LinkedIn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn

Does anyone else use this? I am still very much on the fence with regards to how useful it may be. I have a profile up and running, and have several connections & group memberships, but I don't seem to be getting a lot out of it atm...

For those that don't know, it's basically Facebook but specifically for making business connections, recommending people's work, getting jobs etc...

Just wondered if anyone has had any "success" with it?

Not sure what it's like at all. I got a couple of invites (now expired I think) but I thought - do I need another social networking thing? I know it's more geared towards actual business networking but, for me, I can't see how it would actually help. But I don't know as I never actually joined. Just seems like a poncy Facebook.

You say you're not getting a lot out of it - do you actually see other people making useful contacts or anything?

Comment

Well, I contract for a living, so the people I've connected with on there are previous employers (who have recommended me) as well as recruitment agencies. The agencies do seem to post available jobs/contracts so I am hoping to get something out that way.

I don't think I've been using it long enough yet (just a few months) to actually get anything out. It does seem to be building momentum though?

It's certainly not the sort of social networking site you'd post "hillarious" videos on.

Comment

I've had offers of interviews and stuff through it, and I know a couple of people who got jobs as a result of contacts made on LinkedIn.

Mostly, though, it just seems to be a way to get more spam from recruitment companies.

Comment

More of a online CV than a social network, it has a massive following in the US, and if you are serious about what you do (whatever that is) you should get on it

A lot of recruitement agencies in the states source there I believe? It can also be used to get in touch with people in the same line of work as you for networking if you wanted.

Comment

I use it (I'm in the first million users group and all that ****e) - and I've used it to recommend people as well. Definately worth it.

Comment

It's an excellent tool for professional networking, particularly for headhunters who easily access very useful information such as your name, current job title, key skills, and current and previous work history to discreetly contact you (either at current work place or though linkedin where possible) to sell you a new job opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
                I use it (I'm in the first million users group and all that ****e) - and I've used it to recommend people as well. Definately worth it.
                How do you know what your user number is?

It's useful for maintaining contact with ex-colleagues, or other people in your industry that you're acquainted with, but who you wouldn't necessarily have on something like Facebook. A bit more professional.

Comment

I use it and I've had a number of contacts come to me to talk about available jobs and stuff. It's been pretty decent.

I recommend it if you are wanting to network with people in the industry you're in.

If anyone here uses it and works in any related to videogames, my name is Oli Clarke Smith if you want to add me

Comment

I'm a civil servant so pretty much redundant for me

Comment

Working...
                    X