first car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first car

Looking for my first car and found one on the notice board in work hoping some one can answer a couple of questions for me as the person selling it is not the owner (owners mum and knows nothing apart of advert info)

its a
    1997 R CITROEN SAXO 1.1i SX 3 Door Hatchback
    BLUE, Insurance Group 4, 68000 Miles
    ? ?695

was wondering the follwoing things
    • is the price ok
    • any thing i should look out for
    • does this model have power steering

the last one about power steering is confusing as by looking on auto trader some of them do some do not.
    any advice would be great.

also to give this post a bit more fun what was your first car

My first car (MK3 Golf, 1.4) didn't have power-steering and I never found it to be a problem. On something as light as a Saxo I wouldn't even get too hung up on it if you like the car and it seems tidy and reliable.

The price seems about right too and, although I can't think of anything specific to watch for, French cars of the 90's weren't really known for their build-quality so do look out for loose bits of dash and faulty electrics etc.

Happy Motoring
    Last edited by dotoko; 07-03-2009, 01:23.

Comment

Have a wee look at these links for some more info on the Saxo range.

My mate had a facelifted VTR model and it was actually very reliable the whole time he owned it.

Comment

I dont know a huge amount about cars, but I think a lot of buying involves some pot luck. Considering the current economical climate, I do think it sounds a little bit expensive, take a look at it, check out its service history, how many miles does it have on the clock, has the cambelt been changed...think it would be about due to have this done, stuff like that, I would then offer £500 and see what happens.

Comment

They are tinny and rattle, but well, it's French so nothing new there.

The price is a little high, but that is negotiable right?

Mot? tax? history? - Should have some of all three for that money, and if they haven't, then there is your negotiating point.

I wouldnt be fussed about the power steering, they are nice and light on the front end anyway.

Overall they are a very basic car, but i'd certainly put one over a fiesta/punto of the same age/spec.

I had a Mk1 golf gls for my first car - Showing my age a bit there

Comment

Are you aiming at that car because it's the first thing that appeared? Or is it actually a car you want? Worth looking around for something you really want than just taking the easy option.

Comment

been looking at all different cars since passing on the 27th just thus saxo seems a good option should be going for a closer look later and waiting to hear back about viewing a a R reg micro vibe which as has 10 months mot and 2 months tax 998cc engine they asking for about 595.

Comment

Working...
              X