Apparently, I'm British

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, I'm British

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not looking for legal advice here. If anyone has any anecdotes to share that seem pertinent, I wouldn't mind hearing them, but mostly this is just a post because this is the only forum I actively participate in and it's not really a topic I can bring up at work without getting looked at funny.

My mother's from Glasgow, as is her entire family. She moved to the US in the 1960s but has quite refused to take US citizenship; this is something of a point of pride with her.

When I was born, in the 1970s, citizenship only passed down via British fathers, so I've been an American all my life.

Apparently, at some point in the last 30-mumble years, the rules changed, the UK government no longer considers women second-class citizens, and all it will take for me to claim dual citizenship is to fill out a form, find a couple of character witnesses, and, oh yes, pay about 500 pounds application fee, non-refundable if there's any problem.

I found out about this last week, no idea when the rules changed.

I'm a bit hesitant to do it while I'm still in school, since I'm getting Federal aid and the last thing I want the US government to do is to say "Oh, look, you're Britain's problem, take up your education with them", so this is sort of a long term thing.

AND, I honestly don't have any practical use for dual citizenship other than, well, it would be an easy explanation for the next waitress that looked at me funny when I asked for mayo with my fries.

Chips, I mean. Damnit.

But, there's just a touch of built up annoyance about the whole thing where I didn't get it automatically because it happened to be my mother. I won't deny that.

So, anyone gone through this or know anyone who has? If you happen to have a story like "oh, yeah, my buddy did this and HM Revenue came after him for 20 years of back taxes", that would be good to know about in advance, sort of thing.

Embrace it and you will receive the best passport in the world, in my opinion, and also an open door to the whole of the EU.

Comment

Well it would certainly be handy for you to sort out one day. And i wouldn't worry about anyone coming after you for back taxes etc as you've been working living in america and are subject to there laws.

And as richard john said itle open up the whole EU for you. Go for it!

Comment

Mayo and Fries = Belgian, most certainly not British.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
          Mayo and Fries = Belgian, most certainly not British.
          Yeah man, they f*cking drown them in that sh*t!

Comment

I first heard about that from some Dutch friends. It is rather tasty. If you add a bit of ketchup to the mayo you get a kind of prawn cocktail thing going on.

Comment

There's a bizarre sense of needing to have some history for a lot of Americans, I find.

I've met several Americans that claim that they're Irish because their ancestors used to live in Ireland and they've visited Dublin once.

Going somewhere once doesn't make you from there!

Does Neil Armstrong say "Oh yeah, I'm from The Moon."?

You're lucky enough to have a genuine claim, so go for it!

I don't think there's any tax implications as you don't actually live here, but I can see the advantages of having a Euro passport.

Why not get it sorted then organise a Eurotrip soon after? You'll spend more time in the cities than in the airport security.

Comment

Sounds like a bum deal to me that does mate. £500 or EU access? Take the money and run, FAR AWAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BaudAttitude View Post
                  My mother's from Glasgow, as is her entire family. She moved to the US in the 1960s but has quite refused to take US citizenship; this is something of a point of pride with her.

I asked for mayo with my fries.

Chips, I mean. Damnit.
                  firstly your mum sounds acers - i'm from Glasgow as well

Get yourself a deep fried pizza and prove your Scottish heritage

and another to point outus Brits dont do the whole mayo thing, personally i thought it was the Dutch moreso than the Belgians - but when i was in Amsterdam i had it and it was nice

but Dual nationality sounds like a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                    Get yourself a deep fried pizza and prove your Scottish heritage
                    LOL! And here's me thinking it was my grandad being a dickhead deep frying pizzas all this time!! He still deep fries everything ffs...

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                      I first heard about that from some Dutch friends. It is rather tasty. If you add a bit of ketchup to the mayo you get a kind of prawn cocktail thing going on.
                      I do that with bacon butties. Tis lovely indeedy.

Comment

French fries and mayo are nice but real British chips can only go with salt and vinegar, in my opinion. Curry sauce is tasty too....LOL

Comment

You can't beat a tray of chips from the chippy draped with gravy..I could go back home just for that.

Comment

On the rare occasion that I have KFC I always buy a large side of gravy just for the chips.

Comment

When I went to McDonalds when I was younger I used to mix the BBQ sauce and Mayo into a lovely sticky mixture. They don't do mayo anymore though

Comment

Working...
                              X