Recording interviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recording interviews?

I'm doing some research on something I'm working on and I need to record some interviews. Some people are in other countries. Because I have no knowledge of phone tapping, would the best idea to be to use Skype and some sort of PC sound recorder? Can that be done and, if so, what would be the best easiest programme to use for that?

You can buy tape recorders that plug in between the wall and your phone, or between the phone and the handset if it's one that lets you unplug the handset. Journalists use them. They are quite expensive though I think, if you're only going to use it once or twice. Some of the flashier dictaphones have phone inputs on them also.

There's a few to look at here.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the link. Yeah, they are quite expensive and I wouldn't be using it much but it lets me know what I'm looking for to see if I can track one down. Something like one of those would be perfect. Thanks for the link and the info.

Comment

Some mobile phones allow you to record the current call. I recorded a customer service call, where the people at the call centre were taking the piss out of me, and so I sent it to their management. I soon got what I wanted, sorted out (and hopefully they got a bollocking).

Comment

Most mobiles let you record the conversation (use it a lot on my SonyEricsson) but it's not going to be suitable for you if your doing long interviews/overseas calls.

Just use skype and the windows sound recorder.

Comment

Are you going to be using the audio, or is it just for transcription purposes? Skype-Skype with decent microphones on both ends gives far superior quality than a phone conversation, but can require a bit more of an involved setup.

Comment

It's just for transcription purposes. I won't actually be using the audio itself.

Comment

I don't know if you're in a position to open a WebEx account, but that's certainly something I've used in the past. It provides conference call abilities, as well as even desktop/application sharing, but importantly for you it allows you to record the call.

edit: they do free, full featured, trial accounts.
                Last edited by ChrisF; 25-02-2009, 06:57.

Comment

Doesn't windows sound recorder only do 1 minute sound clips? I haven't used it for a while so I can't remember well.

Take a look at Camtasia, it can record everything that happens in a window in terms of video and audio (though it will get audio from other open programs too).

Comment

Here, this looks pretty cheapy cheap. Just stick that into your computer or a dictaphone and you're away.

Comment

Sound Recorder in Vista doesn't have any time limitations.

Comment

Really? That's handy.

Except for Vista.

Comment

Working...
                        X