Blueyonder 2Mb Broadband now here !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueyonder 2Mb Broadband now here !

A while ago in the old forum I asked about any ISP's offering a 2Mb service and outside of business lines / off peak services the answer was no

Telewest have just launched a test run of the new 2Mb service to existing 1Mb customer at http://fastest.blueyonder.co.uk unfortunately the upload speed will stay at 256Kb initially.

The trial was open to the first 1500 to sign up and I managed to get in ! I also kicked up a massive stink about no increase in upload speed on their bulletin boards. Telewest tend to listen to their customers so hear's hoping.

Rumours are the service will cost ?55 - ?100 on go live with most people suggesting around the ?80 mark !!! Its free for me at the moment and I will post some more impressions in the evening once I have tested it if anyone is interested ? Also if anyone has any questions please ask

Wow, that's brilliant. Interested to hear what it's like. I'm on DSL myself but there's always the option of moving to a Telewest area

Mainly interested in the max speed/bandwidth you get. Is it a constant ~240k per sec with no download limits?

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
      Wow, that's brilliant. Interested to hear what it's like. I'm on DSL myself but there's always the option of moving to a Telewest area

Mainly interested in the max speed/bandwidth you get. Is it a constant ~240k per sec with no download limits?

Its a 3 week free trial and unlike NTL there are no download limits. If anyone wants to download a given file from a site and wants me to do the same to benchmark let me know, providing the file is suitable of course

I have Internet Explorer 6 and DAP to download with and can compare on both if necessary.

Comment

I signed up for this as well.

I dont know of anyone who has been actually activated yet. Have you Kamaran?

Comment

Originally posted by SS004
          I signed up for this as well.

I dont know of anyone who has been actually activated yet. Have you Kamaran?
          Yes I have mate - I recieved the email a few hours ago

Comment

Cool

/Me waits for email from BY.

Comment

Originally posted by SS004
              Cool

/Me waits for email from BY.
              I got 2

The first one titled: 2Mbps trial Launch
              blueyonder Announcement of 27 Mar 2003 11:50
              Submitted by : The team at blueyonder
              Department : blueyonder Technical Support

We have received an unprecedented level of interest in our 2Mb
              blueyonder broadband trial, with thousands of our 1Mb customers eager to
              step up their internet connection another gear. The registration web
              site went live yesterday evening and we received hundreds of entries
              within the first few minutes.

Due to the massive level of demand, our servers initially struggled to
              cope and the registration site was unavailable for intermittent periods
              during the evening.

We're delighted to announce that all 1,500 places on the trial have been
              snapped up overnight and we're now looking forward to hearing customer's
              feedback during the trial. We apologise to anyone who feels disappointed
              if they failed to make it onto the trial, and for any frustrations
              caused by the registration site being temporarily unavailable. Even we
              didn't anticipate such overwhelming interest in the pilot service!
              At that point I thought I might have been rejected

Then at 1pm came : blueyonder 2Mb service ready for trial!

blueyonder is pleased to inform you that your exclusive 2Mb trial is now ready to go.

All you need to do is follow the instructions below and your internet connection will seamlessly transform from 1Mb to 2Mb, giving you the fastest home Internet connection in the UK.

Switch off your cable modem.
              Unplug the cable modem from the mains electricity supply for approximately 30 seconds.
              Plug your cable modem back into the electricity supply.

The amazing 2Mb service will be your default Internet service until April 13th and you'll pay no more for it than your current blueyonder 1Mb monthly charge. We will contact you at the end of the trial to resume your 1Mb service. You will also hear from our market research agency so you can tell us what it's really like.

And, if after the trial you decide you can't live without the speed you can pre-register for blueyonder 2Mb in preparation for its national launch.

We hope you enjoy the latest blueyonder experience and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Best wishes

The blueyonder team
              Good luck !

Comment

I'm not sure if I'd pay more than ?50 for this, but I'm definitely interested if they increase the upload to 512Kb or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelzebot
                  I'm not sure if I'd pay more than ?50 for this, but I'm definitely interested if they increase the upload to 512Kb or more.
                  Same here - im sure i'll enjoy it while it lasts

Comment

I wish they would accept the fact that for gamers, upload speed is almost as important as donwload. I'm waiting for the day my connection allows me to serve 16 player games on xbc 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Hass
                      I wish they would accept the fact that for gamers, upload speed is almost as important as donwload. I'm waiting for the day my connection allows me to serve 16 player games on xbc 8)
                      I hear you

Comment

I have business ADSL 2M down 512K up and the xbox runs out of processing power long before the bandwidth is used up :-)

Neil.

Comment

I got back from holiday this morning and found an email about it waiting for me. Too late though

If they don't increase the upload then i won't be upgrading, and i certainly wouldn't pay more than ?50 for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae
                            I have business ADSL 2M down 512K up and the xbox runs out of processing power long before the bandwidth is used up :-)

Neil.
                            Drools

Comment

10mbit down / 10mbit up.

Now, if only my uni's ITS didn't port block :P

Comment

Working...
                              X