Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st MMR Vacination, is it safe?

Hi there.

I wonder if there are any parents here know if the MMR vacination is safe?
    My little boy is coming up to 13 months and his first jab is very soon.

I remember a few years ago there was a big fuss. Regarding PM Tony Blair and his newborn not taking the jabs, due to it being unsafe for some reason.

If so,can i refuse and is there any alternatives?

It was possible to refuse and get the three jags individually but I'm not sure that is the case anymore.
    Regarding the Blairs' wee one IIRC he did get the MMR jab but it wasn't their original choice. Loads of kids round the UK have had it and it seems safe but it's down to the individual parents to do some research and decide.

Comment

I let my little boy have it and he's been fine (apart from feeling a little under the weather for a day or so after having it).

Comment

My son has had it an has had no problems at all. I think there was some link to autism (sp?) but it has been proved safe since the claims.

I believe doctors are worried about an outbreak of measles due to people not getting thier childern vaccinated...which is quite dangerous in itself

Comment

It was never unsafe, I believe the papers claiming links to autism were discredited. You don't see that in the media though.

Comment

Originally posted by no9 View Post
            Hi there.

I wonder if there are any parents here know if the MMR vacination is safe?
            My little boy is coming up to 13 months and his first jab is very soon.

I remember a few years ago there was a big fuss. Regarding PM Tony Blair and his newborn not taking the jabs, due to it being unsafe for some reason.

If so,can i refuse and is there any alternatives?
            Hooo boy...

There is no link between MMR and autism. At all. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. nil.

The one, single study which claimed this was a flawed study where the children examined were children of the people who funded the study and wanted to use it to sue. Every single study afterwards has shown no link. Autism symptoms naturally show up around the same time as the jab so people think their child suddenly became autistic because of the jab.

The trace amount of mercury in jabs was proven to be harmless and injections haven't used mercury for years (which kinda puts a dampener on the 'austism rates are rising, its because of the mercury' argument).

There is always a risk of a reaction to a jab, you are after all injecting dead bacteria. However these risks are far less than the risk of catching the diseases it protects against, particularly measles. Children can die from measles, it's not a trivial disease and the rates of MMR injects have fallen to a low enough level for universal protection not to exist. A large scale measles outbreak is now a possiblity thanks to selfish parents. Not getting the jab not only puts their own child at risk, it puts lots of other people at risk.

Sorry to rant but this annoys me. You get all the tabloids going 'WHY WON'T THEY GIVE US THE FACTS?!?!?' when they ignore the fact that MMR has comprehensively been proven not to cause autism. What they really mean is "WHY WON'T SOMEONE TELL US IT'S DANGEROUS SO WE CAN BE PROVEN RIGHT AND SELL MORE PAPERS BY PUTTING THE COUNTRY'S HEALTH AT RISK!?!?".

Comment

What abigsmurf said.

Comment

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and I can tell you that vaccinations are the main source of revenue all companies in this sector are concentrating on as it's big money.

You draw your own conclusions, don't just give it without doing your research.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  Hooo boy...

There is no link between MMR and autism. At all. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. nil.

The one, single study which claimed this was a flawed study where the children examined were children of the people who funded the study and wanted to use it to sue. Every single study afterwards has shown no link. Autism symptoms naturally show up around the same time as the jab so people think their child suddenly became autistic because of the jab.

The trace amount of mercury in jabs was proven to be harmless and injections haven't used mercury for years (which kinda puts a dampener on the 'austism rates are rising, its because of the mercury' argument).

There is always a risk of a reaction to a jab, you are after all injecting dead bacteria. However these risks are far less than the risk of catching the diseases it protects against, particularly measles. Children can die from measles, it's not a trivial disease and the rates of MMR injects have fallen to a low enough level for universal protection not to exist. A large scale measles outbreak is now a possiblity thanks to selfish parents. Not getting the jab not only puts their own child at risk, it puts lots of other people at risk.

Sorry to rant but this annoys me. You get all the tabloids going 'WHY WON'T THEY GIVE US THE FACTS?!?!?' when they ignore the fact that MMR has comprehensively been proven not to cause autism. What they really mean is "WHY WON'T SOMEONE TELL US IT'S DANGEROUS SO WE CAN BE PROVEN RIGHT AND SELL MORE PAPERS BY PUTTING THE COUNTRY'S HEALTH AT RISK!?!?".
                  There may be no mercury any more, how about the formaldehyde and diploid cells from aborted foetus'? Amongst all the other crap.

MMR is not a dead bacteria as you put it, it is ALIVE.

To the original poster, please do your own research, you owe it to your child.

Comment

Both of my girls have had them and I've had no trouble at all, if that's any help. I've yet to see, hear or read anything that's made me nervous about the choice.

Comment

Us too, no problems with our daughter - apart from her wanting a pet Giraffe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre View Post
                        I work in the pharmaceutical industry and I can tell you that vaccinations are the main source of revenue all companies in this sector are concentrating on as it's big money.

And what exactly do you do in the "pharmaceutical industry" ?

Comment

You don't even need to bother to go to a calculator to get some idea of just how big it is. Whole countries where every single child born each year is vaccinated against multiple diseases. A guaranteed market of not just a percentage - it's all of them. Everyone.

There is no doubt that huge numbers, the majority, get the vaccines with no ill effects. It is not a case of vaccinate your child, say hello to autism or anything else. As said, the main study was discredited and not repeatable. And yet the consistency of anecdotal evidence not involving that trial would alarm me. But that's all it is - anectdotal. Not something you can make much of a call on.

But, more than that, if you consider just how much it is worth - every single child - I don't trust for a second that any trial that proved any in-use vaccination was anything other than safe wouldn't be silenced. It's just worth too much. All trials need to be paid for and business that big can't be trusted.

Comment

There may be no mercury any more, how about the formaldehyde and diploid cells from aborted foetus'? Amongst all the other crap.

MMR is not a dead bacteria as you put it, it is ALIVE.
                            Actually, I believe it's chick embryo cell culture, human diploid lung fibroblasts (the cell line of which is, yes, derived from a single aborted human fetus back in 1964 but you make it sound like they take it straight from the womb every time they need one!) and no formaldehyde in the vaccine. I'd also like to add that cell lines derived from an aborted fetus are used in other vaccines, such as Polio, a certain Chickenpox vaccine, the solo rubella vaccine and two Hepatitis A vaccines from what I an recall.

Also, they are (live, attenuated) viruses, not bacteria.

I did some poking around and found some sites that might be useful to the OP:

An article talking about the initial Wakefield paper that kick-started the whole thing, and the CDC page (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) on the MMR vaccine. Hope that helps.

Ultimately, it is up to you to make the choice you feel is best. People can be as paranoid/cynical as they like about MMR, pharmaceutical companies etc. but in the end Measles, Mumps and Rubella are very dangerous, highly contagious diseases and people do die from them.
                            Last edited by Stormtec; 17-03-2009, 14:23.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                              Hooo boy...
                              QFT.

The papers talk nonsense, everyone stops getting vaccinated. Then they gloat and say ?see the vaccine doesn?t work!? when in fact it does work, but because parents were put off by the wank talking papers, herd immunity went down and the unvaccinated kids caught the disease.

Pretty sure after a few years (once I assume R&D is paid for and a profit is made) other companies are given the right to make identical drugs.

It?s hardly the best business model in the world is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X