Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Good to see Mr Lee on TV again, doing what he does best.

Aye, thought it was very funny.

Comment

Me too - loved how that bit about

the rappers, that you see on the top of the pops, and round by the multi-story, just went on and on and on and on!!

Comment

It was OK. I didn't watch it at the time, I had no idea it was on, but I've since watched it on iPlayer. While it was funny in places, it seemed a bit dumbed down for Lee. Picking on books by Chris Moyles and Russell Brand and some guy from the So Solid Crew who probably can't spell his own name? Anyone could write comedy about that.

The rappers thing went on for waaaaaay too long too.

Comment

I watched it last night. I'm not sure about Stewart Lee. I found myself warming to him one moment - then feeling cold about his attitude the next. He clearly believes that what he is completely right with his opinions - and also feels deep angst towards the things he has issues with.

I found some of his act to be pretty childish. It irritated me when he fell to floor - and started talking to an imaginary character. Also when he was hanging from the balcony looking strained. It seemed desperate to me.

I don't know who he will appeal to? ... He had a major rant against the classic 'Bar Scene' from Only Fools & Horses - but.. he neglected to respect the scene in its entirety. He focused on the bit when Del Boy falls through the bar, but.. it's the whole scenario of that scene that makes it so funny. Picking on the conclusion to it - misses the point of why it's funny and much loved.

Stewart is an angry man. If he was 18-25 - he could be an Emo. That's how he comes across( despite wearing a suit and looking middle aged ) ... I think he's desperate to find fault in many things - but ultimately comes across as someone who is just moaning about nothing really. I decided by the end of the show - that he had pissed me off more than anything.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-03-2009, 13:14.

Comment

He appeals to Stewart Lee fans
            Seriously though I'm just glad to see him back on TV, always enjoy any of his appearances on panel shows and he knows how to 'deliver' in stand up.
            Watched the "books" episode few days ago I properlly laughed my tits off at some of it, especially at the moyles "butt clenchingly honest" quote, that was well spotted.
            Toilet Duck Yes, Toilet Book No.
            Liked the little interludes too good to see Simon Munnary and Kevin Eldon in there of course and more.
            Will watch this one tonight see what the fuss is about.

Comment

I like the first two. I was a huge fan of fist of fun and "TMWRNJ", so I'm pleased to see the man back on tv. For me he is funnier than most of the so called comedy on television at the moment.

Comment

Loved fist of fun back in the day, so I'm very glad he is back to. The books episode was definately better than last nights, but the bit at the end when he was hanging off the balcony was excellent.

Also, if you press the red button on digital you can get short interviews for each episode, with Armanndo Iannucci interviewing him. Its all very sarcastic and funny.

Comment

Next episode will be fun, something very close to Mr Lee's heart Political Correctness

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                    Next episode will be fun, something very close to Mr Lee's heart Political Correctness
                    I look forward to that. I think the episode I watched was focused on subjects that didn't appeal to me. I mean.. taking the piss out of Channel4 and a classic scene from Only Fools & Horses - just didn't make me laugh.

I don't think I'll ever be a fan of Stewart's, but.. I will give him a chance. It will depend on the subjects - and if I agree with what he says about them.

Comment

The sewage channel 4 joke was good, but it was overused in the show. I like his smugness though.

Comment

He's my favorite living comedian. Seen him live a few times, sometimes with Richard Herring. Not seen last night's one yet but I've seen him do the Fools and Horses bit before. It probably helps a great deal that - up til now - I have been in total agreement with everything he says. I hate the same things as him etc.

Comment

Lee is style over substance. A lot of what he says is not particularly funny.

He just seems to say it in a very funny way.

He is my fave comedian - just too many classics that it is no good to retell. It genuinely is all in the timing. The Ang Lee joke (youtube it) is just phenomenally told.

Comment

I agree with that - great delivery but the material can be a little weak. I'm with him on the Del Boy thing though. How that won 'best comedy moment ever' is beyond me.

He's a massive fan of The Fall too (I've seen him at a gig), so he's definately got his critical faculties in order .

Comment

All his jokes are based around a few simple themes and I can see how some people will just not get it or like it. His sketch about him mum claiming that Tom O'Conner told the world's funniest joke is a personal favorite.

Comment

Working...
                              X