Cooking for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking for dummies

So, having split from the missus, I'd better learn to cook. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while as I've always loved my food. I'm not an entire moron - I can do a fry up, boil an egg, grill a meat or tuna steak etc. But I don't really consider that /cooking/, especially after watching Masterchef.

I'm pretty sure that I could get good - as I said above, I enjoy good food, and I can really tell what's going on - friends and family are often bored ^W^W^Wsurprised at my observations.

I just need a starting point. I don't have much time to dedicate to this, like a lot of people I have too many hobbies. Do I just start downloading and making random recipes, or do I try to learn certain techniques?

Any advice and website or book recommendations appreciated.

You already have the skills, you just need to combine things. Watch OTHER cooking programmes for better ideas.

Comment

I find that the new Jamie Oliver book is very good. Lots of good recipes that are easy to follow and most don't take that long to cook either.

Comment

Epicurious.com is a good recipe site. Read some food blogs to get a good idea of how people talk about food. Do research if things pique your interest. Go to farmer's markets and try interesting sounding things. Spend money on eating out at good quality restaurants rather than chain or fast-food places.

Also: cook all the time! Taste herbs and spices before you add them to your food. Mixing them with a bit of butter will bring out their flavour. Learn to make soups! Easy and delicious, with lots of varieties. Evaluate meals that you make. Think about where you went right and where you went wrong. Note down little tips and tricks that you come across. Have fun!

Comment

Delia Smith. Seriously. Her instructions are written for the clueless. Plus she has some very nice recipes. Mrs G swears by her (although she is far from clueless when it comes to the cooking department).

Check out How To Cook.

Comment

I agree Delia has a place, move on from there onto something by Prue Leith. No fancy cheffy crap, just basic(or not) recipies that are tried and trusted. Once you can turn out these dishes you can add your own take on the dishes after having a decent grounding in the classics.

Of the cheffy type books I prefer Ramsays, they always turn out cracking.

One thing to get sorted in the spring is a herb patch in your garden, fresh herbs cost a fortune and the difference they make over the dried sawdust your get in jars is unreal.

Comment

These aint bad

http://www.recipezaar.com

Find recipes from your favourite BBC programmes and chefs, or browse by ingredient or dish. With over 13000 recipes you're sure to find the perfect dish.

Comment

the first couple of Jamie Olivers books - very easy & great food

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                  I find that the new Jamie Oliver book is very good. Lots of good recipes that are easy to follow and most don't take that long to cook either.
                  I agree 100% - I was useless until i got jamies ministry of food book. Now I am cooking all sorts.

This is one of my favourite meals at the moment

Comment

I've put one of my favourites on a blog page HERE
                    It really is easy and tastes fantastic. It is also quite difficult to mess up.

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                    I agree Delia has a place, move on from there onto something by Prue Leith.
                    I don't agree with that at all. Delia will teach you the basics that you need. You can build on these for more complex recipes.
                    Delia's recipe for a white sauce (roux) is unbeatable for example.
                    Last edited by smouty; 01-02-2009, 15:55.

Comment

Thanks all for the tips and links etc. I borrowed Delia's Complete Cookery Course from the old woman - certainly helped me sleep last night. I figure even if it's not beginner's stuff like How to Cook, some of the genius will seep in. I don't actually see myself raving about many of her recipes - but perhaps I should taste the results first.

I can't believe the cool people of NTSC-UK recommended annoying chav Jamie Oliver! Still, if you can't beat 'em...

Also, no suggestions to play Cooking Mama?

In edit: maybe this should become the Cooking Thread (I couldn't find one before my OP).
                      Last edited by topper; 01-02-2009, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X