Shearer takes charge at Newcastle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shearer takes charge at Newcastle

Just read the breaking news at the BBc website and it reckons Alan will be in charge until the end of the season.

Wow didn't see that one coming!

Comment

That'll be hilarious if he takes 'em down

Should probably work though, the short term buzz it'll give the place should be enough to see 'em clear of relegation.

BTW, not an April fool is it? I know the story was reported at 11PM but it's bloody close! I don't suppose the BBC would want to risk pissing off so many Geordies though
      Last edited by EJG1980; 31-03-2009, 23:32.

Comment

I thought it was an April fools joke too until I turned on Sky Sports News and it was on their breaking news ticker!

Comment

I can't understand why they think someone with no managerial experience is going to get them out of this one. I know the club will get a lift from his appointment, but with the run in they have they're probably going to need more than that.

Can't help but think they're making the same mistake they made appointing Keegan a second time.

Comment

Not sure who's more foolish; Shearer for taking the role or the club for taking him on.

Newcastle are in an incredibly dangerous position, Shearer at the moment is the Newcastle fan's darling, he's gambling a lifetime of goodwill from them in exchange for half a season where he'll have to work hard to prevent relegation.

Comment

^^dont really agree with that, i go to the matches and we were down anyways so it no real risk to his reputation. Everyone i know still expects us to drop then he will probably be made perm manager for promotion battle next season

Comment

Yeah, I think this is a no lose situation for Shearer (in the short-term at least).

If he keeps them up, he retains his hero status (and even gains more). If they go down, then the damage was done before he got there anyway and it was out of his control.

The possible damage could come next season if he does keep them up as fans will be clamouring for him to stay on permanently (and the Newcastle board will cave to their whims, they always do) and whether he has the managerial skills to do well over an entire season is dubious.

Comment

I can't understand why he'd give up a cushy gig on Match of the Day and a relatively stress-free, golf-filled lifestyle to enter the pressure cooker that is the Newcastle Utd Manager's role.

I agree the club are in such a position that his reputation should stay intact, at least for the short term ... but they must have waved a shed load of cash at him for this.

Might just work though ... in a similar way that Venables kept the Boro up when it looked pretty bleak, though he had a lot more games left to do it.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 01-04-2009, 12:19.

Comment

Messiah II

Comment

Have you seen the games they have left? Some hard teams. I can see them relegated to be honest!

Comment

I see Wise has gone, which is probably a good thing - couldn't imagine Shearer working with him. But then they go and hire crazy-ass Iain Dowie as assistant - lol.

Comment

Dowie will always be a legend for me, if only for scoring one of the best own goals in history (And we were playing you, if memory serves).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                            Iain Dowie
                            The unacceptable face of English football

Comment

After last night's result, the chances of them staying up must be pretty slim

Comment

Working...
                              X