Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cage Fighting/MMA

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever been to a Cage Fighting/MMA event before??

There's one near me this coming weekend in Brentwood & I'm tempted to go along as I quite enjoy watching it on TV but not sure what to expect really.

Just wondered if anyone had first hand experience of the events before I stump up the ?50 a seat asking price only to find it's not as fun asI'd hoped

Oh it's this event BTW...

UK.COM is the UK's preferred domain extension, offering excellent names together with high global and local visibility. Give your business the benefit of a UK.COM domain name.

Neil

I haven't been to a live event but i do watch them such as Strikeforce, Pride or K-1. I would like to go to a live event but from what i've seen the UK is growing quite quick in the scene but compared to the likes of the United States and Japan i'm sure it will be mainstream soon.

Comment

I've been to one before - ran by an affiliate of Cage Rage when they were in business. I am a huge UFC fan so thought it would be a great event.

What I saw were mostly idiot fighters going unconscious because they had no ground skills, got choked early and refused to tap. The crowd was also quite thuggish - people just looking for blood. Don't expect any crowd pops for someone moving from side control into a full guard though!

Hopefully the fighters you see will be better equipped in the ground game as this was about 3 years ago. Oh, and the crowd will hopefully be more educated.

Comment

not much help but I went to the Lumpini (not sure of spelling) in Bangkok for a bit of Thai Kickboxing action a few years back, had ringside seats and was shocked at how savage it is in the flesh, tv removes a lot of the nasties.

it didn't cost £50 to get in though, probably nearer 50p

Comment

It's the crowd I'm most worried about to be honest...I'm expecting fairly middle of the road fighting if I do go.

The crowd on the other hand I have visions of being like you said a tad on the thuggish side & not the most amicable people if things dont go the way they expect.

I'm still tempted but I expect I'll be keeping my head down if it does pan out like expected

Neil

Comment

I went to the UFC at the Royal Albert Hall which was a long time ago now, it was good stuff, even though im more of a boxing fan I still enjoyed the UFC.

I didn't see any problems with the crowd/thug behaviour etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl View Post
              I went to the UFC at the Royal Albert Hall which was a long time ago now, it was good stuff, even though im more of a boxing fan I still enjoyed the UFC.

I didn't see any problems with the crowd/thug behaviour etc.
              Nice, I was at that UFC too. Those were different times though, back then MMA in the UK was tight community.

I've been an MMA fan for eleven odd years and I've been to a fair few shows in the UK and I must say almost all have been enjoyable. You get some idiots at smaller shows but the crowd are no less knowledgeable than anywhere else, there are plenty of fans booing anytime a fight hits the mat at a UFC show for instance. The problem with small shows is the drunk idiots are more noticeable.

It terms of the show itself, CFC put on some decent cards and there's certainly a few talented guys on the card. There's a cracking fight for the WW title between Henrique Santana and Yasubey Enemoto (who's a talented guy fighting for the first time here), I was thinking about going down just to see that.

Comment

At the missus' stable, her mate shares a horse with some guy called Ian Freeman, who is apparently a big cage fighter. British Champion in something or other.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  At the missus' stable, her mate shares a horse with some guy called Ian Freeman, who is apparently a big cage fighter. British Champion in something or other.
                  Ian Freeman... more or less the original daddy of British MMA.

It's great living in Korea. Not only are all the UFC/Affliction PPVs on free-to-air (usually on Sunday mornings thanks to the time difference), as well as boxing and K1, martial arts are such an everyday part of life. There are taekwondo gyms (called gwans) literally on every corner, and Muay Thai gyms all over the place too. Back in England I wouldn't normally volunteer the information that I do Muay Thai, due to a (somewhat justified) perception of martial arts practitioners as being thuggish. Here, though, martial arts are as mainstream as playing football or tennis.

To the OP - go and see the event, live fighting doesn't compare to watching it on telly for the atmosphere, along with all the fascinating details you miss out on. 50 quid is a bit steep, though...

Anyone watching UFC 96 this weekend?

Comment

Big UFC fan here also, won tickets to the event at 02 three weeks back, but couldn't go due to a wedding. Major disappointment. Not a spectacular line up this weekned by the looks of it, but the Jackson fight should be great.

Hopefully the UFC will be back at 02 in the summer and I'll certainly be there this time.

£50 for CFC in Brentwood does seem a bit pricey, the UFC tickets start at £45.

Tried to get some free tickets for CFC last time around (six months back) and no joy, think it's virtually a sell out crowd. Can't see the crowd being much trouble Soundwave, let us know what it's like if you do go.
                    Last edited by VR46; 06-03-2009, 09:53. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

Still undecided about going

Trying to find someone to go with at the moment...Mrs hates it thinks it's barbaric so no chance of taking her & none of my mates seem the slightest bit interested

On a side note though I did discover that they have £30 seats as well, so if I do go could be a cheaper night.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        Still undecided about going

Neil

Do it. Do it.

Comment

Reviving the old thread becuase I chickened out of the last one
                          But CFC 6 is booking now for the Circus Tavern in Purfleet on 25th April & I'm just sorting out final details with my Brother & one of my mates to get tickets this weekend

UK.COM is the UK's preferred domain extension, offering excellent names together with high global and local visibility. Give your business the benefit of a UK.COM domain name.

We are looking at the £50 tickets for the VIP cageside treatment

Fingers crossed will be a good round of matches.

Neil

Comment

Definitely do it! There's nowt better than actully being there!

I went to UFC 70 in Manchester and UFC 75 in London and even though we got the crap seats and really high up, the projected screens make up for it...

Oh, and the atmosphere... It's absolutely electric!

I just wish I could afford to goto Las Vegas for UFC 100!!!

Comment

Lesnar/Mir 2 is going to be colossal. I love the match-up: a Brazilian jiujitsu master against a classic American wrestling machine. Mir's a canny fighter, but how much has Lesnar learned since their last fight? He won't be getting armbarred again, I don't think. This is a very deep card with some great matches - Thiago/Fitch, Henderson/Bisping, St-Pierre/Alves... should be a cracker.

Comment

Working...
                              X