I heart Onitsuka Tiger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heart Onitsuka Tiger

Ever since buying a pair of Mexico 66's I had a love for the Onitsuka Tiger brand and haven't bought any other brand of trainer since. The only other type of trainer that I would consider is a classic pair of Addidas shelltoe, everything else is either too chavy or too skater dudish. I'm currently up to my 6th pair - white Mexico 66's with tweed stripes and zig-zag stitching, probably my favorite pair to date as they're quite unusual.

Even when I was in Japan I made a point of visiting the flagship Tiger store in Ebisu in Tokyo, which actually turned out to be a bit of a let down as Japanese fashion is a bit too weird for my tastes, but I did however pickup a cool tarpaulin wallet. The missus did also picked up a pair of trainers crossed with slip on shoes which look sweet.

Most people will know the brand from the yellow and black Mexico trainers Uma Thurman wore in Kill Bill...

Anyway, any other Tiger lovers out there? They've revamped the official site and it looks like they are bringing more clothing to the UK. The only other place online I've seen clothing on is a site called Walk like a Tiger, so it's good to see the brand expanding.

It's funny you should post this, I'm considering buying some on pay day. Got my eye on some Mexico's with velcro fastenings (too lazy for laces).

Comment

Never fancied Velcro ones, I'm a laces kind of guy Which ones were you looking at? The thing with Tigers is that various retailers seem to have exclusivity on certain styles, but there are particular styles that are common across all shops (orange and green/blue and red Mexico 66s seem to be everywhere).

Comment

The ones I fancy are white with green and red stripes. They look pretty sweet. I know what you mean about the amount of chavvy or sk8r b0i type trainers around. These at least look like they'll go with pretty much whatever you wear. I'm not a fan of massive logos, etc so that's pretty much ruled Nike, et al out.

Comment

You sir are a man of impacable taste. I have two pairs of them!

Comment

Thanks for the links MonkeyWrench, i'm after a new pair of swish trainers. They look **** hot! Hopefully they have them in 12/13s.

Comment

No problem, just spreading the love

Comment

Great shoes, comfy, beautifully designed, classics. Pity Kill Bill f*cked things up.

I stockpiled three pairs in 2001/2002 (2 pairs of 'Mexico 66' in various colours, the other a fantastically comfy retro 80s navy suede running shoe, which I've worn out.)

They have that vintage Adidas-style feeling, but with a more organic vibe, and they have this lightness. It's...hard to explain.

Comment

Love 'em. I managed to wear out my first couple of pairs but bought 3 new pairs when on hols recently.

Comment

Got my pair yesterday, they're actually white with red and blue stripes as Schuch didn't have the red and green that I was after, just all white, so I went to Office instead. They feel very comfy immediately and as JazzFunk says oddly light. Two thumbs up from me.

Comment

Just bought a pair of the Game of Death/Kill Bill ones off ebay. Pair of size 13s, didn't fit the guy properly so he bung them on the bay. Not bad for £45.

Comment

They are pretty slippy though, not much grip on them!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                          ...and they have this lightness. It's...hard to explain.
                          It like wearing a pair of slippers...you can run dead fast in them

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
                          They are pretty slippy though, not much grip on them!
                          Very true. There's a bit of a cobbled path outside our front gate and it's bloody lethal when wet.

Anyway...went looking around today to see if I could find any Tigers in the sales, nothing that really caught my eye. I did see a pair of black tweed ones which are basically a negative of my current pair, but I'm not sure about black trainers.

Does anyone else have an issue with the stitching coming loose near the big toe on Mexico 66's. I've had a couple of pairs do this now, but weirdly it's always on the right foot.

Comment

i bought a pair of aeka trainers the other day off ebay and i have to say i wasnt overly impressed to start off with. my heels seemed to rub uncomfortably on the back of the shoe and im still not sure id want to run/play any sport in them.

fortunately i didnt buy them for sport, just some casual shoes and i have to say that i do in fact also heart onitsuka tiger. i think the heel thing was just a matter of wearing the shoes in. i love the design of them and as other people have said, these are some comfy shoes.

Comment

Im going for pair of the yellow mexico 66, kill-bill stylee

Anyone know what the average price of the 66's are? all the places ive found al seem to be around ?60 mark, which im happy to pay as there comfortable as hell, but if i can save money why not.

Comment

Working...
                              X