s.Darko (yup, Donnie Darko 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s.Darko (yup, Donnie Darko 2)

The trailer for S. Darko. S. Darko takes place in the summer of 1995, seven years after the original film. It follows Donnie Darko's younger sister, Samantha (Daveigh Chase), who, in the wake...

Hmmm. I enjoyed the first quite a lot but it certainly didn't need a sequel. From this trailer it looks like it misses the point by some way too.

Wow... that looks as good as... well... the first one

Comment

Note the writer/director of the first film has nothing to do with this.
      cha-ching

Comment

The best straight to DVD sequel since Ace Ventura Jr!

Yes it Exists

Comment

Donnie Darko didn't need a director's cut and it certainly doesn't need a sequel.

Cha-ching indeed.

Comment

The Director's Cut is awful and people who saw that first will always have the film tainted. What's rather amusing, given that it's a 'director's cut', is that the original has commentary by the director on the deleted scenes giving damn good reasons why none of them made it into the final film. Scenes that were edited into the director's cut.

But then he went and did Southland Tales so am I to be upset that he's not involved in this? Or relieved?

The trailer actually looks okay to me. I'll see it just out of curiosity.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

This looks awesome - was that the bird from Saved By The Bell saying about getting to the children before they spoil? THIS IS GONNA PWN HARDER THAN THE HAPPENING!1 Love the guy they got to stand in for Donnie - LOLs ABOUND!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                The best straight to DVD sequel since Ace Ventura Jr!

Yes it Exists
                Oh my!!! That looks Shocking!!!!

S.Darko may be o.k but sure it`s not gonna be a patch on the 1st. Saw the trailer a while ago don`t know how.

Comment

I saw the DC of Donnie Darko, disliked it, and never bothered with the original version - how do the added scenes alter the film so drastically?

Comment

****.Darko

Thats what it looks like to me, i thought the original film was preety good not a film that needed a sequel though.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Kelly
                      To set the record straight, here's a few facts I'd like to share with you all. I haven't read this script. I have absolutely no involvement with this production, nor will I ever be involved.
                      That's about as much involvement that I'll have in watching this, none. After Kelly's 'The Chav's Cut' re-release of Donnie Darko I'd have to question anything that he was involved in anyway.

At least it's straight to DVD/blu-ray which will hopefully keep any profits they may stumble across to an absolute minimum.

Comment

Well I said back on the previous page that I'd see this out of curiosity and now I have. I loved Donnie Darko, thought the director's cut was a real mistake and I thought Southland Tales was an absolute pile of cack. So Richard Kelly not being involved in this didn't really put me off.

But I knew it was a straight to video sequel and found a hard time seeing just how anyone could really stretch a sequel out of Darko.

And so the blu-ray was in and off I went.

It starts well. The film looks absolutely gorgeous. Shot on Red One cameras apparently and is one of the best looking films I've seen in a while. For a straight to video, that really impressed me and had me thinking that maybe this might turn out to be pretty good after all.

Daveigh Chase is very cute and plays her character perfectly but the casting of the rest of the movie wasn't so great. A bunch of pretty people mostly, some of which kind of look the same and nobody really stands out. There's also a guy you would have seen in the trailer, Iraq Jack, who even looks like Gyllenhal. I can only assume that was deliberate but it's an odd choice.

Early on, it seems many visual tricks are nicked from the original. Not a bad thing in itself but the film needed to establish its own identity and go somewhere.

And it never really did.

The film seems to find any excuse it can to rehash ideas and even shots from the first movie without really crafting a story about the characters. It's the story that really kills it here because it's all put together really well but there's just no point to any of this. It just takes every element from the original - bunny, dead people, watery tentacles, child molester, etc. - and just sort of throws them together.

And to ruin the ending in one word, it's

identical.

Yep. Really. The only thing of note is that the

story is told from a slightly different point of view with Sam taking the Frank role and Jack being Donnie.

It's a real shame that they couldn't get a reason for this film to exist or write a good story or characters because it's a damn good looking film and a pretty great soundtrack too. It's just not a great film.

Comment

I watched it, never seen the first one but I was O_O through the whole film not understanding a thing.

awful

Comment

Working...
                          X