Moving to Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Australia?

Anybody on here done it, thinking of doing it etc?

We (myself, the wife and our 3yr old) are going to start the process of migrating there in the next couple of weeks or so. Looking specifically at Perth as we have several friends in that area and will hopefully be going out under a state sponsership.

I'd be very interested in hearing from people who have done the move or maybe changed their minds and decided not to go or went and then came back....

More importantly will my PAL 360, Wii and DSI work out there?

Aussie is PAL so no problems on that front.

Comment

I was actually just talking about this with the missus last night. Not just Australia specifically but things are really bad here (Ireland) and it's going to very quickly go back to the mass emigration we had in years gone by. A mate of mine was made redundant yesterday and it put the wind up me. These are scary times.

The thing with Australia is that I only seem to know people who have made the move short term (like a year or so). Never an 'uproot your family and start fresh' move so I really don't know what real life is like there. I imagine they must be hit too though, eh?

Are there any countries not hit by this recession? *packs bags while waiting for answer*

Interesting question on the consoles. My first reaction was 'of course' but with the way the stores are split these days, I'm not so sure. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Comment

i can ask our friends what they thought, he is an aircraft engineer and they moved out there for 3 years, back in the UK now because his wife just didnt like it

he loved it and his wife didnt think much of it

i know they had to earn more money out there to have a UK style standard of living, so it seems its more expensive

i wouldnt move out there, too many big Spiders they tell me stories about these crazy spiders around the house, gives me the heebie jeebies

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          i can ask our friends what they thought, he is an aircraft engineer and they moved out there for 3 years, back in the UK now because his wife just didnt like it

he loved it and his wife didnt think much of it

i know they had to earn more money out there to have a UK style standard of living, so it seems its more expensive

i wouldnt move out there, too many big Spiders they tell me stories about these crazy spiders around the house, gives me the heebie jeebies
          I'd be interested to know what his wife didn't like and what part of Oz they tried?

I hate spiders by the way....

Comment

Perth is apparently the city the furthest from any other major one in the world.
            And spiders = no thanks.

Canada is too cold for them (generally speaking)

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat View Post
              I'd be interested to know what his wife didn't like and what part of Oz they tried?

I hate spiders by the way....
              yeah i will get the missus to ask

btw she was telling me about this spider thats the most venomous in teh world, luckily for us and unlucky for the spider it has no teeth so it cant bite you

will get back to you in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Are there any countries not hit by this recession? *packs bags while waiting for answer*
                I moved to Germany (partly) for that reason, but it looks like they won't escape it either. Or at the extreme end, I have a friend who built a house in a remote part of New Zealand and now lives self-sufficiently... maybe worth it if you think things are going to get *much* worse (zombie invasion, etc).

Australia is really nice but you do feel a loooooong way away from everybody (that was in Sydney - Perth must be worse). If you're used to seeing family quite frequently then I can imagine that's a deal breaker. Don't they have something on TV where they have to make that decision?

Comment

Wasn't there a similar thread about this a while back? Anyhow I'll repeat my story. I've been living in Sydney for over 8 years now, originally from south wales but did a stint in Dublin as well for ooooh 6-7 years as well.

My best advice is that living here is bloody awesome. I personally love it here, sure it comes with it's share of negatives but they are far outweighed. If you're planning to live anywhere other than tropical Queensland rule the spider thing out right now. I've seen 3 serious spiders in my time here and two of those were up north. It's just that infrequent and event.

The biggest negative hands down is the distance to family back in the uk. I miss plenty of little things. Monster munch, good British comedy etc... But it's all trivial and obtainable here if you really must have it. What I do miss is my folks and my niece and nephew. It's pretty obvious stuff really.

The benefits? Well the lifestyle or more the attitude to work is the main one. It's very laidback and built on getting outdoors and enjoying the weather. That's really what it's all about.

If you guys have any questions just ask.

Comment

God, I'd do anything to emmigrate right now.

My Wife and I have a long term goal of her finishing her OU degree (end of next year), passing her PGCE (end of 2011) and then buggering off to somewhere that isn't the UK!

