Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Corner HBO Mini Series

Has anyone ever seen it??

Bit of an old one apparantly but it's just been picked up for showing on Channel FX.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
    The Corner is a 2000 HBO television miniseries based on the book The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood by David Simon and Ed Burns and adapted for television by Simon and David Mills.
    The Corner chronicles the life of a family living in poverty amid the open-air drug markets of West Baltimore.
    The miniseries won several Emmy Awards in 2000, including that for best miniseries. Charles S. Dutton won for his direction of the mini series. David Mills and David Simon won Emmys for their writing. The Corner was also nominated for Outstanding Casting for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special.
    Got the first couple recorded ready to watch but just wondered what it's like if anyone has seen it.
    From the writer of the Wire so expecting good things personally.

Will post some impressions once I've watched the episoides.

Neil

its brilliant, totally bleak and a bit disconcerting as some of the actors who play police in the Wire play junkies and vice versa.

very very dark though, makes the Wire seem like Disney, maybe not quite that bad but you get my drift.

Comment

Thats good to hear

The trailers I've seen do make it look seriously bleak & nasty.

Will look forward to sitting down with it then...think I might wait till I've got all the episodes & then watch it in a couple of sittings depending on how much I can take

Neil

Comment

it does have an overall story arc but each episode sits quite well on its own, I did 2 eps back2back at work one afternoon but its quite draining.

i couldnt do 3-4 eps of this like I could with the Wire.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
          it does have an overall story arc but each episode sits quite well on its own, I did 2 eps back2back at work one afternoon but its quite draining.

i couldnt do 3-4 eps of this like I could with the Wire.
          I do get the feeling it could be quite draining & distressing so I think I'll tackle them on an episode by day basis now you've said that.

I'm pretty soppy at the best of times & I think I'll be a emotional wreck after trying to tackle too many at once lol

Neil

Comment

Thanks for the headsup, sounds like my kind of thing

Comment

Just seen the first one, see what you mean about seeing The Wire actors in different roles. Very weird seeing Freeman in particular!

Seems good though, will certainly watch the rest.

Comment

Working...
              X