Console to Jamma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Console to Jamma

Anyone had any experience rigging up a Saturn or other retro console to a Jamma cab with the least amount of fuss possible?

I'd be quite happy to use the consoles pads rather than the cab's CP for now (future project).

Its an Egret II if that matters at all.

MD to jamma isn't that bad apparently, I believe chaoticjelly had a hand in doing a jamma snes for someone too.

Comment

Easy to find the specs to build your own online.

I have a few ps1/ps2 mgcd's (pre-built adaptors with coin for credit/time play modes). They do the job but you have to hack a bit.

Newer consoles with vga are very easy if you have a 31KHz monitor.

You can buy MD's with built in jamma connectors on ebay but they are usually ???.

If you don't want to tinker yourself then ChaoticJelly or other modders would be able to help you out.

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately it was some time ago that I did this and have since sold my cab but its not too difficult to do, I think instead of taking apart my Saturn Scart and wiring it up I used a multi scart adapter which then allowed me to use any console by plugging into the adapter.

Also I managed to wire up two Saturn pads, you just need to find one of the guides and follow it through, also come to think of it I did need some of those Jamma slot things.

I have attached some pics, they are bad quality from my phone but shows the Jamma connecter on one of them, think I have some of them lying around somewhere still.

Really though best thing is either buy one of these ready made devices or follow a guide online.

Edit:

I am starting to remember I had some real probs with the Jamma connector, I think I had to buy some parts from Maplins to get the picture displaying correctly.

Edit again:

Just wanted to mention once this was all working it was awsome, VF1 running off Saturn was wicked.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mikewl; 19-01-2009, 19:56.

Comment

Cheers for the advice so far guys. I'll do some swatting up.

Comment

I have a Jamma Cab which I built adapters into and have it running PSX, PS2, Saturn, Gamecube and Xbox There are four main things you should look to do (this assumes you have a decent knowledge of wiring and soldering). You'll need a JAMMA fingerboard.

1) Power. I got an extension lead and wired it up to the cabs power. Make sure it is switched off when you do this, 240v is not nice. Now you have a plug inside the cab you can plug your console into.

*ADDITIONAL NOTE* remember with this you are basically adding an extension to a socket, not plugging something into it. Please make sure you know exactly what you are doing with this, do not get your live and neutral wires confused or you could end up with a nasty short circuit. It will probably just trip the switches in your house but it's not worth taking any chances, there might be a bit of a bang

2) Video. Hook up a female SCART connector to the fingerboard.

3) Audio - arcade boards usually have an amp built in, so you will have to fit an amp in somehow. Easiest thing is to get a basic set of PC speakers, they should do the job. Fit a female minijack socket to the scart connector so you can plug them in, and then the audio from the console will go straight out of the speakers.

4) Controllers. Probably the toughest part. What I did was to get two old PC joystick extension cables (15 pin) and cut them in half. These are male one end and female the other. Wire the male ones onto the JAMMA fingerboard. what you've effectively done here is create two controller ports for the fingerboard. The female halves you have left can then be wired into the controller of your choice - so you're making a control adapter that will connect to the fingerboard. I wired one each to two standard PSX controllers - the reason? you can then buy PSX controller adapters for Xbox, Gamecube etc. I couldn't find one for the Saturn so I just got another extension cable and created a separate adapter for that. You could also build one for Megadrive relatively easily.

I hope that helps. Please ask if you need any more info, and do persevere, you won't believe how much fun a game like Gradius V is if you put it into a cab
            Last edited by highrise; 21-01-2009, 14:45.

Comment

Working...
            X