Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Gamer 61 - The Leon Ahoy Edition

Darn can't link the cover...

The complete history of Mario Kart: Nintendo proves that you can teach an old plumber new tricks

The Making of R-Type: Irem exclusively reveals how its legendary shoot-em-up came to be

Retroinspection - MSX: A machine that's both a console and a computer? That will never sell. Will it?

The Classic Game: Super Punch-Out!!: We strap on our boxing gloves and get in the ring with the SNES's mighty 16-bit brawler

The Making of Frak!: Creator Nick Pelling looks back at his classic platforming caveman

A Shock 2 the System: How System Shock 2 changed FPSs forever

The Making of Robotron: Behind the scenes of the frantic, dual-sticked blaster

Something Old, Something New - R-Type Tactics: A new spin on the classic franchise

Eastern Promise - Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru: It costs a fortune, but is it worth it?

The Making of Ecco the Dolphin - Defender of the Future: How Sega watery hero went 3D

Advert Rising: An indepth look at product placement over the years

The Making of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders: One of the funniest LucasArts adventures that doesn't have a psychotic rabbit in it.

And much more including M Bison, Sir Lancelot, Scooby Doo, Pacific, Bubbles, The Ooze , Homebrew reviews

Haven't received my issues yet. Probably will be here by tomorrow.

But I'm glad it's looking like the complete opposite from the last one, going by the content list that is.
    I haven't even read the last issue as it was almost completely computer/micro centric, which isn't my cup of tea.

For a while there I was starting to worry that the "retro games are 8-bit computer games and nothing else" crowd had finally gotten their way.
    Glad that doesn't seem to be the case.

Comment

Good to see Eastern Promise - One of my favs.
      Mario Kart, R-type + a bit on M-Bison. Fantastic! Will enjoy this issue.

A big celebration of the gameboy sometime this year please! Not read much the monowonder since a small bit in issue 9 (i think). LONG overdue a proper retro-inspection.

Comment

It's not even my birthday.

A history of Mario Kart ... I can't wait to look at that. Super Punch-Out is a great game. The R-Type piece will be interesting.

I bet I'll be convinced to pay ridiculous money for Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru ... The MSX is an interesting machine - because of its Japanese origins and games. Robotron is an amazing game - that I always enjoy playing more than the likes of Geometry Wars.

Overall... it's great to see an issue that delivers a broad range of exciting content. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
          Advert Rising: An indepth look at product placement over the years
          Nice pun.

In what sense is this the "Leon Ahoy Edition"? Does it come with a ltd edition Leon Ahoy statuette?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
            I bet I'll be convinced to pay ridiculous money for Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru
            I really don't understand why it's fetching such high prices. I was going to buy it a couple of years ago for around £130 but ended up getting Stellar Assault: SS as I figured it'd be the better game, and when you're forking out that much for a game it had better be good. These days Stellar Assualt sells for peanuts (I couldn't shift mine on eBay for £80) whereas prices for Taromaru have shot through the roof. WTF?

Comment

I didn't actually like Taromaru at all. So fiddly to control.

Comment

I didn't actually like Taromaru at all. So fiddly to control.
                Play it with a pad with autofire and it becomes much better

Comment

found the Mario Kart article a bit dry, I far prefer the makings of when you get juicy tidbits of info.

its just a factual history of the game and content, nothing offering any insight, which I know is hard with inhouse Nintendo titles.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                    found the Mario Kart article a bit dry, I far prefer the makings of when you get juicy tidbits of info.

its just a factual history of the game and content, nothing offering any insight, which I know is hard with inhouse Nintendo titles.
                    Yeah, I've been trying for years with no success, so thought sod it. I still maintain it's a great introduction to the series though.

Comment

it is a very good introduction of the titles and clearly written with love by somebody who knows the series, as a real Mario Kart fan (I paid £100+ for the jap N64 version on import) it just didn't tell me anything I didn't know.

fully appreciate the difficulty though of getting into Nintendo for info on their 1st party stuff, shame as I'd love to know some background as to the original that started it all, it was just so ahead of any other racer out there at the time I'd have loved to know how long they had the idea for, iterations it went thru etc.

all time classic is an overused phrase but the SNES Mario Kart is that, one of the greatest games ever.

Comment

Just a quick nitpick. The article says the N64 version was the first to use ghosts in the time trials, but you get them on the Snes too.

Comment

Blame Mayhem, I got him to check it for me

Comment

My nitpicking aside, It's a good issue. I did enjoy the mario kart article, and the r-type one. Also always good to see Super Punch Out. That game doesn't get enough love.

Comment

Yeah... guess I missed that one then
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X