Cheap bluray players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap bluray players

How long will it be before you can pick up a decent bluray player for ?40?
    They seem to be hovering around ?160 at the mo. I'm guessing a year?

I do DVD rental and I could be watching bluray versions.

Off topic:
    Had a go on one at the weekend (my parents'.... you know you are slipping when they've got tech you haven't) and whilst pic was great, the amount of time it took to do anything useful like play the movie was annoying. Firstly it took ages to boot up. Then there was the unskippable "you dirty pirate! (hang on, you've bought this haven't you?)" messages (skippable on my XBMC on DVD) and then the short publisher movies and then the most amazing swirling intro to the menu where it showed me half the film with spoilers. And then finally the menu. And then when the film started I got to watch the same publisher movies again. And then the film lol. I know the same stuff happens on DVD, but this seemed worse. Like "we've got all this storage... .let's use it!!!"

The cheaper the BD machine (at the moment anyway), the slower the boot up time. PS3 does it nice and quick so just get one of those

Comment

Tbh I haven't really noticed that the warnings or adverts are any worse on BD, but then it's not something I'm too bothered about. Any slight delay is usually more than made up for by the picture/sound quality.

Like Dan says, just grab a PS3; it's a brilliant BD and DVD player, is always up to date thanks to the firmware, and will probably be about ?40 soon!

Comment

seen one for £120 so they are slowly falling

I would still get the ps3, £200 ish good BD playback, and a pretty cheap console to boot

Comment

I started out with a PS3 but moved over to a standalone when I got my Sony for ?130. That and the Samsung mentioned above at about the same price for a while now make me think we could see sub ?100 Sonys/Samsungs soon. If that happens you could see some of the other brands dropping down, Argos and Tesco have been doing them for ?80/90 recently (Bush/Technika), to ?50/60. Think a decent one at ?40 may be a while

Comment

The PS3 is great at playing BDs. It is pretty expensive though. I think the price of BD players will come down a lot by the autumn. The film industry will want more people buying BDs.

Comment

Under a ton!

Argos did one for ?99 before xmas, it was in their half price sale & was a poor make like Wharfdale though!

Comment

The current budget Bluray players are not worth the money, spend the extra and get a PS3 its worth it in the long run as its one of the first ones to get the new bluray firmware releases and with inbuilt wifi they can be downloaded and installed easily. I bought one to play games on but it sees more use watching movies than anything.

Comment

if youve got a pc with a decent gfx card that you could hook up to your tv this might be a nice cheap option

Get your hands on the best from our range of DVD Blu-Ray optical drives, all available at great prices and fast delivery.

Comment

not a bad price that, I have an LG combi dvd - hddvd - Bluray (writes BR as well) for less than £75 via Novatech. Add to that anydvdhd and you dont need to worry about loading times, region locks, and sodding trailers!

Got to say the PS3 supporters are on the money with loading times, wipes the floor with the latest players on the market.

Cheap players, my money would be on the supermarkets this coming xmas.

Comment

Working...
                    X