Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone explain this to me please?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could someone explain this to me please?!

I returned a pair of jeans to M&S today. They were originally bought for ?12.00 on 27 December 2008. I was told I could have a refund as a credit voucher as I did not have my wife's bank card with me (she had bought them), and I was perfectly happy with this.

The lady at customer service scanned the item's barcode and said they were ?12, but then proceeded to give me a refund for ?11.75! When I questioned what had become of the 25p, she said and I quote: "it's VAT". It only occured to me to question this once I returned to work as I hadn't realised what had happened straight away.

Now these jeans were purchased AFTER the VAT reduction, but it appears that I have been charged 25p for that - this cannot be right? I know it's only a small amount, but M&S stand to make a lot of money if this continues and I don't see why this is happening at all?!

Can anyone explain simply to me why this should have happened?

Cheers

You buy jeans for £12? lolz

Comment

Nah wifey did, in the sale. Thanks for all your help though!

Comment

I'm wearing M+S jeans right now, very comfortable I might add.

good luck with your quest noble soldier.

Comment

Doesn't sound right to me, you can't be charged VAT on something you effectively haven't bought

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
            Nah wifey did, in the sale. Thanks for all your help though!
            Heh heh sorry for a moment I thought I was on rllmuk!

I would just tell them to GTF, it doesn't make any sense at all does it? It's probably something to do with when their tills were updated.

Still who is going to kick up a fuss over just 25p. M&S win!

Give Watchdog a ring, they would love this story.

Comment

I'm wearing M+S jeans right now, very comfortable I might add.
              What ? The £12 women's ones ?!

Comment

They have to refund you the full amount you paid and M&S are usually one of the best for refunding. But because it was paid on a card and the refund wasn't going to the card as your wife wasn't with you, the VAT may have been deducted as part of the charge made in the first place. Sounds odd though.
                Have a google and see what you turn up

Comment

The original price was £12. When the VAT got changed from 17.5 to 15% they initially didn't bother changing the prices on items - that's when your wife bought them. Later they must have adjusted the prices: £11.75 is the correct price after the VAT reduction.

They're just being lazy and using the current till price. If you have the original receipt you should be able to get back what you paid for it - only if you have no receipt would they insist on the current price (since you could have bought it that morning).

That's my take.

Comment

This doesn't make sense to me. When you bought the jeans (it doesn't matter who or how) you will have payed VAT on them anyway, even at the lower rate. When you ask for a refund, you get refunded the full amount (VAT and all). Basicly they have carged you VAT twice by the sound of it??

Comment

Cheers Kernow!

That's what I thought Darwock

AYB - is sarcasm rife on rllmuk then? Sorry, don't visit that place. I've emailed them to see what they have to say. And you are right, who's gonna complain about 25p (apart from me obviously) but if M&S get 2.5p out of every pound refunded, that's gonna add up pretty damn quickly!

Nemesis - you don't pay an additional charge for paying by card, the consumer doesn't anyway.

Nijo - the cost WAS £12 on the receipt and the item was bought AFTER the change to 15% VAT.

BeyondJumpFish - my thoughts exactly!
                      Last edited by funkydan; 05-02-2009, 15:44.

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                        Nijo - the cost WAS £12 on the receipt and the item was bought AFTER the change to 15% VAT.
                        Like I said, they hadn't bothered to remark all the prices when your wife bought them. Go and check now - I bet they're out at £11.75.

Edit: Though the website still has them at £12.
                        Last edited by Nijo; 05-02-2009, 15:47.

Comment

You were robbed. My jeans were £6 out of ASDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nijo View Post
                            Like I said, they hadn't bothered to remark all the prices when your wife bought them. Go and check now - I bet they're out at £11.75.

Edit: Though the website still has them at £12.
                            Ummm, she bought them after the VAT reduction and was charged £12 - it was on the receipt!

Anyway, if you have a receipt, they HAVE to refund you the price that you paid otherwise they are basically stealing!

Originally posted by peeveen View Post
                            You were robbed. My jeans were £6 out of ASDA.
                            You buy jeans for £6? lolz

Comment

Retailers did not have to pass the rate change onto customers, you are assuming M&S had done this immediately.

Old price was ?12, base ?10.21 VAT ?1.79
                              New price was ?12, base ?10.43 VAT ?1.56 ie they adjusted the base price instead of relabelling the stock

Current price is ?11.75, base ?10.21 VAT ?1.53

This is similar to you buying an item before Xmas for ?10 and getting a ?5 refund in the sales. The refund will be the current price, not the price paid.

Comment

Working...
                              X