Depeche Mode are back !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depeche Mode are back !

I make no apologies for a new thread for the Mode as they are my fave band ever.

Great new song called 'Wrong' with a really creepy video, I can't usually be bothered with vids but this had an Unkle, Aphex Twin vibe to it.

(can't direct link to the vid so you need to choose it up in the right hand side)

Roll on the new album around May
    Last edited by merf; 24-02-2009, 10:42.

Thats a good video and a good first listen for me. I love Depeche Mode, and I'm looking forward to the new album.

Comment

Yes, Depeche Mode are good, look forward to this . .

Comment

I've listened to this a few more times now and its brilliant, sounds like a modern beefed up version of old Mode with those really sinister synths beeping away in the background.

Comment

DM are a top band. Love the video as well.

Comment

I've been a huge fan since day one but Playing the Angel left me a bit cold and is still the only album of theirs that I've never really got into. So I was a bit apprehensive before listening to this but I really liked it. Roll on May!
            Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

I've been in since day 1 as well and even the ropey albums like Exciter and Playing the Angel still manage a few amazing tracks that just about make up for the filler.

I know lots of people quote Violator as their fave complete album but I've always been a huge fan of Music for the Mass and Black Celebration, don't think this new song would be out of place on either of those classics.

Comment

I must be the oddity! I really like Exciter (took a while though) and I thought Playing the Angel was amazing. As much as I love a lot of the older albums I would have to say my favorite is the one that got me onto Depeche Mode in the first place - Ultra.

Comment

they are all with merit and no clunkers for me, I've bought them all for the 3rd time having the originals on tape, then replaced with CD then got the remasters with extra tracks and making of documentaries last year !

Ultra had some amazing tracks and lyrics and came about at the height of Dave Gahan's meltdown, the making of doc reveals some really interesting stuff that highlights how f***ed up things were, amazing it got made.

Exciter had some nice moments but felt a little 'phoned in' for me.

If you like Ultra I'd say check out Dave Gahans recent solo album (if you haven't), some good tracks on there with a similar feel.

I love the look of the deluxe box set of the new one.

I am a bit of a mode nut though, even got a special Japanese box set of remixes that was deleted on day of issue.

Comment

I have both of Dave Gahan's solo albums, and I especially like the 2nd one. I just pre ordered that big box set for the new album. I'm a sucker for limited stuff.

Comment

I'm a total DM nut, my fave being Violator, but I've been revisiting their early 80s poppy stuff recently and though a lot of it has a dated sound (with all the burbling popcorn synths) it truly sounds fresh and different and exciting. Some of it is absolute scheisse ('Boys Say Go', for instance) but stuff like 'Tora Tora Tora', 'Photographic' and 'The Meaning Of Love' are fab-o-tastic.

I'm hoping this new album will be a return to the golden era, classic moody Mode, with lots of dark synth chords, betwixt the Black Celebration/Violator vibe. I can't actually listen to the track as I'm in a library at present, but I'll check it later when I get back. What's good about them is that they don't seem to get **** as they get older, even patchy albums like Playing The Angel still reveal quality on repeated listens.
                      Last edited by JazzFunk; 02-03-2009, 22:32.

Comment

I quite fancy buying the 3 CD set but I'm really not liking the price for it at the moment. I remember paying a fortune for a complete set of a DM single collection ages ago and I don't even know where they are now.

I've seen people pay silly amounts for each volume (X1 & X2) if they are mint, which mine are/were.

I've only got the Violator & Songs of Faith & Devotion collectors edition now and I keep meaning to buy the others. It's a bit annoying that the extra songs are on a DVD rather than CD though.

What's the best price people have seen for Sounds of The Universe 3CD sets I really don't fancy paying ?60 for it if I can avoid it?

Comment

i ordered mine on amazon for pennies under £60, I'm not sure how limited it is (if at all) and wanted to make sure of one.

for me the highlight of the collector editions were the surprisingly good making of films for each album (in addition to the remasters of course), the 5:1 mixes and bonus tracks weren't that interesting. Seem to recall amazon again did a decent £10 price on all of them at the time they came out

Comment

I've got my Sounds of The Universe on order from play. It's costing me ?60 as well, I'm really looking forward to the new album and the gig at O2 at the end of May.

Comment

Just listened... a few times, addictive. Good sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X