the local Gamestation (Leeds) this afternoon and they had four or five sealed copies sitting in the preowned section, going for £9.99 a pop. As I'd been waiting sodding aaaaages for this, I got all kiddy-chuffed, it almost felt like Christmas '86.

Nothing much else to say (cos I've only been playing it for an hour or so) but this is a very nice collection, especially at £10 for 17 games, though a few of the games seem to suffer wonky emulation issues - Super Sidekicks 3 seems a bit jerkier than I remember it being down the arcades, and KOF '94 and Last Resort seem to slow down a fair bit, though I remember Last Resort always looking a little stuttery in parts. Having never owned a Neo Geo, I can't really say for certain. Maybe an expert could enlighten me?

Oh, it's got 60hz, too, though they messed that up a tad - in 'full display' mode, the screen is set a little too low, meaning that even when playing in NTSC mode, you get a nice black border at the top of the screen, and try as I might, I can't find a 'position screen' option, which is a bit of a bugger. You get the option of 'partial display', which squashes the screen a little more in both directions, but I'm only playing on a little 14" telly, so I'm not touching that option with a bargepole.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Neo Geo obsessives might have a field day in picking it apart (and please do), but for a pauper like me, it's another pretty damn good yet flawed yet jam-packed PS2 retro arcade comp, only with a more consistently decent selection of games.

Posted this news on the headlines topic here...http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=80083&page=4 November, no one seemed to care (they probably all own the originals!)
    Its a nice collection and nice to see it on PAL

Comment

Does anyone have an ntscj copy they want to sell me please? Apparently it got a release in asia, although not Japan. Cant find a copy anywhere

Comment

I've also see the Wii version but both are strange very rare. Got my PS2 copy a few months back.

You can also get the Fatal Fury Vol 1 Collection, World Heroes Antology and Art of Fighting Antology in PAL as well. These all have a fully working and correct 60hz mode.

www.shopto.net Also have the two KOF games up for pre order on the PS2. But I'd me a bit carefully about doing that as the releases dates have a habit of going back and back.
        Last edited by S3M; 08-01-2009, 14:22.

Comment

I've been searching for this for a while now along with the KoF Orochi compilation but so far have had zero luck.

Will check out Gamestation to see if I can get lucky so thanks for the tip!

Comment

Last Resort had a fair bit of slowdown, especially the level with the flying mechanical penises. One of the best hori shooters ever imho.

Comment

Seen a few in my local gamestations. Not picked one up yet though.

Comment

We've had this in at work on PS2 along with the Wii and PSP versions.

Also had the World Heroes, Fatal Fury and Orochi Saga compilations in. Snapped up OS sharpish!

The PSP version is pretty good bar some annoying load times. Good fun on the commute to and from work.

Comment

Good value. I believe it's also available in PS3 format. Would like to hear from Neo Geo owners as to whether any of these conversions are any substitute for buying the actual cart's/CD-ROM's though.

Comment

Originally posted by dentoncobbler View Post
                    Good value. I believe it's also available in PS3 format. Would like to hear from Neo Geo owners as to whether any of these conversions are any substitute for buying the actual cart's/CD-ROM's though.
                    Fairly in depth discussion of the compilaton here, particularly on page 2.

Hello fellow Neo Geo and SNK fans. Well we all waited for it. Looked to be amazing! Its not. It fails on many many levels. The good news first. You get 15 games! Neat intro and the design is pretty cool overall. The bad news......yikes. Every game on here is busted. There is either...

Comment

There isnt a ps3 version is there?

Comment

Originally posted by dentoncobbler View Post

In a word.....no

Comment

Picked up sealed orochi saga and arcade classics PS2 versions today in the pre-owned section of gamestation for £10 each. There were quite a few more if anyone can't get hold of either.

Comment

Originally posted by superstarbeejay View Post
                            Picked up sealed orochi saga and arcade classics PS2 versions today in the pre-owned section of gamestation for ?10 each. There were quite a few more if anyone can't get hold of either.
                            I cannot get SNK Arcade Classics locally. Any chance you could pick up a copy for me? I'd be happy to give you something for your trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              I cannot get SNK Arcade Classics locally. Any chance you could pick up a copy for me? I'd be happy to give you something for your trouble.
                              Sure. I'll pm you.

Comment

Working...
                              X