Moving to Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Dublin

My g/f has recently moved to Dublin with work, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to bite the bullet and move over there too.

I know a few people on here live in Ireland, so I'm looking for some general pointers about moving over there.

I'll be working freelance, which I've already started, so that's more or less sorted (I just need to look into tax issues etc.), so I'm looking for stuff like:

- decent areas of Dublin to live in, places with reasonable-ish rents (g/f is working in Dun Laoghaire, so near there would be a bonus, but I know it ain't cheap round there and it's not absolutely essential)
    - which suppliers are good for broadband/phone etc. (a decent and reliable bb connection is vital because I'll need it for work)
    - any other useful moving-to-Dublin type info and any local knowledge as regards good points, bad points etc.

I don't know Dublin particularly well (I spent a week in Dun Laoghaire myself with work a few years back), and I've been there the odd day or two since my folks live in Co. Down, so any tips or info gratefully received!

Cheers

I'v been there a couple of times and I can tell you it's bloody expensive!

Comment

Well it’s certainly expensive or at least it was until all this recession business which has seen house prices drop quite drastically. If your Girlfriend is working in Dun Laoghaire and your working freelance I guess the best thing would be to try and rent a property which runs along the dart line which is the main commuter route to the city passing through Dun Laoghaire. It starts in Bray which is about 20mins outside Dun Laoghaire and goes straight into Dublin city centre. Much will depend on what you want to spend on rent but from my experience of visiting passing through etc the nicest areas along the commuter line would be Dalkey, Glenageary, any of the areas around Lansdowne Road (although expensive) and there are a lot of new apartment developments in or very close to Dublin city centre itself. On the cheaper end of the scale Bray is not bad at all and it’s less than an hour into Dublin from there. Just outside Bray and still on the Dart line is Greystones, the trains etc are much less frequent from here but there are some lovely areas in the town and I’d imagine the rent would be cheapest.

When it comes to broadband/phone etc it depends on where you are. The city centre will have the best connections but they can be expensive. Eircom or BT tend to be the best when it comes to fast reliable connections but coming from England you’ll probably find them to be worse than what your used to. Perlico are my provider (3meg) and for what I need their fine, and there are plenty of other smaller companies which offer ok value for money compared to the bigger ones such as eircom or BT. At the moment I believe about 20meg is the absolute best you can get, BT offer a good 8meg connection but the average speed is probably only 3 or 4meg.

Not sure where in the U.K you’re coming from but Dublin is small compared to any of the big U.K cities. It’s still got some great nightlife however, Temple Bar is a great place if you’re just looking for a pub like environment and there’s some great new venues close by such as the button factory although it’s mostly full of student types. Other favourites include Fibbers/Bruxelles/Spy/The Porterhouse/Zanzibar/ the Dandelion/ The Academy and there’s a few more I can’t think of off the top of my head but the general best areas are temple bar, Grafton Street and the areas in between. If clubs aren’t your thing then I’m sure there’s other entertainment. For more tourist like pursuits check out the likes of Powerscourt and Glendalough which are great places for walking/Hiking etc.

Irelands not a bad place at all, best of luck with the move.
      Last edited by Fargo; 25-03-2009, 15:20.

Comment

Dublin? Are you nuts?

But, yeah, as Fargo advises, look for somewhere along the DART line (that's the train, they aren't even sharp). You'll want to stick south side if your gf is in Dun Laoghaire - it's well serviced by train and bus routes compared to most areas of Dublin but it's still a good way out. I would imagine you'd actually have an easy enough time finding affordable rented places close enough to Dun Laoghaire but do look around. Many of the places people rent out are dumps, which are fine for students but not us actual human beings. There's an art college in Dun Laoghaire and they have even lower living standards.

I'd hold off buying. Prices are dropping mostly and there's a massive amount of places for sale that haven't dropped their prices, which is why they aren't shifting. I'd say they'll cave and it will drop more.

The Irish economy is in absolute **** by the way. Most people are trying to get out! Town is like a dead zone. Every day, another office vanishes and a 'to let' sign goes up. It's actually quite scary.

In terms of broadband, Eircom will shaft you and pray you never have to get them to sort something out (their customer service is atrocious) but once they get you up and running they're actually seemingly the most reliable out there. There are more, like Perlico as Fargo suggested, that may be great but there were a bunch of companies for a while that just came with no end of connection troubles and so on.

Too many bad points to list, many of which are covered in that little informational video. Good points... English is a first language. Em... we do good chips with plenty of vinegar. Go to Burdocks for some nice soggy chips, just how we like them. Oh, and while you're there, check out their list of famous people who have eaten there. Almost all of the names are spelled incorrectly and some are hilarious.

Comment

i live in ireland and it is expensive.....though i think the dole you get more money then in the uk Lol

Comment

I'm from Bray originally and it's fine for commuting in and out of the city. Dun Laoighare is about 20 mins on the DART and I had a quick look at places for rent on Daft.ie and it's cheap enough.

NTL/UPC/Chorus/whatever they're called now do a 20meg bb package for 42 euro a month and I think it's uncapped.

Comment

Yeh Im from Wales originally but used to live in Dublin for 7 years and working in BlackRock/Dun Laoghaire.

It really depends on where you want to live, how far you want to commute. I used to live in Rathmines which was close enough to walk into the city or out for a night and I used to walk to the DART each morning and head out to work.

Comment

Thanks for the replies dudes.

Having looked into it a bit more, rents don't seem to be too outrageous and I reckon we'll be able to get a nice place reasonably affordably (I've lived in London before too, so I've been used to getting stiffed on the rent before).

6 euro a pint is taking the piss a bit though- I'll need a hook-up for decent boozers that don't cost the earth. One other thing, and I realise this could potentially be a contentious issue, where does the best guinness in Dublin?

Comment

It's not 6 euro a pint. It's about 5 euro a pint Plus the best pubs are on Camden St and Wexford St, not anywhere near Temple Bar which is stag do central at the weekends.

I don't drink the black stuff so I can't help there!

Comment

Working...
                  X