Each console's most significant game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Each console's most significant game

Was thinking about this on the plane back from Dubai. By significant I mean the most-talked about, highest profile game. Here's what I was thinking of:

NES - Super Mario Bros
    SNES - Streetfighter II TWW
    N64 - Mario 64
    GC - no idea
    Wii - Wii Sports
    Neo Geo - Metal Slug
    Master System - no idea
    Megadrive - Sonic
    Saturn - Sega Rally
    Dreamcast - no idea
    PS - some ideas (Tekken, Tomb Raider, Ridge Racer, MGS)
    PS2 - Grand Theft Auto 3
    X-box - Halo
    Game Boy - utterly torn between Tetris and Pokemon. I'll go for Tetris
    DS - utterly torn between Nintendogs and Brain Training. I'll go for Brain Training

So, what do you think of my picks? Any ideas for the ones where I have no idea? And how about the consoles I haven't mentioned (PC Engine anyone?)?

Would say SNES one has to be Super Mario World.

Comment

GC would probably be Super Smash Bros Melee. Although my Favourite GC was Wind Waker. I love that edition of Zelda.

PCE Dracula X Chi No Rondo. Worth splashing out to get on original hardware..if not...PSP!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
        Considered that, but thought there was some disappointment that it was too similar to the NES ones. Once Streetfighter II was released, it was also included in a bundle, which made me plump for it.

That reminds me, perhaps Gran Turismo would be the PS game of choice.

Comment

Agreed

Also surely for Dreamcast it would be Shenmue?

Comment

Goldeneye 007 was a far more popular and talked about game for the N64.
            For DS, I'd probably say DragonQuest IX.
            GC...Perhaps I'd say Wind Waker too, if only for it's infamy to some.

Comment

I haven't played enough Dreamcast games to make a choice - toyed with Soul Calibur, but you're right, Shenmue is probably better.

Any PC Engine suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                For DS, I'd probably say DragonQuest IX.
                Really? Higher profile than Nintendogs and Brain Training worldwide?

Comment

Right now anyway. Were N-dogs and BT really high-profile? I don't think I would have described them like that. Well-marketed at least.

Comment

agreed, gc = re4.

Comment

Right now anyway. Were N-dogs and BT really high-profile? I don't think I would have described them like that. Well-marketed at least.
                      But Nintendogs sold over 20-Million copies, if that's not high profile then Halo (with it's measly 5M) is positively indie...

Anyway I've never even heard of Dragon Quest, there's no way it could be above Phantom Hourglass, or even Phoenix Wright.

Comment

I think so, yes. Years from now, I think those games will be mentioned the most on websites talking about the DS, whereas Dragon Quest will only merit a mention at best. I would say those games are what wrested the initiative away from the PSP permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by 12-51-00 View Post
                          Agreed

Also surely for Dreamcast it would be Shenmue?

Yep agree with that

Comment

I would say Shenmue is definitely right for the DC but Soul Calibur came out a lot earlier and knocked peoples' socks off. I bought a DC as soon as I saw SC running.

For the Megadrive Sonic is about right for high profile but early on it was Super Shinobi I wanted, the soundtrack still resonates in my mind.

SNES is Mario World defo but for me personally and everyone I knew it was all about Street Fighter 2.

Comment

Think Brain Training is definitely the most talked about for the DS, and is the software that has won the it most publicity. I'd say it was Tetris for the Game Boy.

When I think of the Master System the only game that stands out is Alex Kidd, due to it being built in to some versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X