Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PenPen (Dreamcast)

Hello all

Has anyone played the Japanese version of this? If so, does it have any English text for the various game modes? Presumably it also has a 60Hz option - does the PAL version have this too?

Ta.

Originally posted by gordon View Post
    Hello all

Has anyone played the Japanese version of this? If so, does it have any English text for the various game modes? Presumably it also has a 60Hz option - does the PAL version have this too?

Ta.

I'd love to know this answer also.

Comment

Everythings in Japanese i'm afraid, only ever played it on my JPN Dreamcast so yes it'll be 60hz, no idea what it would switch to in a PAL console though.

Comment

Fantastic little game
        Pal versions 50hz only though i'm afraid. Saying that, there isn't a great deal of text in the game (just courses etc) and a translation FAQ would be easy to find i'd imagine...

Cream cream creeeeeam creaaaaaam cream cream

Comment

GameFAQs seems to suggest there's a Career Mode and a normal race mode (single and multiplayer?), and that there are four styles of track with five races in each. Is that about right? If it's that simple I might give the Jap version a go.

If there are time trials and tons of other modes, I'll stick to the PAL version.
          Last edited by gordon; 01-02-2009, 21:17.

Comment

Yep that sounds about right, going by memory. It is a very simple layout though (long versions of courses etc).

Other option is a U.S copy if your DC is capable of running it of course... best of both worlds

Comment

The Pal version is sadly.. 50hz

Pen Pen is an excellent game. At first.. I thought the controls were crap.. but.. I soon got the hang of things. Once.. you get quite good at it - it becomes a fantastic experience. In fact.. it's one of my favourite cutesy games ever - and always fun to play. The graphics.. whilst not amazing, are very nice. It should have had more respect back in the day. The fact is.. it didn't blow people away - and that's what people expected from the DC. Soul Calibur did that. Now.. we can just enjoy Pen Pen for what it is.

Comment

Ordered the JP version - ta for the help.

Comment

never actually played this first time round, reviews are mixed they said its pleasant visuals but gameplay can be a mix bag, may pick it up it cheap enough!

Comment

They're going for around a fiver on eBay; my Japanese copy was just under that, and I was watching a PAL one for £3 + postage. Worth a try, I'd suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by danrich316 View Post
                      never actually played this first time round, reviews are mixed they said its pleasant visuals but gameplay can be a mix bag, may pick it up it cheap enough!
                      It's a very good game. At first.. I reckon any gamer would be annoyed by the controls - but.. once you get the hang of them.. it's really fun.

The visuals are vibrant and charming. In fact.. I'd put the game in my Top15 DC games easily.

Comment

Its one of the most overlooked and underrated games of all time imo . Gutted it never sold well, as sequel with online play and double the tracks would have been awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          Its one of the most overlooked and underrated games of all time imo . Gutted it never sold well, as sequel with online play and double the tracks would have been awesome
                          It's the perfect game for LiveArcade. If I was a dev - I'd copy the formula.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                            It's the perfect game for LiveArcade. If I was a dev - I'd copy the formula.
                            Yes so would Alien Front Online , Virtual On II ECT. Wake me up when SEGA Japan gets it

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Yes so would Alien Front Online , Virtual On II ECT. Wake me up when SEGA Japan gets it
                              Yep.. the list goes on and on. The Japanese could destroy what most western devs produce for LiveArcade. As you say: " Wake up Japan! "

Comment

Working...
                              X