Now, in theory, this plan is sound and fairly logical, it's the intervening 2 years waiting that's the killer!

Comment

I've come back to Ozzieland after having spent the last 10 years in London and Surrey. As much as I loved it - and I did love the UK - am glad be back closer to home (in Syndey but am Qlder).

I must admit I do miss London sometimes - esp my morning coffee from Brera in Canary Wharf (and my part of SW Surrey - beautiful part of England around Godalming) but looking over the harbour + the blue skies from my desk every day more than makes up for it. At least I get to travel back to old blighty every now and then for work and catch up with mates & moan about the weather in London!!!

My advice - as long as you're happy in your work and your family are happy you'll enjoy it - just expect to cops heaps of **** about being from the uk! Just jokes - there's bloody millions of you here - and saffas.

My UK 360 works a treat - in fact I've still got my UK gold a/c running as I haven't worked out how to tfr the thing - only prob is cannot d/load the maps on GOW2 that I bought here.

And yes games are bloody expensive compared to the UK esp when you're used to buying from the states with pounds.

But pluses are: lotsa babes at the beaches and icy cold beers - cant ask for more can you?

ps big bloody spiders up in Qld but you get used to 'em (and funnel webs down here in Sydney but haven't seen one yet - hopefully never will)

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                        God, I'd do anything to emmigrate right now.

My Wife and I have a long term goal of her finishing her OU degree (end of next year), passing her PGCE (end of 2011) and then buggering off to somewhere that isn't the UK!

Now, in theory, this plan is sound and fairly logical, it's the intervening 2 years waiting that's the killer!
                        That was my exact plan, currently on my degree and moving to Aus. I am going to go out there soon for a long trip but everything I hear is great. The thing is though it seems more beneficial to save and do your PGCE in the country of origin especially Aus as it has a strange way of doing the degree!

I think it is a great idea and definitely one that is bound to change your quality of life, like others have already mentioned it comes down to wether you can sacrifice family or not in this. As it is not exactly cheap to get there! Everything I hear just makes this wait all the more annoying and think if you have the opportunity to try and do it then go for it.

However I am sure I saw a program the other day with parts of Aus that are being hit by the crunch now but I gather you have looked into the local work situation carefully.

The spiders like someone has mentioned are not too bad and the likes of funnel spiders are mostly just around Sydney, if you don't like the idea of spiders making nests in clothes on the floor then well....

Comment

Did not want to start a new topic just for this, I am going to be going to Adelaide for a year now as uni just was not happening for me.

Is anyone currently in Adelaide by any chance, I am just wondering what my chances of getting work are on a Working Holiday Visa and if anyone has done the same and managed to get sponsored at all?

Also I am transferring from HSBC to Westpac, is this a good call?

I suppose another question is with having english qualifications below Degree standard is there really much point in listing the grades on the CV or should I just keep it in line with how you would expect here?

Oh and where can you buy a grounded UK to AU plug adaptor! I am thinking I may have to wait and check out the Reject Shop when I get there?

I am sure there is more but can't think right now!

Comment

Just to start this topic up again we decided to leave it at the time but are now applying to migrate to WA (Perth) on a skilled visa (IT related). So any suggestions or help anyone can give would be appreciated. My only concern is the job profession I'm appying under comes off the list in July this year so we have approx 5 months to everything needed and get the application lodged.

We are using a migration agent and I would have to supply RPL to if anyone has any experience if doing IT related RPL's that would be great as they sound like a nightmare. Almost like a mini degree in the space of a couple of weeks.

The whole migration process is costing about 5K (which we don't have) so the lot is going on a credit card which we will pay when we sell the house etc. I must be mad as I hate having credit on anything but it's the only way we can pay.
                            Last edited by Unwell Cat; 23-01-2011, 11:17.

Comment

It might just be something I get off the telly, but I think I'd thrive in OZ and NZ. The people just seem so down to earth and enjoy the little things in life, like good food and drink.

The fact I study Chinese and Kevin Rudd is my fekkin' idol might have something to do with it Also, Masterchef Australia is awesome, can't wait till it starts again somewhere in March/April

Comment

Working...
                              X